• Amazon Frogbit
  • Duckweed (can't get rid of it)
  • Anubias Nana
  • Anubias Nana Petite
  • Temple Plant

Fauna

• Reginald the Double Tail Betta [Betta Splendens]
  • Dale the Ramshorn Snail [Planorbis rubrum]

Here is my lightly planted Fluval Spec housing my new double tail, Reginald. My maintenance is fairly light dosing a few drops of Excel everyday and ~50% water changes every week. Enjoy!

See less See more
#5 ·
Hi Basil and Tekk,
I have the Spec V and 2 Gallon, as I have them side by side on a windowsill facing southern exposure (filters on furthest ends) Both fully planted in gravel and using Seachum ferts.
I see you have the light upgrade.. looks really nice!!! I am not too satisfied with stock lights, tho I get plenty of sunlight.
Last night I got a used full sized CO2 set-up. Gauges, solenoid, reactor diffuser, bubble counter, timer, paintball tank adapter, tho considering a full size tank. I want to get a diffuser, a two-way and extra bubble counter so I can do both tanks. So far just a Betta in the two gal and a couple small Nerites in both.

#6 ·
Sounds like you've got it all worked out! As far as sunlight is concerned I would be sure to watch for algae. Too much sun can promote its growth. I really like having the Fluval 13 watt PC lamp. It's the perfect size and puts out the amount of light my Spec needs.

#7 ·
Nice looking Spec 2! I recently setup my Spec 3. I'm also using the 13w Fluval CF light. What's the name of that floating plant? Keep up the good work!

Attachments

#8 ·
Awesome tanks guys. I actually have a betta in a fluval spec iii as well. I think he likes it but I wanted to ask how you guys overcame a few obstacles;

1. Wasn't your pump too strong? My betta started practically flying away when I turned it on. What did you do to fix that?

2. Have you noticed him really only sticking in one area of the tank or does he roam all over? My little guy stays up at the top left front of the tank (diagonal to the spout)

3. My little betta also started flaring his fins and stuff around, making me think he can see himself somewhere in the tank. Have you noticed similar behavior?

#9 ·
Awesome tanks guys. I actually have a betta in a fluval spec iii as well. I think he likes it but I wanted to ask how you guys overcame a few obstacles;

1. Wasn't your pump too strong? My betta started practically flying away when I turned it on. What did you do to fix that?

2. Have you noticed him really only sticking in one area of the tank or does he roam all over? My little guy stays up at the top left front of the tank (diagonal to the spout)

3. My little betta also started flaring his fins and stuff around, making me think he can see himself somewhere in the tank. Have you noticed similar behavior?

1. Yes the pump is too strong. You have to turn it down to the lowest setting. It'll still be too strong so you also have to cut a little piece of filter floss and stick it into the output to block some of the flow.

2. Once you do the mod ^above he'll swim all over the tank.

3. I've notice that as well. He always is flaring at himself, but it usually is only when the light is turned on. If you look at the pic I posted above you can see him flaring. lol. He stops after awhile tho. It's good exercise.

#24 ·
Quick update: Winter has been hard on this little tank so in the not so distant future I will transferring over everything to my newest tank, a biocube 8. The biocube is currently empty with a craftmesh divider and will house two male bettas. I have already started a new thread here.

#25 ·
How is winter "hard" on a tank? Too cold in your room? I'd recommend a heater upgrade... the Marina C10 you had works reasonable well in stable temps, but if temps are fluctuating a lot, you'll want something beefier. I upgraded mine to a Cobalt Neo-Therm 25w adjustable, and have been very happy with it. Fits in the same pump compartment. (barely, but it fits)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.