Betta Fish Forum banner

Do I need a grow out tank???

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  MrVampire181 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
So three weeks ago I had my first spawn, the fry are now 3 weeks old and seem to be doing well on bbs. I read somewhere that around 4 weeks some people put the fry in a large grow out tank for a while. Is this necessary/encouraged? I only have 10 babies and they are currently in a 10 gallon tank, should I put them in something larger next week or are they fine there? Also my biggest baby is like 4 times the size of the smallest one, is that normal? I think I saw somewhere that that may be related to growth slowing hormones and that I should do frequent water changes, I started changing 1/3 -1/2 of the water everyday, should I be changing more? are there any other tips for this? All your help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading

#2 ·
you are doing fine. With the growout tanks, fry release growth stopping hormones so a bigger tank means less concentrations of these hormones which is why they grow faster, but if you are performing water changes everyday then id say you are doing fine.and the size difference is normal.

#4 ·
IMO YES. Growouts give them SPACE to grow which is important. I was doing 90% water changes on a spawn of 20 in a 16 gallon tub on a daily basis and I never got them to adult size but I have a spawn of 15 in a 29 gallon with a 1/3 water change once a week and a lot of food and they're gettin to adult size at just over 4 months.

#6 ·
No prob. Growouts are very important for growing fish...a lot of people look them over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.