Betta Fish Forum banner

Your betta naming stories!

3K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  NoahG 
#1 ·
How did you come to a decision on what to call your betta fish? Do you use a systematic method? Is it random? Are they named after people?

I usually name mine after something I see the first day I get them. Aldo was actually named because the day I picked him up from the mall I passed by a shoe store with the same name.

#2 ·
I'm horrible at coming up with names, especially since I like to name my pets things that are a little more unusual. A while back, as sort of a way to help me limit my fish buying since I worked at an LFS and got to see the new shipments of bettas every week....I came up with a rule that 1. Helped me limit the fish I brought home and 2. Helped me name them. For the latter reason, I've sort of kept with it xD

All of my fish are named after characters from Cartoons, shows, comics, anime/manga, or books...and I have to be able to come up with at least one name for a fish before I bring it home. xD
Rhys and Axis are characters from one of my favorite Webcomics....
Alois and Ciel are characters from the Anime/Manga Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler
And Break is named after one of my favorite characters from the Anime/Manga Pandora Hearts.

So, yeah xDD Thats how I name my fish.

#4 · (Edited)
Lol xD Oh, it was horrible. Every week we got in new shipments and I always got the first look at them. I was definitely bringing home fish left and right. I had my 20 long, my 10, and my 5 divided, plus about 4-5 2-ish gallon tanks.....ahh, how I miss all of my boys and tanks...and that job too xD I LOVE all the care that goes into keeping, and where I worked was a HUGE fish room with about 200+ tanks ranging from 20-like 200 gallons. I got to care for, look at, and learn about all kinds of different fish.....it was such a blast. We made a rather sudden 2000+ mile move though for my dads job, so I had to leave that job, tare down my big tanks, and find homes for most of my fish. :/

Now the only thing stopping me is that we're not really supposed to have animals in our rent house. ^^; 5 is definitely my current max...and the last one I actually smuggled into the house xD
Hopefully the family will find a place soon though....or I'll move out on my own once I can snag a job around here xD Once one or the other happens, I'm totally dragging out my big 50 bow again and doing something with it; probably a huge Sorority.

#5 ·
Lol xD Oh, it was horrible. Every week we got in new shipments and I always got the first look at them. I was definitely bringing home fish left and right. I had my 20 long, my 10, and my 5 divided, plus about 4-5 2-ish gallon tanks.....ahh, how I miss all of my boys and tanks...and that job too xD I LOVE all the care that goes into keeping. I know, I know, I'm crazy....

Now the only thing stopping me is that we're not really supposed to have animals in our rent house. ^^; 5 is definitely my current max...and the last one I actually smuggled into the house xD
Hopefully the family will find a place soon though....or I'll move out on my own once I can snag a job around here xD Once one or the other happens, I'm totally dragging out my big 50 bow again and doing something with it; probably a huge Sorority.
LOL oh my god. That would be me right there! Too many pretty fish! But seriously though, does the apartment restrict fish too though? I thought those kind of rules only applied to animals that roamed on land and not in the water haha!! Although thinking about it if I had a 20g tank, I'd probably buy one fancy goldfish to put in it. I'm too afraid if I divide a tank and one gets sick all of them will suffer after you know what I mean?

#6 ·
I LOVE Christmas.. So I usually try to find something Christmas about my fish.. Like Garland, since he's red and green, Douglas, like a douglas fir Christmas tree since he's red and green with a black body, and Poinsettia, my most recent, because I had just bought a purple poinsettia flower and she has purple fins.

As for my other 3.. I usually like to name them first names. Skyden was something I made up since he's white and blue like the clouds in the sky, Heather.. Well, just because I like the name Heather, and Brent after a character in Gone With The Wind.

So first names and Christmas.. xD

#7 ·
We're actually renting a house xD But, the Land Lords said no pets at all....and sometimes with fish, especially bigger tanks, from the perspective of a Land Lord, there could be water damages if something leaks or spills....you know. We just....didn't mention the fish(I did move three of my boys with me...one passed a couple of weeks ago sadly, but he got something bacterial)and the lizard in case they did say no.
So, I'm just extra careful with water changes and such xD LOTS of towels.

I actually had an ich outbreak in my 20 long, which I'd divided for 5 boys. It wasn't all that bad though. I treated the tank and everything was fine.
The trick is just to watch everyone I think. If you see someone not acting normal, QT immediately and keep an eye on everyone a little closer, then treat accordingly. Also QTing for a week or two before adding someone new is helpful, just to be safe. But really you'll want to just make sure your dividers are secure more then anything....I find doubling up on the mesh helps, if you're like me and don't want to break out the silicone ;P
....I'll his hush now xD I'm rambling.

Awwwww <3 I LOVE the name Poinsettia btw! Poinsettias are one of my favorite things about the holidays xD

#8 ·
i name mine after characters in whatever i'm into at the moment.
Lulu was after one of the characters in Final Fantasy X
Ichi was actually named after a friend of mine in Japan...
Spy, Heavy, Scout, Sniper, and Medic are the characters in Team Fortress 2... that's my theme now. xD

#9 ·
My first was "sushi"...konda self explanatory, lol. Most were named based on looks, i.e. a marble names "fetti" because she looked like she was sprinkled in confetti. "Lavender" was my purple girl. My mom named "abigail" and "eleanore". The two I currently have are "Abba", named during my niece's Mamma mia stage, and my new boy "Monroe". I named him after my favorite character on the show Grimm.

#10 ·
I've kept an unusual sounding theme or asian theme since nothing else I found would fit the betta's I got or after characters from anime and manga.

Akira - Named after Akira Touya from Hikaru No Go

Kai - Ocean.

Lelouch - Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion..Really funny story with that one.

I was looking at him and when my mom inquired about him a Petsmart employee grabbed him and shook the cup pissing me and Lelouch off. Lulu had a bubble nest in his cup and was hiding under it like it was a fort and he was flaring like crazy all angered and you could tell he wanted me to get him out of there.

I named him Lelouch after the character and it branched to being Lelouch of the Petsmart Rebellion. (His pic on dA says Code Betta on the title.) And he's got the nickname of Lulu or Lulu-boy.

#11 ·
You could probably tell by my username, but I adore Crayola Crayons. I'll name my first betta by the color of it. The color won't be in English, though, it'll be in another language. It'll be in German most likely because I'm learning German in school. I'm not that good with naming things, but I normally try to find an inspiration for them.

#14 ·
Whatever comes to mind, really.

Mainly colours, like my green MG CT Dill being, well, the colour of a dill pickle.

Or Tigger, who is an orange/black BFHM marble - he had black stripes on his orange body when I first had him but now he's turned a matte dark orange.

Skipper is also a butterfly HM, but he's a red cambodian. Skippers are a type of butterfly, so it fits him sorta.

Bello because he's beautiful, and he knows he's beautiful.

Oatmeal . . . . erm . . . . I have no explanation for his name. Except that I was eating oatmeal cookies at the time. He goes by Oatie, though.

Tiny Tim . . . is tiny. Like, speck sized. Miniscule. Itty bitty. He's got some growing to do!

Hyacinth . . . . Because he reminds me of a big poofy pink flower, lol :p

Angel . . . . because he's the first nearly white CT I've had, and he's so graceful looking. :)

Pandora . . . . She was an ugly, sick little lady when I first brought her home, and now she's a beautiful copper dragon gal.

Oh and I once had an unnamed female betta, and I'd just gotten her. The top of the keeper I was keeping her in had been open and I was eating a big bowl of hot mac'n'cheese. I heard a splash and before I knew it she was flopping around in my bowl. Thankfully she wasn't hurt ... but from that day on her name was Mac :D

#15 ·
Ghost: he's transparent, difficult to find most of the time, and only eats living things.

Duke: red, blue and transparent, like he's wearing a royal robe or something. Also, he doesn't do much to impress the girls, and he builds massive bubble nests.

Lucky: found him at a petstore in a wine glass, and he had severe swim bladder disorder. He's fine now, and he likes to show off to the girls, almost like he wants to live up to his name and "get lucky" !

Panchali: after princess Panchali from the Big Bang Theory!

Cersei: from Game of Thrones. Cersei was the dominant female when I first got the girls, but now Panchali has de-throned her and calls the shots.

Latest addition - Lazarus: found him in conditions that should have killed any betta. Freezing water, rotting food and fish crap about a half inch deep, and locked in an office with no windows or light. I'm hoping he'll come back from the dead (or near dead, in this case), so I thought naming after someone who did come back from the dead might remind him that he's not alone!

I might get another girl for the sorority, but I still need to convince my hubby!

#16 ·

Dionysus... The greek god of wine. :) Dionysus was known to be sort of...well, you couldn't tell if he was a he or a she all the time. Made me laugh since so many people think long finned bettas are girls, and even worse--he was a plakat, so even the people who knew that long finned bettas were boys..thought he was a girl. LOL!

Next, the idea of wine and the dualities of drunkenness as represented by this mythological figure--The party, and the rage. Bettas are fun, cheerful little fish who are incredibly violent towards one another! I felt a betta represents that duality very well!

Then of course, he was the color of wine! A deep red that in the light was more of a purple. Looks much like the red wine Dionysus is depicted as drinking.

So that's how he was named. :)

My boyfriend named red beard because he had the surly personality of a pirate! And he was red. So. LOL!

I miss them both dearly!

#17 ·
hahaha great names everyone!
I love naming my pets after movies/tv shows, but sometimes it goes along with what colours they are. Or even completely random names.. Get ready for spam -_- LOL
Sheldon - Big Bang Theory
Belle - Beauty and the beast
Peekaboo - She hid all the time and I could never find her haha
Marbles - she's a marble. Lol
Ginger - red girlie
Rainbow - Rainbow girlie
Odin - Norse god (moms fish)
Marine - looked like he gave himself a buzzcut when i got him
Skyline - My favourite car :p and he's fast.
GoldenEye - has a golden eye...haha
Antonio - Name of the cute guy at our LPS who was super nice and kept talking to me :D

I still have one betta thats unnamed..Pretty little cellophane/white Delta/SD. Any name ideas would be great! If it helps, his eyes are super light purple O.O

#19 ·
-takes a deep breath-

Mister: I was uncreative. and I always said "ouch! heyyy Mister, don't bite me!"
Finicky: little bumb made me get 3 different foods to find something he'd eat :|
Dusk: He looked like Dusk. Dark blue and red :)
Admiral: a true trooper :)
Madame: I was uncreative... And she was NOT a lady for sure -.-; meaner.
Maine: Lord, Maine ;-) idk. felt like calling him that o.o
Spartan: the toughest betta I have EVER met! He's survived a mystery poisoning, never lost his cool when Lord Magician Maine poofed to the other side (3 inches of divider ABOVE water o_o), he's roughed through a tumor AND what finally slayed my Sparta boy is some sort of flesh eating problem ;(
Shiloh: I saw him in the store. So sad looking... beaten up, torn up, lost scales... I went home, somehow he popped in my mind with the name Shiloh.. so I went back the next day and got him :)
Ghengis Khan: a ruler? .... not really but he looks cool and acts like he is all that.
El Dorado: the name says it all.
Riddle: friend is a H.P fan and named my fish :|
Shadow: He was a shadow in the background of the platy tank, and he is now a dark blue wonder...so mellow. 'sposed to be black :mad:
Marge and Tina (sisters): ... punny.
Zebra and Rose: Zebra grew fast and is fast, has submission stripes a lot of the time. Rose, is the only red.
Crayola Colors: name says it all
Voldemort: What a butt. Guess he suited the name? :lol: (joke: he too, has no nose.)
Sasuke: rescue, kept the name my friend gave him. Anime lover, she is o.o
Reggie: like Shiloh, same situation.
Nemphis: Walkin' in Memphis. Changed it ;-)

#20 ·
Ezra: I've always really liked the name and decided from the start that I wanted to name a betta Ezra (also Enoch, but I haven't found and bought one yet that suits that name). He looked like an Ezra to me, so Ezra he was.

Bebette: Cajun for "bug" (or "critter"). When I got both of the girls they were these tiny little things (they're still pretty small) and I thought it fit pretty well, and I liked it (thought it was amusing too). Turns out it works because I have a hard time finding her half the time! Haha

Haifisch: German for "shark" -- I thought the idea of naming a betta "shark" was amusing, and her coloration reminds me of sharks as well. She also eats like one, but isn't completely vicious (and most sharks aren't).

Kostya: I have a slew of Russian names I want to use, a number of which are from Anna Karenina (first Russian book I've read thus far) -- I love Russian nicknames and there were a lot in there that I liked. He didn't suit Enoch, and he's really struck me as a Kostya so, there we go. Incidentally, the Kostya in Anna Karenina is also arguably quirky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.