Betta Fish Forum banner

My Planted Fluval Spec V

7K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Otterfun 
#1 ·
Don't you love awesome camera phone pictures?

I finally got the planting done in my Spec V last night. I'd been putting it off until I had a couple of hours to spare.

Equipment:
Fluval Spec V
Stock (modified) filter
Stock lighting
Hydor 50W submersible heater (in pump chamber)

Flora:
Purple Cabomba
Marsilea Minutia
Hydrocotyle Japan
Flame, fissidens, and peacock moss
"Dwarf" sag
hygrophila bold
1 weepy little crypt
ludiwigia repens x l acurta
rotala green
Anubias petite
rotala r.

Fauna:
None, unless you count the snail eggs I missed.

I'll take a couple of pictures with a real camera later - I should hopefully be picking up some RCS and PFRs today. After they're established and the mosses have grown out some, I'll be adding a Betta.

"Front" Side:

"Back" Side:

See less See more
#3 ·
That looks great!! I can't wait to change my tanks from gravel to soil and sand.

#5 ·
I would probably use Eco complete if the price wasn't so high. Or atleast high to me, an unemployed tech-school student

#10 ·
looks good. where did you buy all your plants from?

#12 ·
I got them from a couple of guys on the PlantedTank forums.

I've added a big handful of riccia now as well, that came in with my cherry shrimp yesterday. I'll post some pictures of the shrimp as soon as I can find my real camera!

#14 ·
It's wood from Lake Michigan. I bought the really "rooty" piece on Etsy (the picture does NOT do it justice) and the seller threw in a couple more for free.

I took some up-close pictures of my shrimp last night with a crummy point and shoot camera that really show the worm trails on the rooty wood. I'll try and post one later.

#15 ·
Here are some additional pictures, including my shrimp and driftwood. Still letting things grow in before adding a betta.

The "rooty" piece of driftwood, crawling with shrimp (you can see some of the super glue used to attach the moss to the wood):

Sniffing around some roots:

Swarming a banana:

#18 ·
The banana does ok for several hours. That particular piece stayed in the tank for almost 12 hours (ie WAY too long), and the water got very cloudy. It cleared up within about 20 minutes of removing the leftovers though.

The moss is superglued to the driftwood. Cyanoacrylate super glue (normal dollar store glue) is completely safe for the aquarium once dried.

#19 ·
Tekkguy, How do you keep the baby shrimp from going into the filter area? There is a small inlet hole near the bottom and one half way up, then the wide grated area at top which extends below the water surface. I thought about cutting small pieces of soft sponge to fill the two small holes. My Spec 2 Gal has this as well. (I also have a Spec V) I do like these Fluvals!!

#20 ·
I have my substrate sloped up high on the filter end. The substrate is about half an inch below the intake hole. I wedged a small piece of clear plastic between the substrate and the wall. Suction and the pressure of the substrate holds it in place. Since the plastic is clear, it's nearly invisible.

The intake at the bottom is only there so the pump doesn't run dry if the water level drops low. I don't let mine drop low. I haven't bothered covering the top intake, though some sponge and fishing line could do it. I figure if they are small enough to get in there at the top, that's where all the good eating is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.