Betta Fish Forum banner

Going on Vaction, help please

Tags
vacation
584 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Mylz 
#1 ·
So, I will be going on a one week vacation in April. And I'm trying to prep for leaving my fish alone.

I have heard some mixed things, and wondering what is wise, what I should do.

What I've heard:
Do 100% water change before leaving
Cover with a blanket
Close blinds and keep house as cool as possible
Turn off heater, make the water temperature a bit cooler (cold helps betta not be so hungry?)
Do 100% water change when back

My tank is cycled.

#2 ·
Do your usual water change routine before leaving, that's it. A healthy adult fish can easily last a week without eating, no special treatment needed.

#3 ·
This is what I would say:
Do 100% water change before leaving = yes
Cover with a blanket = yes
Close blinds and keep house as cool as possible = I would research that one
Turn off heater, make the water temperature a bit cooler (cold helps betta not be so hungry?) = I would look into that
Do 100% water change when back = yes

Do you have someone that can watch your betta while you are gone? (They don't have to do much. Just feed it and make sure it's ok)

#4 ·
I would leave the heater on. It's probably more risk to leave the temperature unregulated.

I'd just water change before leaving and after getting back.

#7 ·
I agree with both Tolak and Kaxen.

A healthy fish in a filtered and heated tank will last one week without food or water changes, while it's best to not do this frequently your little guy will be ok.

Leave the heater on, if it's adjustable turn it down a couple degrees, but if it's not then just leave it on.

Plan your regular water changes so that you do one the day you leave, then the day you get back. I would not recommend a 100% change in a cycled tank, but 50-60% would be fine.

If your fish lights are on a timer and that's what your fish is used to, then feel free to leave them how they are, although without anyone to look at the beauty of your fish then there is no real point (unless you have plants).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.