Betta Fish Forum banner
521K views 5K replies 635 participants last post by  Lyonfish 
#1 ·
I've seen several threads regarding "Baby Betta" for sale at PetCo. I wanted to start this thread for all discussion about PetCo selling Baby Betta, pictures of your new fish or what you've seen at your local stores, and stories of our success and failures.

I am really not sure how I feel about Betta being sold so small. I know that in the hands of your average fish keeper most do not have a chance. Those that do survive to adulthood will probably spend the rest of their lives in cold water in the 1/4 gallon "tank" they have stocked with them in the display.

Regardless, after hearing about petco selling true "baby" betta, I had to go take a look. Sure enough, I saw no less then 30 colorless, unsexable almost-fry less then the size of my thumbnail, fins included.

I had no intention of actually buying one of these poor fish, but then I saw one that was slightly larger then the rest in the baby cups. This one had started to show a blue and red mix of color and was clearly a double tail. Sure enough I walked out of the store with a miniscule but potentially beautiful new fish at the low low cost of $1.99.

I brought him home on Saturday. He is in M1's old 1 gallon corner tank. My apartment is running at a cool 80 degrees and his tank is holding solid at a comfortable 78. If he makes it to be large enough, I will add him to the empty section of my divided 10 gallon. He currently eats crushed hikari and frozen bloodworms.

Not going to get too attached to his fragile little guy just yet, but my fingers are crossed.

Anyone else fall victim to this cuteness trap? Post your pictures and tell your stories.

Attachments

See less See more
#2,791 ·
She's gorgeous lil!! You're so lucky our petco doesn't do the baby betta.

#2,792 ·
It's not mine SabastiansMom, I was just sexing it for the other users. I do have babies of my own though but I haven't taken any recent pictures to show their progress lately.

#2,794 ·
OMG! Only two weeks? Why do they sell them so young?

#2,796 ·
Fang what do you have this lil betta in?

#2,797 ·
He is in a pickle jar until I can afford his actual bowl ouo'' I am working very hard to get both of my babies new bowls! I am selling art and doing chores around the house (though our family isn't wealthy to begin with) I am doing my best and they are both happy little betta's ouo

#2,798 ·
Fang, looks like a boy thus far :)

A pickle jar is just fine as long as it is heated or you live in a warmer climate for the time being :)

#2,800 ·
I've had 4 babies total... 1 died about 4 weeks after I got him. The other 3 lived much longer - Lady Icarus is still going, Alaric passed away about a month ago when he was around 15 months old, and my sweet Yoshi boy passed away last night after 11 months with me :(

If you know what you're doing and take proper care of them, they'll live quite some time and they're such a joy to watch grow :)

#2,805 ·
I crush the pellets with a spoon. Then I give them a little pinch at each feeding. I dont want to overfeed. Then when they are about an 1" to 1 1/2 I switch to 2x a day. It really depends on the baby.
Sometimes if I notice one of my new bigger Bettas are having a hard time eating a pellet I give them crushed as well. I always drop a pellet first to see if they are ok eating it.

I know others probably feed differently but that's what works for me.

#2,807 ·
My adult betta has a hard time "grabbing" his pellets... should I start crushing them? I have snails to eat any leftovers.

I want to get a baby betta soon, it must be nice to watch them grow from almost the beginning with you, and watch to see how they turn out. :)

#2,809 ·
Adults spitting out pellets means they are too big for him, not that he's picky or anything. Though on the rare occasion it is because they are picky but the majority of the time, the pellet is just too much to handle.

For babies, 2-3 times a day and feed until belly is round but not bloated/sticking out terribly. Each baby metabolizes differently so you may have one that will eat more than another one might.

The thing with PetCo babies is, yes most of them will grow up with you but they also have a shortened life span of on average a year old, 2 years if you are one of the lucky ones. So just be wary of that, if you don't want a fish that lives that short then don't get a baby, they would be too much work for you in the end and not much of a 'reward' for you.

If you REALLY want to have an experience raising a fry, you should contact a breeder and ask for one of their fry if they are of shipping age, that way you know they will or should have the normal life span of 2-4 average years, possibly 5 years. Though, not all breeders are willing to do this, some are.

#2,810 · (Edited)
he doesn't spit them out, unless he has it hanging from his mouth, and he cant quite get it into his mouth without it falling.
What he does is I plop the pellet onto the water, he swims over, sometimes he successfully sucks it into his mouth, but a lot of the time he tries to bite it, but he fails and freaks out twisting and frantically swimming away, then if it hasn't dropped, he tries again. Sometimes this happens a lot of times in a row, but lately he has been doing better.

The pellets might be too big for his mouth.

Why do they have shortened lives? because of their conditions in the store? :( (guessing)

#2,817 ·
With proper water changes along with a heater, a bowl does not have to become a death trap. Remember not all our members have tanks but that doesn't mean they are not able to provide proper care for their Betta.

Be kind to each other , we are all here to learn, one way or the other :)

#2,821 ·
Yes, I know it's a male; pointed anal fin, longer fins, larger eyes and lack of ovaries ;-)

#2,824 ·
I'm no betta pro but these are some things I have learned here! ~

Feed them 3 times a day! The micro pellets can be found at petco right above the babies.

Daily/every other day half water changes! This is because the let off hormones into the water and it can stunt there growth (I think).

Keep water an about 82 degrees! (Mine have cold water most of the time and I put the occasional warm water in to warm it up if I think it's too cold and they both seem happy and fine uvu ) I'd suggest getting a heater of some sort for cold days (Like winter and junk)

Get a bowl that is around 2.5 gallons (Mine are not in one there bowls are both very small but are holding up fine! (New bowls on the way))

Make sure that they have a wide serfs so they can come up for a breath! (You do not need a bubbler or anything for these amazing fish!)

Suggestions~

Get plants! My babies love there plants! They sleep on them and hid in them!

I hope this helps! :) And I don't know if my facts are 100% so I'd suggest doing some research uvu

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.