Betta Fish Forum banner

drama in the sorority

1K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  gahcrazy 
#1 ·
I swear these fish are going to drive me INSANE. :shock:

A while ago I had a problem with Ami's fins being torn up, I decided it was from the plants & had her out of the tank for probably a month. I also had to take Zetta out of the tank because she was missing scales on her stomach, not sure why, but they are growing back.
Thursday night I reintroduced Ami. All of my girls are peaceful except for Drina & sometimes Ami. Drina can tend to be a little nippy & sometimes Ami flares her fins. They are obviously the two top girls.
Drina was being a major you-know-what so I had to take her out; Ami, Delta & Vegas were all doing great!

Tonight I look in my tank & Delta's fins are shredded & she isn't swimming. :cry: They were a little torn earlier, along with Ami's but I hadn't seen any fighting or chasing. Delta is now in a hospital tank, Ami is floating in a cup, & nice little Vegas gets the whole tank to herself!

All of the plants (minus 2 small silk ones & 1 real one) are plastic. I didn't think that I'd have problems with them because they are all really soft & I don't see how a plant could do this kind of damage to Delta's fins. But I have a couple of the same plants in two of my males' tanks (neither of their fins have EVER been torn).

Is this fighting that I am just not seeing or is this my plants?

See less See more
#5 ·
Okay! I'm on my way to Petco right now!
Are female betta's fins more delicate than the males? Because none of my males who have the same plants as the girls, have torn fins. Even when there is only 1 girl in the whole sorority for whatever reason, she manages to tear her fins..

#6 ·
Sororities are great, (and here is that word) but. Some females just don't seem to belong in a sorority. I have tried reintroducing 4 of mine many times but the fighting only has goten worse. I've had my sorority for like 8 months. When looking into sororities i came accross somone that warned me about that. Now i have a five girl sorority and 4 females that have thier own 3/4 to 1 gal bowls. alot more work for me but i did know the chance of that happening. So far as the girl tearing her fins when she is alone. Yep!! I have seen my girls get into some very strange positions! I mean really really strange!! LOL sort of like what was she thinking? thankfully they manage to get themselfs out, (knock on wood) but some day i guess that one might not be so lucky. I don't want to sound negitive, but keep an close watch on them. Female bettas are fun and loveable, but when put togeather they can become lil monsters. lol no i really mean that. p.s. the more SILK plants the better, but if the female(s) agressive theres not a lot you can do but remove her(s) .

#7 ·
Sororities are great, (and here is that word) but. Some females just don't seem to belong in a sorority. I have tried reintroducing 4 of mine many times but the fighting only has goten worse. I've had my sorority for like 8 months. When looking into sororities i came accross somone that warned me about that. Now i have a five girl sorority and 4 females that have thier own 3/4 to 1 gal bowls. alot more work for me but i did know the chance of that happening. So far as the girl tearing her fins when she is alone. Yep!! I have seen my girls get into some very strange positions! I mean really really strange!! LOL sort of like what was she thinking? thankfully they manage to get themselfs out, (knock on wood) but some day i guess that one might not be so lucky. I don't want to sound negitive, but keep an close watch on them. Female bettas are fun and loveable, but when put togeather they can become lil monsters. lol no i really mean that. p.s. the more SILK plants the better, but if the female(s) agressive theres not a lot you can do but remove her(s) .
Yeah, very true. I knew the risk I was taking when I set up this sorority. Right now all of my females are scattered. (Drina may or may not be a male....not sure how that happened. Delta is recovering from getting into it with someone. Ami is in her own little tank. And Zeta has the whole 10g to herself =) )

#10 ·
Glad I'm not alone! Petco sold her as a female & i have had her for a while but some things she does just don't quite seem right...

Anyway, I have/had 5 in the sorority. 3 of which are very peaceful, it is just Ami & Drina (possible male) that can be trouble makers.

#16 · (Edited)
That's why your females are attacking each other. :S Standard rule for a sorority IS 4-7 females but you have to follow the 1-gallon per 1-inch of fish rule, the smallest size a sorority can be is 20g. x_X If you just upgrade the tank size you won't have anymore issues.

#18 ·
That's odd, I've never heard of a harmonious 10g sorority, especially with 4 girls in it. Sometimes there's that 1-off girl that likes to harass all the others but otherwise... Well I'm out of ideas then. I know everyone that has a 20g sorority has no problems with it.

#19 ·
So far I do.

I got 4 girls from the same shop from the same tank at the same time and they've been fine (I think they are siblings). I got another girl; she seemed quite laid back and her fins were torn to shreds. I introduced her to my sorority and it's been fine. Two of my girls were a bit stressed when there was 4 girls; now there is a 5th one the stress lines have definately gone. Since the 5th girl I haven't seen ANY fin nipping at all. Before the 5th girl I had a tiny tiny tiny bit nipping but nothing bigger than a milimeter or two.

If worst comes to worst I have spare tanks if anything did start to go wrong.

#25 ·
Need to see the fishies belly, i think

So Doggyhog, if you can tell by these pictures rather or not it's female, then you are really gifted! lol Anyhow, I had my girls in twenty gals b4 and they got along (2 some degree) preaty well. Then one day (as they got older ( and more agressive) i began making changes. Instead of having 9 girls in 20 gal of water i now have 5 girls (my most agressive 5) in 10 gals. So ten gals dose work. I just watch them like a hawk. (and of course they watch me like a hawk) lol... good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.