Betta Fish Forum banner

Brand new Betta, trouble feeding. Help?

1K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  JBosley 
#1 ·
So I got a new betta yesterday afternoon, this is my first one ever, and I'm having difficulty feeding him. I read that it's good to leave them to adjust to the tank for the afternoon/overnight, but to feed them the next day. I tried this morning but he wouldn't come up to the surface to feed. Headed to classes and now that I'm home again I've tried again. Every time I take the cover off to feed him, he swims down to the bottom of the tank. What is the best way to feed him and get him used to feeding times? Sorry if this should be simplistic, I'm new and concerned as I don't want him to starve. Don't know when he was fed last (though I would assume it would have been yesterday morning when the store recieved the fish).

Suggestions and help are more than welcome and indeed desired. Want to make my betta happy.

Oh a side note, he tends to stay in one corner of the tank mostly. I realize it's a whole new environment for him and will take time for him to get used to it. For those of you who have gotten new betta's, how long did it take for yours to become comfortable in their tanks?

Thanks for any help all ^_^

#2 ·
Don't worry about it - it's common for them not to eat for a few days while they're settling in. Just make sure he's nice & warm (76-80F) and keep offering pellets (but don't leave the uneaten food in there). I had one hold out for 8 days before eating (and he's still a diva - will only eat micropellets!)

#3 · (Edited)
Just give him time to get used to his new environment ( & you ) :)

Also, be persistent and attempt to feed him twice a day. If he's not eating the pellet after a few minutes, scoop it out.

Some people had trouble with their betta's not eating even after a week or so - but persistence is the key.

Personally, I never had a problem with my betta's not eating the pellets on first attempt... but I guess I'm just lucky. :)

( I feed them NLS thera-a pellets... so the strong garlic smell probably enticed them to eat. )

#4 ·
Is there a reason to get the food out of the tank? A couple of the pellets sank to the bottom so I will have to go in with the vacuum to get them. Is it dire to get them? I'd rather not disturb him so early and have to take him out of the tank to get the pellets that sank.

#7 ·
I'm growing a bit more concerned. I'm really not sure of the activities of Betta Fish so I'm at a loss as to what to look for in activity. There are times when I see him swimming about, but a lot of the time he's either hidding/resting under a log that I have for him in the tank, or in one of the corners. Sometimes though he rests right at the waters surface. I just spotted him resting up near the waters surface so I tried to feed him. Dropped a couple pellets infront of him. He didn't move. I tried bobbing them with my finger a little, he usually just swims off and back down, however he just stayed there. It wasn't till I tried again that he swam away again. I'm a bit concerned, but that's why I'm messaging. I'm wondering if his behavior is normal. He's not overly active and generally rests on the bottom of the tank. Heat is fine, sitting between 78-80 at all times. Can anyone help shed some light?

#8 ·
Maybe try another type of food? I had one fish who would only eat flakes. They are not ideal but at least he was eating.
Have you tested the water quality? Something could be a little high resulting in this behavior.
Another suggestion is moving him to smaller tank for a little while see if her perks up. He might still be a little freaked out if the tank is huge. Some fish like smaller areas were others like larger.
Hopefully someone else will be able to help more.

#9 ·
Well, to answer your question about normal Betta behavior, a happy healthy betta is pretty much in continuous swimming motion as long as there's light. So I would say that what you describe in yours does not sound ideal. Maybe he's still freaked and settling in, but even the one I had that didn't eat for his first 8 days was extremely active the whole time - you'd never know anything was wrong.
Have you tried different foods? Different size pellets (some only like the very tiny ones like New Life Spectrum, some won't eat pellets at all and prefer flakes). You can also try freeze dried brine shrimp or bloodworms to get him eating and then transition to pellets.
Are his fins clamped (held close to the body)? That can be a sign of illness. Normally Bettas swim with their fins about half way extended and they flare, or open them maximally, when they see another male betta.
I would hesitate to treat him for anything unless you had a better idea of what you were treating, but if you think he's sick, the "salt cure" is pretty safe. 1 tsp aquarium (non-iodized) salt per gallon of water, used for no more than 10 days.
Other than that, I'm out of ideas. Maybe the experts on this forum can help!

#10 ·
Well now that answer has me all sorts of concerned. When he swims his fins are usually pinned down, and he really isn't being active. All evening tonight he's really just been sitting underneath his log. In fact ever since I got him he hasn't really been that active. I will try to pick up a smaller tank tomorrow, perhaps it's the size of the aquarium. At this point I'm really concerned.

#11 ·
Decided to take some action tonight. So I tested the water for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. Both Nitrate and Nitrite were fine, Ammonia is at 0.25ppm. I went out and bough flakes and tried to feed them to him, also tried bloodworms. He still won't eat. And he's still being really inactive. Here are some pictures of him at the top of the water. He went from being up and down to on his side in the third picture. He wouldn't respond to water taps, until I got close to him, he swam back down and is currently under his log. I am at a loss right now.

#13 ·
If you haven't already I would post in the sickness thread. The way he is on his side doesn't look good to me. But I am not an expert on disease. Does he have trouble getting to the top? If he does you might want to lower the water a little bit for the time being. I really hope he is okay!

#14 ·
I seem to be having the same issue but mines a female but she doesnt have swimming issues like your 3rd pic, she just hides at the bottom. :/

#17 ·
Figured I would post in here as I posted in the illness section. Sadly he passed away. The illness section couldn't really help me either and it's hard to say what caused it. We think it may have been heart problems. He passed away on Saturday. :cry:

Today though I brought home a new little guy in a different tank, and already I can tell this guy is healthy and enjoying his new home. He's quite active, checking out his tank and surroundings, he comes to the front everytime I come around to look at him and loves to swim behind some of the items in his tank. I'll be making a new thread about him with pictures later.

Thank you all for your help with my previous guy, I'll be taking your advice and using it with this guy. Naming him Condris :3

#19 ·
Sorry for your loss with your last betta. I am happy to hear that your new betta seems to be behaving normally.

If you have eating problems with the new betta, just give him a week and see if he eats what is offered. Generally, it takes about a week before they decide "Okay. She's not giving in, I'd better eat." Out of curiosity, what pellets or flakes have you tried?

#18 ·
Bettas are generally very hardy, but it's possible your boy was already ill when you got him and he simply declined after your got him home. Some fish can actually pass from the shock of changing environments. I don't recall hearing of a betta doing so (again, very hardy and strong willed little brats), but if he was already ill and/or stressed, it may have been too much for him. I'm sorry your lost him, especially as he was your first, but it sounds like the second boy is much better. Good luck with him!

#20 ·
Actually, my new boy ate the first time I tried feeding him that first night! Ate the three pellets I gave him with no problems! I have 3 different foods though as I tried all three on the last boy. Pellets, flakes, and bloodworms. If he keeps eating the pellets just fine, then the bloodworms will be a treat and the flakes will be kept incase he decides he no longer wants to eat the pellets. We will see if he eats tonight though. If he does then I'm impressed :3

#22 ·
Ugh, this sounds exactly like my Veil Tail boy Firefly :-( I got him about 6 days ago, and he still hasn't eaten! All he does is hide, and float around, he doesn't even really swim *sigh* I have THE worst luck with Bettas. I have decided if he passes that I am going to an actual fish store to get one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.