Betta Fish Forum banner

Help? Water in tank is pretty cloudy...

896 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  catfishtabbi 
#1 ·
Hey all. I know that it is normal for the water in a tank to get cloudy when it is in its first few weeks (or so i was told anyway) but it has only been 4 days and the water is pretty cloudy. Should I clean the water out now or should I wait a week like I was told?

The tank is a one gallon with live plants and silk plants in it. Only one Betta and he has been really good about eating his food now that he is in his smaller tank. (the bigger one made him nervous and all he did was hide in his cave and not eat).

Hope that is enough info, thanks for your help all.

#8 ·
I kept my betta in a 1 gallon bowl for a few weeks before I got his tank set up. I did 50% water changes every other day. The water remained clean and he remained happy. With such a small about of water all of his waste and any missed food will take over quickly. I recomend siphoning the water in and out, it cause less disturbance. I used a regular air hose (one for removing water and one for replacing water to avoid contamination).

#10 ·
Wow thanks for all your help, you guys are great! I did the complete bowl change with a water conditioner for bettas and Vinny is active and happy! I even kept him in the kitchen with me while I did the change and he seemed to be watching me the entire time lol. He is really smart too. He swam right into his net when I went to put him back into his clean bowl. Fish are really charactors lol.

Thanks again!

#12 ·
Wow thanks for all your help, you guys are great! I did the complete bowl change with a water conditioner for bettas and Vinny is active and happy! I even kept him in the kitchen with me while I did the change and he seemed to be watching me the entire time lol. He is really smart too. He swam right into his net when I went to put him back into his clean bowl. Fish are really charactors lol.

Thanks again!
My betta swam onto the slotted spoon as well, i have witnesses! I would wisper"mommys cleaning your house" i thought that maybe he liked hearing human voices. I always wanted to post it but i was reluctant,thanks for your post.I used a shake of aq salt to inhibit fungus, unfiltered betta bowls, especially near a kitchen are prone to it, i've kept around 15 and they lived 5,6,& 7 years unfiltered, unheated never overfed- once a day7 granuals or less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.