Betta Fish Forum banner

Honest Opinions on blue/red crowntail?

9K views 79 replies 17 participants last post by  Basement Bettas 
#1 ·
Hey...so to be clear I am not really thinking about showing him and I am not even sure about breeding him. I just wanted some honest opinions on him other than the typical "oh he's cute." I am not sure if he's at full flare in the pics. Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
the shape and spacing of the rays in his tail are very nice, if he's not fully grown yet he MIGHT end up being a cross-ray. his dorsal and anal fins are pretty messy though, and his color pattern screams "pet store." overall he's a beautiful fish, but IMO not breeding material.

#6 ·
I would rather have an Ulgly fish with great personality rather than a colorful one with personality. You got the best of both worlds.

#7 ·
As a guy obsessed with the CTs, I see a beautiful fish that, yes has a messy anal and dorsal fin, has what i believe to be an amazing tail fin. I love how the blue on his fins melts into red, but i wish that it would on the dorsal too. And the red pectorals stand out, which i see as a good thing. He doesn't appear to have the 180* spread like is prefered, but definately at least 70*! good fish!

#14 ·
Why is this in the show section? Thought this area to discuss shows and show quality fish.

He is a pet quality fish. Barely super delta in spread though he does have good length giving him some balance. He is also blue with a very bad red wash.

#15 ·
First off you don't have to be rude or nasty because my fish isn't "show quality" as if that makes him any less of a betta because he isn't oh so perfect. If you don't have anything constructive to say without being rude keep your comments to yourself. Your behavior is uncalled for and filled with ignorance.

#16 ·
This should have been posted in another section of the forum. I finished 3rd over all last year so hardly speak from ignorance. I have more bettas in my house on any given day then most people here will have in their life time. I'm sure he is a wonderful pet. In case you missed it, this is for SHOW bettas. This post needs to go elsewhere. This area is for those seriously interest in the showing of bettas.. and all the pet posts will just make people stop coming to this area as it is not being taken serious.

Sorry if you think I am rude. I am blunt and to the point. It is irritating to have people in this section showing pet shop bettas and griping because there is no place to show them. And you asked for an opinion. You want your pet shop buddies to say you have a beautiful fish.. post elsewhere. You want the opinion of one who shows you got it. You want me to get more detailed in my evaluations of him and why he does not belong here? I was nice considering what you asked for.

#17 ·
Please excuse the not so nice comments.

For a petstore betta, I think he's lovely. His rays are long but a bit messy, not as bad as they could be. Personally, he's a beautiful pet, not for breeding or showing. He may have from from one of those mass breeders that don't care about their fish.. But congrats on him <3

#18 · (Edited)
I agree about the red wash... it'll take several generations to breed that out so that it stops showing up. You'd be better off starting with no red wash in the parents or grandparents. That way whatever your goal is, you won't have to deviate from it to focus on the red wash for such a large amount of time. You don't want to drive yourself nuts over something that is easily avoided in the beginning. I ended up not using any of the fry I bought from a breeder in my breeding program because they showed too much red wash. It just wasn't worth the time and energy needed to correct it for me. Plus, babies with red wash are not going to be popular with buyers, meaning you'd probably have to end up selling to a pet store, where they won't be well taken care of.

#19 ·
I have to say that I agree that this section should be strictly for show fish, not petstore fish. This is a section where members can discuss shows, show fish, show standards and stuff like that. No one is saying anything bad about petstore fish. All mine except 3 came from Petsmart and I love them all equally. :)

#21 · (Edited)
I agree with someone being full on there evaluatipn and pointing out faults. But I love his looks. Carter is a pet store fish that is bad quality too.

#22 ·
He is a lovely fish and in much better condition than often found at the pet shops. The red wash fault for me makes him very flashy for you. However.. it was asked..
I just wanted some honest opinions on him other than the typical "oh he's cute."

He is not show quality. No need to go into detail why as he is a good find. I'd just enjoy him. If you want to learn more about what we look at and develop an eye for faults, I review nice fish sold on AB and point out what makes them good.. as well as where they need work in the coming generations. Just do a search and like the page. And you are welcome to ask questions if you don't understand or need more clarity.

Reactions: Olympia
#24 ·
I believe she got upset because the honest opinion was in someone elses opinion "Blunt" but to most everyone else was very rude.

There is a way to give an opinion in a respectful manner.

Reactions: redchigh
#30 ·
What is uncalled for is having an entire forum to make these request. But no.. you come in to the SHOW fish section and want your pet shop fish evaluated then don't like what you hear. And then I'm rude because I tick off the faults and am annoyed people can't respect this ONE section for what it was set up for. To discuss SHOW fish and SHOWING fish.

#34 ·
I'd like to know why people ask then gripe at what they get too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.