Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Green Salamander

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 27.6%

Which would you buy?

4K views 51 replies 12 participants last post by  Sena Hansler 
#1 · (Edited)
Though they may not all be FISH, I didn't know whether to stick them in finless, or other fish :roll:

Anyways, long story short I wouldn't mind breeding something that would in the end be a little more profitable, so I'm just adding a poll to see what would be more desired, and what's not. And I'm not breeding until I am absolutely certain of the breed, species, care, etc. =D

Of course the poll won't automatically determine what I will breed, but it will help. My roomie has dealt with most of these that are named, breeding and keeping-wise so he can help me out :)

#3 ·
hmmm never thought of that =D

And it's "possible" just a lengthy, more....elaborate set up rather than sticking two in a tank. They tend to breed better in something that mimics their habitat VERY well. It'd be a time consuming project.

#5 ·
I obviously have the cruddiest luck with bettas. :/ and here, no one wants bettas, unless they are cheap. Like...dirt cheap. and dirt cheap doesn't cover set up D:

#6 ·
Yea betta aren't worth it really.
Mudskippers are expensive, they need brackish water and a pretty smart set up, but you could easily net $100 a piece for them.
Or fire belly toads, cheaper set up and breed a lot easier.
Posted via Mobile Device

#9 ·
:lol: they are pretty interesting.... I'd have to ship them here though, since the ONE I saw here, is RARE and severely costly!! D: But, I'll have some extra money so I can do this kind cooleo stuff x)

#11 ·
I heard leopard geckos are the easiest geckos to breed.I am not sure if they fetch a good price because they are hard to find in my city.

#12 ·
Here they cost...um....45.00 in this store... other stores about 25-35 I think. I'd have to scout around =D

OMG my roomie and I are going to BIG AL'S whenever we can!!!! =D He deals more in reptiles and amphibians, and I deal with fish xD

#13 ·
Axolotls are pretty easy to breed from what I've heard and really popular.

I vote for P. Watl, Spanish Ribbed Newts. I find them fantastically ugly/adorable and want one so bad XD So I suppose I'm slightly biased.

My vote goes to Axolotl as well then.

#14 ·
I have experience with breeding axolotls. (in fact, mine is up for stud at the moment) My first spawn was an "oops" spawn. We had no idea that the guy we got them from DID NOT give us two girls, but a boy and a girl instead. They are super rewarding to breed and fun to raise but they have their challenges. My advice is DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!! You will be super grateful you did. If you have any questions about breeding axxies please feel free to PM me and I will answers them to the best of my knowledge. (That includes everyone)

#15 ·
Awesome, Erin =D axolotls are not common here, and they would turn heads. especially when the little guys are 80.00 in town! lower price, better sales. ;-) Of course, homework before the projects :p for anything, really.

#16 ·
Don't you have to house the babies separate or they can eat each other? Not sure at what point. Saw an axie breeder with 7363738 tiny kritter keepers for each baby.
Each animal has it's downfalls. :D
Posted via Mobile Device

#17 ·
xD well, kritter keepers it is LOL. They probably could be territorial - I mean, most males are against each other of most species!!

-reading up on it- Apparently for beginners, a large amount of eggs can result in being overwhelmed, and most if not all of the larvae dying... best to give a good amount away. Makes sense =D But... I have two people on my team MWAHAHA (roomie xD) 24-72 hours after they hatch, feed them... And unlike betta fry MUST HAVE ONLY LIVE FOODS o.o Daphnia for youngin's, and hold off microworms untill they start getting their front legs :) Oh, and BBS for youngin's as well... (I'll be getting fairy shrimp.)

#18 ·
Isn't that weird... No micro worms until they have front legs.. And how too many micro worms may cause no ventrals in betta.. What is in those things!
Posted via Mobile Device

#19 ·
:lol: well apparently for axolotls, they are not as nutritious as daphnia, brine shrimp/fairy shrimp o_O who knew?!

Oh, the "attack each other" part...the bigger ones become cannibals because they snap at anything that moves....like their smaller siblings. So dividing them into small numbers in tubs/containers is a good idea... And it changes the look of their head and teeth! When they are one inch... the person personally does "maximum of 25 larvae per 45x20x25 cm" which makes sense... and feed them thawed frozen bloodworms =D Keep them at 22 degrees celsius (yay! canadian! baha) which is about room temperature. And at 10 days old, fast growth, they are an inch. Wow. They grow faster than bettas :p

#21 ·
yay! xD Geesh I am having a hard time finding someone who has them, whether breeder, online in Canada, or an actual store o_o perhaps I need to go to the city xD

#22 ·
Hmm if you're willing to ship, search kijiji Toronto.. Or any other large city. Toronto has a couple of breeders (though one never even responded when I asked what colors they have availible.)
Posted via Mobile Device

#23 ·
Hmmm okay =D I would be willing to ship, I'd want two...male and female, obviously xD

#24 ·
Breeding any animal isnt profitable....

#26 ·
+999999999999

OK, here is my two cents. I breed leopard geckos, bearded dragons and next year will be crested geckos as well (if my female is up to breeding weight).

Breeding anything, you will not even break even. Many breeders of all kinds of animals do not break even and end up bankrupt. The first five years of a breeding venture are the most crucial and difficult.

I'll do an example with leopard geckos, since I know them the best. You need to buy a quality pair of leopard geckos. Which morph you get depends on how much you'll be spending. Breeding leopard geckos is not like breeding bettas, there are SO MANY genetics in leopard geckos and there are many "rules" regarding these genetics (don't mix the albino strains - yes, there is more than one- for example). You need a minimum of 2 tanks, to quarantine the leos away from each other, and then separate them after breeding takes place. Contrary to popular belief, leopard geckos SHOULD NOT BE HOUSED TOGETHER. You need to have money put aside for vet bills as the female can have many problems during the breeding period. For example, my blizzard female became eggbound, despite doing everything she needed. Just going to the vet to CONFIRM its eggbinding costs $90.00, that is not including the surgery and medications afterwards. And that surgery is a risky procedure. You need to have under tank heating. NOT OVERHEAD. Which can run anywhere from $50 to closer to $100. You need a separate, heated enclosure for every baby. And leopard geckos hatch 2 eggs per clutch, with up to and sometimes over 10 clutches a year. Leopard geckos can store sperm, so even if you only allow them to mate once, they can still produce eggs months after copulation.
That is not including the hundreds of dollars in live foods. Leopard geckos NEED live foods.

It works out to be A LOT of money. You won't break even. You'll be far from it; FAR FAR from it. And that goes with any animal. Even getting things second hand only saves so much money.

You should never ever buy an animal with the only intention of breeding. I think that is just cruel. I decided to breed these animals after I'd had them for a year. During that time I did A LOT of research. I'm a member of several forums. I also have a breeding mentor, who I can call, e-mail and hang out with whenever I want. She has proven to be invaluable to me, helping me through everything step by step. I think you should own an animal for at least a year before considering to breed them; you need experience. I also believe you should be experienced in raising these animals already, that way you KNOW how to handle the animal at every stage of its life. I bought adult leopard geckos and baby leopard geckos before breeding so that I could understand the differences in their care, and how different it is in handling them and taming them.

You also need to look at the possibility that you won't sell all these animals; what are you going to do with them? If you are in a tight position money wise already, how are you going to afford to feed the mouths of the animals that DON'T sell.

And what about culling? Culling a reptile is a LOT different than culling a fish. Do you know a common way of culling a reptile? Smashing it over the head with a brick. I'm completely serious. Will you have the stomach to do that? Because you WILL face that situation. Paying a vet to put down every animal that needs to be culled will not be an option.

Also, no offense to everyone on here, but the majority of the people who are answering this thread won't be buying your animals so their opinions shouldn't really matter. You need to ask the people in YOUR area what is the most popular and which of these they would most like to buy. What is popular in the US may not be popular here in Canada.

I say if you are looking to earn more money, get a job. Breeding animals is purely for fun and improving the species. Its not about making money.

#25 ·
I'm sure by "a little more profitable" she means something that isn't a total money sink like betta..
If you're dedicated and willing to ship you would get a return on your axies eventually. Even breaking even shouldn't take too long.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.