Betta Fish Forum banner

Digital Thermometer? =/

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  wallywestisthebest333 
#1 ·
So I just broke my THIRD glass thermometer in TWO WEEKS... IN MY SHOWER!!!!! There was glass and lead balls EVERYWHERE!!!!!

So I had to go buy a new one today. Well I decided to head down to petsmart and look at digital ones. I found the Top Fin one (only one they had) and decided to buy it because it cost the same as my combined glass purchases would have if I'd bought another so I figured "Why not?"

Well I was SUPER excited about it the fist 15 minutes I had it in my tank and now it's bugging the everliving daylights out of me! >=/

My Marineland Visitherm Stealth heater is set on 80* yet it reads 78.3* which I KNOW is bull. =/

do you think petsmart would take it back now that I've used it? =/ Or did I mess it up somehow? I seem to have bad luck with thermometers. =/

anybody used this or have an opinion on it?

#2 ·
Well, I have to set my heaters lower than what it says on the dial because my tanks fit in the smallest size of my heater's range. So if I set my heaters for 80 degrees my thermometer reads 85, for example.
I have mine set up for about 77 and I get an 80-82 reading, even at night.
Petco will take the merch back, no questions asked. I've done it even with an used tank.

#5 ·
I have bad luck with thermys too. Just broke a Top Fin glass one ALSO in my shower...lead balls went everywhere and I was like "Oh no! MERCURY IS GONNA POLUTE THE WATER!" and my dad's like "Nope, that's lead lol" But yah vilmarisv is right...sometimes things liek that happens depending on the temp of the room.

#9 ·
"Oh no! MERCURY IS GONNA POLUTE THE WATER!" and my dad's like "Nope, that's lead"
Lmao, thats awesome.

My outside-tank digital thero works accurately. I'm a cook at my job so I always have a temp-stick on me (Wierd... huh? Welll you're wierder!) Tested it against my temp-stick and it gauged accurately.

Also, another way to test your thermo is to get a cup, fill it tot he brim with ice, and add cool water. Let the cup sit for about 5 minutes or so and place your thermo inside it, it SHOULD gauge 32, with a degree lee-way.

Vice versa, you could do it on the opposite spectrum and heat a boiling pot of water, but what would be dangerous <.<

#7 ·
I bet the thermometer is more accurate than the dial on the heater. My heaters don't heat to what I set them at (4 heaters and they all are different). I'd say digital thermometers are probably pretty accurate since they are used to gauge temps on cooking meat.... if they weren't that accurate we'd be dying of salmonella, e. coli. etc.!! I'd say keep it and play with the thermometer dial and see what setting gets an 80* reading.

Also, where is the actual gauge part of the therm.? Top, bottom of the tank?

#8 ·
I have 2 Marineland, not sure of the model or the watts, they are under water LOL!
BUT I have to set mine at 75 degrees to get a reading of 80 on both glass and stick on thermometers. The integrated thermometer in the heater reads 75 degrees. So, if it wasn't for my 2 thermometer readings I would be freaking out.
Remember the water should fell cold to the touch since we run hotter than 80 degrees.

#17 ·
I decided to keep it guys! =] Thanks for you input! =]

LOL! XD The reason my thermometer was in the shower is because that's where I do 100%changes. Since Genie's sick I'm in there cleaning his tank a lot. The bathroom is only a door away from my room where his tank is so it's convenient. =P Unfortunately I'd leave the thermometer in the tank while I scrubbed and it would break because my hand would normally slip. =/

Can't do that with my digital now! =] It's klutz proof. XD

#19 ·
You should check out the TopFin Digital Thermometer then! =] It's impossible to break (unless you step on the display) and it works really well! =] It's basically a little cord with a small sensor on the end of it. The other end runs to the digital display that tells you the temp. =]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.