Betta Fish Forum banner

When to move the fry to a grow out tank

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  tpocicat 
#1 ·
Hey Guy's,

My fry are just turning 4 weeks old, when do I move them over to the 20 gal. grow out tank.

#8 ·
To avoid starting another topic, I too have a somewhat similar question.

My fry are about a month and a half old and they are already in a 10 gallon tank what they were born in. My question is when can I fill the water to the top. Now it is only the 6 inches I started with and I have already added three gallons of water through out the month. They honestly may be older than a month and a half. I was not keeping track of the time length. There are only about 16 fry in the tank and they are still pretty small so I'm going to say close to a month than two.

So, when will I be able to fill the water and even add a sponge filter?

They are already eating freeze dried blood worms.

#10 ·
To avoid starting another topic, I too have a somewhat similar question.

My fry are about a month and a half old and they are already in a 10 gallon tank what they were born in. My question is when can I fill the water to the top. Now it is only the 6 inches I started with and I have already added three gallons of water through out the month. They honestly may be older than a month and a half. I was not keeping track of the time length. There are only about 16 fry in the tank and they are still pretty small so I'm going to say close to a month than two.

So, when will I be able to fill the water and even add a sponge filter?

They are already eating freeze dried blood worms.
I would have added water soon after the father was removed. Maybe a quart a day until it is filled, more if you are removing any water because of stuff on the bottom. The cleaner the water, the healthier your fry will be. I also wouldn't feed them freeze dried anything. If you can't get live foods, try frozen, they have better nutrition for your fry to grow on.​

#9 ·
This is the age I move mine unless a huge spawn and they have to move sooner. Recent steels were moved to a 30 gal at 1 week. Could not keep ammonia under control for that many fish in a spawn tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.