Betta Fish Forum banner

Going on vacation?

628 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Stone 
#1 ·
Hi I'm new here! Bonjour to everyone.
In June I'm going to Scotland for two weeks. And I'm not sure what to do. I'm afraid my betta's tank is going to get so gross that it'll die or get sick. What can I do? Is it okay to leave my fishy in its tank for two weeks un-cleaned?

#2 · (Edited)
Can you describe the tank?
Gallons/liters?
Heater?
Filter-what type?
Fully cycled tank?
Do you know your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels?
Live plants?
Lights on a timer?
Other inhabitants in tank (including 'pest' snails)?

Bettas can easily go 2 weeks without food and not get ill from lack of food. Its having a build of up ammonia (filter-less or unfinished cycle-ing tank) or nitrates (cycled tank) that cause stress and illness. A heater and constant water temp are important-frequent/erratic temp swings can cause stress and illness. If you don't have a lid consider getting one or putting cling wrap on to prevent evaporation. DO NOT get those feeder vacation blocks- they make a mess, the betta won't eat them, and it will jack your ammonia or nitrates (again depending on filter-less/unfinished cycle, or cycled and filtered).
Do a water change before you leave (make sure new water is same pH, and temp as tank water), put on a lid/cling wrap to keep water from evaporation and bringing water level too low for filter/heater. If you keep live plants and use a light get a simple light timer and set it. 6-10 hours is the usual lighting period.
i use this (from home depot) for 2 prong lights:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-24-Hour-Plug-In-Basic-Timer-15119/100685881
and this for 3 pronged:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-...echanical-Timer-with-2-Outlet-49807/203677447
pulling the tabs up= lights off time. There is also a grey switch on the 'top' that will ignore the "off" time you set-make sure that is not set to perma on lights before you go or you'll come back to hair algae galore (not fun to get rid of).
If you don't have plants the fish will be fine in the dark.

#4 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.