Betta Fish Forum banner

Filter Plants

11K views 101 replies 18 participants last post by  lillyandquigly 
#1 ·
How many of you use semi-aquatic plants in your aquariums I use lucky bamboo growing out of the spot between lid and filter in both tanks in my twenty gallon filter is two pothos one peace lily two lucky bamboos and in my ten I use two peace lilies and one lucky bamboo I chose plants that NASA said really clean air.

#83 ·
Sarina has pothos growing in her tamk too. Pothos and mangroves are used for big nitrate problems. Check out Bens aquariums on youtube it xhows how nutrients are cut down.

#84 ·
So if I wanted to put plants in my filter how would I do so? I know there has got to be a really obvious answer to this but I am just trying to imagine it.

Would I need a certain type of filter?
Do I have to take the filter media out?
Do I need some kind of substrate inside? or any modifications to the filter?

I am genuinely curious.

#85 ·
As long the right species is selected. The plant can be added. Although some cartridges are weak and some tanks encourage the plant to root and break the cartridge. So remeber to cut the roots.

#86 ·
How do I put it in though? With or without the cartridge?

#87 ·
#92 ·
I have some lucky bamboo that was given to me before it was going to be thrown away at work. It's just in water and is doing great. I was thinking of planting it in the gravel of a 30 gallon tank. It's tall enough that the leaves will be out of the water and I think that the stalks will be a nice looking feature in the tank.

#95 ·
One method is that if you use a HOB filter, you can remove the filter lid and grow the plant directly out of the area that contains the filter media. Some people also choose to baffle the filter with some aquarium sponge and then attach moss to this, as the constant water flow from the filter keeps the whole area moist.

There are lots of aquarium plants and bog plants that can be used successfully in this manner. I think I saw someone growing some kind of orchid out of the top of his filter along with a pothos that had been trained along his light stand.

#100 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.