Betta Fish Forum banner

HELP!! Mysterious tumor or fungal infection?

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  onekatietwo 
#1 ·
My female betta has developed a funny bump on her back. It happened once before a few weeks ago, but it was super small and quickly disappeared without me having to do anything. Now it's back, and two days ago, the size has doubled. The lump now bigger than her eyeball. I thought it might be a fungal infection, but the lump isn't fuzzy at all, it's just white (which could be due to her skin color, I'm not sure). I've had her for 1.5 years, and so far she's still eating well and is very active. I've been keeping her water clean as well. Can someone tell me what she might have and what I can do to treat her?
Here are some pictures of the lump on her back.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Oh no! I did make a call to the vet clinic a few days ago, but the front desk people told me that I was better off buying myself a new betta. I was thinking of adding some table salt to the water, but since I don't know if the bump is due to parasites, I'm kind of hesitant. I'm just really concerned because the tiny bump turned into this gigantic monstrosity almost overnight.

#6 ·
Thats terrible what the vet's office told you. It sounds like it could be a bacterial infection. You can treat a bacterial infection with Maracyn or Maracyn 2. Maracyn is a broad spectrum antibiotic. I'm not 100% sure of the diagnosis but I think the Maracyn might help.

#9 ·
It looks like tumor to me. Only way of removing it is surgery. There is no cure for that unfortunately although the fish will live for as long as the tumor doesn't take its toll on the host.

#11 ·
thanks crowntail lover, i'll definitely try the water-changing thing and hope for the best. if it is a tumor, there isn't much else i can do.

dramaqueen - the greeny coloring is the natural coloring of her scales. she kind of has a light blue/minty green patch of color on her back. no worries, she doesn't have moss growing on her. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.