Betta Fish Forum banner

Equinox's/King Dedede's/my journal of... journal-y-ness!

9K views 76 replies 7 participants last post by  Little Leaf 
#1 ·
I found a light near my parent's computer. (lights for cats/dogs) I wondered what would happen if bettas saw lights, so I turned on the light, had a little difficulty with it though, I pointed it at King Dedede, what I saw:

*WORD* = action
-WORD- = thought

*King Dedede sees light and starts to follow it*

King Dedede: ooo, shiny...

*I stare at my betta*

King Dedede: NO! what if it's a trap like when that little girl pushed my tank and nearly killed me from water loss?! -I was so low on water, I nearly... uh... no idea what to think here...-

*King Dedede starts flaring*

me: I MADE A DISCOVERY!!! :lol:

*I go to my mom and take away the light*

me: mom!!

my mom: what?

me: I found out that bettas hate lights!

*random and weird celebration time*

See less See more
#4 ·
my thoughts exactly...

I do recall us just recently having to deal with explaing proper water changing techniques not that long ago, and then being told that the parents won't buy food an such...wondering how another betta got thrown in...

I don't know about you, but my two bettas have cost me about $150 so far... maybe more...

Are both Equinox and Dedede in big enough tanks with clean water and such? :)

#10 ·
LOL! sadly, that didn't help... this did:

*I go up to my mom*

me: mom?

my mom: yes?

me: can I have a a water conditioner and PROPER food?

my mom: NO.

me: PLEASE?! pleasepleasepleaseplease?!?!?

my mom: NO.

~LATER...~

*I walk up to my mom*

me: PLEASE?! pleasepleasepleaseplease?! PLLLLLLLEEEEEAAAAAAASSEE?!?!?!

#8 ·
How big are the tanks? The pics you post make it look like theyrw in food containers.

And my advice is to make sure you find out the easier ways to do it on your own. Try not to rely on your parents too much because it might make it look like you can't handle the fish on your own.

#9 ·
I can't measure gallons (UGH.) and I sometimes have to rely on my parents because I hate myself and I'm only 10

#16 ·
...Perhaps if you went to bed earlier... You did say you're 10, right? lol. I'm 17 & even I go to bed before 3:00...

But I agree with those above- you should be the one taking care of your bettas. I used to have rats, and when I didn't feed them, my parents wouldn't let me eat... no kidding. When they didn't have water, I couldn't have water untill I gave them some. When thier cage was dirty, I had to change it...well... actually I didn't care that much about taking showers when I was 8, so my parents grounded me to my room untill I changed the cage. That really helped me learn responsibility for my pets. I realized that they rely on me, they can't help themselves.

Best of luck with the new betta. :)

#17 ·
Psshhhh I'm 19, in college and may have stayed up past 3 maybe 5 times within the year and that's because of finals xD

But as for what your parents did as a punishment, id do that to my kids as well.
The situation thought is that I think LL's parents don't care for the fish. They provably prefer it as decoration over an actual pet.

#18 ·
Agreed. :) I was just saying that LL should take responsibility for them, regardless of the parents.

LL- I know you're 10, but do you get an allowance? or is there an opportunity for you to mow the lawn or do extra chores to earn money? Maybe you could hold a 'garage' sale, & sell some of your old toys/clothes. If your parent's saw you taking initiative, they might be more likely to help you.

#20 ·
yea, I got 20 something dollars right now, about to receive 12 more dollars soon,
because I am trying very hard to put my sis to sleep at night, she slept at 4:00AM ONCE!! 4:00AM and she's 4 years old, @_@ I am trying to save up for a new tank for Equinox!

#21 ·
Good for you, taking responsibility for your sister! :) && I hope you get the money soon! Actually I think 30$ is enough to buy a 10 gal w/ filter & heater, isn't it? Don't quote me on it, but I believe it's somewhere around there. Then you could just split the 10 gal, & they would both be very happy!

#23 ·
(REPLY TO A POST)

yea, but I don't have much space in my room (lol I typed tank instead of room at first) also, my mom is having money troubles and might not be able to give my money, like when my mom wasn't able to give me my 20$ for 4 months :-?

#26 ·
Please do tell me.where you're getting a 10 gallon for that price o.o
My petsmart will sell a 5 gal for that price with no filter. I think two separate 2 gallons should be good with no filter.

That way there's no worrying about cycling.
Plus 2 gallons are smaller and more maneuverable.

Its great though that you're doing the best for your parents, but keep in mind that as long as you live under their roof and are getting they're money, its going to be hard to get things 100% your way.

I had to beg my mom for months for betta #2 and she's not happy even with me having one betta. But I live semi on my own so its different.

My advice, try to get two 2 gallons, and don't get ANY mote fish. If you can't afford any more extra supplies for Equinox you might have to sell him. You could end up spending $50 just for the tanks alone. Stress coat, conditioner, salts for injuries, etc. Might cost another $50

#28 ·
sure... (another last year shoved back in my face moment, it hurtssss... someehow X_X ;-;) oh, and I need to get more fish for noruz (goldfish) and...

This is too hard to explain

#27 ·
Alcemistnv- Not for sure about the package lol. But when I set up my 10 gal, I watched the sales. I bought a 10 gal @ the $ per G sale, a heater for 7$, and a filter for just under 15$. Plus I had some coupons because I signed up with the petco pals program, & I got it all for around 25$ Normally @ petco the 10 gals are like 13.00, but I know they have the $/G this week, & I'm sure if you look around you could find some awesome sales.

#33 ·
Well ignore the divider part. Unless you have 5 gallon tank or bigger, you don't need it.

And I think PETCO is having their gallon for $ sale soon so you can get some 2 gallons then and maybe something bigger for the goldfish

#43 ·
Don't let people make you feel that way. If you're doing your best, there's nothing they can complain about. Honestly, I know a little girl who has about 10 bettas, still in thier little cups. She keeps them on a shelf because they're 'pretty'. I've talked to her parents about them, but they don't understand. At least your bettas are taken care of!

As for the goldfish, talk to your parents about them. Don't wait till later, you'll probably forget. Explain that if you had a roomful of 12 dogs, you wouldn't let them starve & die, it's not fair to do that to fish either.

#55 ·
To be honest, you probably have a better life than I ever did. When I was younger, we lived on coins.
Neither parent graduated high school and they had 2 kids. If it wasn't for fate and my dad ggetting a REALLY good job, we'd still be living in a basement.

Things do get better. But sitting on them and moping about them won't make it better at all. Trust me. For someone who has looked for ways to end it all, I can tell you everything gets better. I mean, you're only 10. If you think your life is over now, just wait til you get older.
You're most likely going to need to mature faster than you want, but that's society.
Give it a few years and you'll be in high school thinking about college. And once you're in college, you need to think about a career and moving out.

The problems you have now are minimal, so don't dwell on them and enjoy your life. You're young once.
ts the truth.

#59 ·
I wonder what happened to project Aquatic Attention?

Oh well.

-I don't want a 10 gallon tank with filter and heater (AND maybe a divider) on my b-day, I want it now, I DONT WANT MY BETTAS TO SUFFER ANY LONGER.-

#60 ·
I. Can't. Take. Anymore. Insults!!!! It's enough!! I'm trying my best to take care of my bettas, ok?! I know!! I've had enough!! Just stop!!

>.<
' '

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.