Betta Fish Forum banner

Ripped Fins

663 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Myates 
#1 ·
So my newest betta, Sev, has every one of his fins ripped. It looks like he fought a cheese grater. It isn't fin rot, I know that much. But I was wondering how long it takes for them to re-grow, or if there's anything I can do for him?

#2 ·
If it's a straight line rip from bottom to top, it should only take a couple of days at the most to fuse back together. Shredded/chunks can take a bit longer.. a week to a few weeks/months.. How did he get his fins damaged?

High protein diet, clean water and stress coat will help promote fin regrowth.

#3 ·
There thankfully just straight line rips. Thank you for that information.
He's a rescue from one of my pet stores. Brought him home for christmas, and to have a nice home with me. No idea how his fins got ripped. The poor lad.

#4 ·
They can rip their fins in that fashion in a couple of ways- if you use a net that happens frequently and very easily, if the filter isn't baffled it can rip them, and since he was used to the small cup (and in the breeder's jar before the cup which isn't much bigger then the cup) so a larger amount of water is new to them. They have to build up their muscles and sometimes when doing so at the beginning, they can rip their fins when pushing too hard. Also spiky plastic plants can do so- even the bushy ones with small spikes do it often.

As long as you do the regular water changes while the fins are regrowing then you shouldn't have to worry about fin rot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.