Betta Fish Forum banner

Lyzz's Journal.

8K views 68 replies 5 participants last post by  LyzzaRyzz 
#1 ·
So, today, I snagged me a winner.

Among the gorgeous bettas at my LFS, [which is one of the few good ones], I spied a mustard gas male, and I almost didnt get him, almost bough a banded red and blue, but i went back and grabbed him right before i paid, and Im so glad I did!

Hes so smart, Hes already playing peek a boo with his pots, checking to see if im watching him, and using the feeding station in the front of the tank..
His first feeding i fed him there, and he just got the hang of it...now hes begging for more food!

This is such a change from my last bettas, who died last night of a vicious case of ick.
So my new betta is bittersweet, but i did my best for Bosco and Purp, Now thier in the million gallon tank in the sky.

Anyways, this is my journal, and in it, Ill share my life, with my many pets, and my boyfriend, Joe. Im 22, am enrolled in a vet tech college, and I live in Rhode Island.

Ive got one betta, five koi, two dogs, a cat and three tree frogs.

The koi live in a pond in my back yard, a decent sized one, but not deep enough fro the fish to winter, [believe me, we tried, sad, sad, dead fish.] So, they get moved indoors, where we noticed two werent as big as the others, and I seperated them to see if i could get em nice and plump for next year.
Turns out they had swim bladder problems, and they were treated with peas and fasting, but the smaller koi, SickFish, is still lagging, so ive decided to not put him in the pond in the spring.
Sick Fish and Orange live in a ten gallon, upgrading to a 15 gallon.

My beagle, Lilly is 12 years old and always the proper lady, the complete opposite of my Dachshund/Poodle, Khodii, whose one and a half, and is just a ball of endless energy, unless hes sleeping. cause that dog is a napping machine!

My car, Rainbob is the biggest tomcat in the neighborhood, and he patrols our property, beating up other cats who dare look at our house. I once saw him take on two cats at once and come out on top.
But hes not all toughness, he loves to cuddle, and is the only cat I know that drools with happiness when you pet him. =] He sits on your hip like a child, and even wraps his paws around your neck. So cute!

And then we have the tree frogs. We raised two of them from tadpoles, the spring peepers, and the other one is a grey tree frog, that a friend found and gave to us.

So, those are my pets; Questions, comments, hey-how-are-ya's, feel free!

See less See more
#57 ·
So, this is just a quick update, of the new puppies.
[Rest of story after dinner!]
This is Toby Joe.
Mammal Dog Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed

This is Maggie Lou.
Mammal Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

And here is them together.

Now for supper, and Ill be back in a bit!

[Chesh...they are as cute as they look..and more pictures after!]

#58 ·
So, I got a new betta, a present to myself, about a week ago, after crayfish escaped and died.
Hes in a 2.5 with a small sponge filter and a heater. =]
Leaf Plant Freshwater aquarium Aquarium Flower

Freshwater aquarium Feeder fish Aquarium Fish Plant

Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Aquarium decor Plant Organism

Freshwater aquarium Aquarium Plant Fish Goldfish

Plant Plant stem Freshwater aquarium Grass Aquarium

Carnivorous plant Freshwater aquarium Plant Botany Plant stem

Houseplant Aquarium Plant Leaf Plant stem

Nature Aquarium Organism Plant Freshwater aquarium

Fish Fish Nature Freshwater aquarium Green

A video of his face, and a video of him swimming around.
new betta vid 1 - YouTube
new betta vid 7 25 - YouTube

Heres a picture of the quick scape i did for his tank..
Aquarium decor Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Aquarium lighting Feeder fish

Heres a picture of the rescape. =]
Freshwater aquarium Aquarium Aquarium decor Aquarium lighting Apple pie

I put two ghost shrimp in his tank, to see what hed do, and this is what he did..
new betta chasing shrimp vid 1 - YouTube

And just a video of him in his tank..=]

Also, with my big tank dilemma, the out come is that i can now start putting my fish back in my tank, but my boyfriend beat me to it and bought me more cherry barbs, cause he feels bad he killed the other ones. So, i had to scape it real quick from silk plants at the dollar store and this is what it looks like now!
Green Freshwater aquarium Aquarium Aquatic plant Organism

Ill be sending pictures of the puppies to my email and trying to upload them tonight, if not tomorrow afternoon!

#60 ·
Thanks Chesh!
There should be more pictures coming too..=] Its alotta work, since i cant just upload em..>.<
I actually just added some sand to my 45, its looking good!
Its no where near as much as i need, but it covers te bottom, and it gives me an idea what its gonna look like..
I really like the dollar store stuff..makes it look like the fish are swimming in a tree! lol

The barbs are doing really well, one of the males is already courting one of the females..=]

#61 ·
Puppy pictures!!!

So, heres the pictures i promised [awhile ago, i know. :oops:]

More pictures of the pups on their first day:
Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Dog Canidae

Mammal Vertebrate Dog Canidae Dog breed

Vertebrate Mammal Dog Canidae Dog breed

My boyfriend meeting the pups..=]
Mammal Vertebrate Dog Canidae Carnivore

Mammal Canidae Dog Pointer Dog breed

My mom with Maggie, My dad with Toby, and then a group picture, loL
Mammal Canidae Dog Dog breed Carnivore

Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog Carnivore

Then some random cute things, and playing..=]
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed

Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog Dog breed

Mammal Vertebrate Dog Dog breed Canidae

Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed Dog

Theeen, my doodle, Khodii...=]
Dog Mammal Canidae Dog breed Old english sheepdog

Dog Canidae Toy Poodle Maltese Dog breed

Attachments

#62 · (Edited)
I got a 50 gallon tank, WITH NO MIRROR!!

So, ive switched over the tanks, rescaped, got some new plants, and have no idea what to do with the mirror backed tank!
Anyways, here are pictures of what id done to the 45 before i took it down!
Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Aquatic plant Aquarium Plant

And THIS is the new tank!
Freshwater aquarium Aquarium Aquarium lighting Aquarium decor Aquatic plant

Freshwater aquarium Aquarium Aquarium lighting Aquarium decor Aquatic plant

Freshwater aquarium Aquarium decor Aquarium Aquarium lighting Plant

Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Aquarium decor Aquatic plant Plant

Nature Freshwater aquarium Vegetation Aquarium Aquatic plant

Freshwater aquarium Aquarium decor Aquarium Nature Aquarium lighting

Got some new plants as well, here they are..not exactly sure what they are, but ill find out..=]
Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Aquatic plant Aquarium Organism

Aquarium decor Aquatic plant Terrestrial plant Freshwater aquarium Organism

Also, i picked up some cories! Tree salt and pepper, four green and was supposed to get four albino, but got one free, cause his back is bent. I got them from petsmart, so theyll be in QT for about a month.
Green Organism Adaptation Amphibian Fish

[[[add more pictures]]]

I upgraded my fry tank to a 5.5, and added sand to it, heres what it looked like before sand and plants, and after.
Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Screen Aquarium lighting Fish

Aquarium Nature Freshwater aquarium Underwater Aquarium lighting

Also, added sand to my new bettas tank, who ive names Little Finger. Heres a few of his tank!
Freshwater aquarium Nature Aquarium decor Aquarium lighting Aquarium

Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Aquarium decor Aquarium lighting Marine biology

Nature Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Aquatic plant Aquarium

I rescaped my other bettas tank as well, since it was akind of rag-tag tank, but it looks alot better now!
Aquarium decor Aquarium Aquatic plant Freshwater aquarium Aquarium lighting

Nature Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Aquarium lighting Aquatic plant

I also did the QT tank, though kept it minimal as much as i could, cause it is a qt!
Aquarium Organism Freshwater aquarium Aquarium decor Turtle

[[add pictures]]

I found one of the feeder guppies in Tyrions tank is missing an eye! No poofinedd, no fungus, acting normal, just sans an eye! I snapped a picture, though the feeder gups are really skittish.
Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Nature Aquarium Plant

Nature Green Aquatic plant Plant Leaf

I now have a hospital tank as well, a spare 2.5 that im raising baby water sprites in.
Aquarium Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Aquarium lighting Aquatic plant

Attachments

#63 ·
Well, since i apparently cant add pictures fto a post thats already posted, heres the rest of the pictures!

How the QT looks after the redo,
Freshwater aquarium Aquarium Aquarium decor Aquarium lighting Aquatic plant

Tyrions tank after the water settled,
Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Aquarium Aquarium lighting Aquatic plant

More of the new cories..
Nature Aquatic plant Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Fish

Pond Aquatic plant Plant Water feature Turtle

Organism Adaptation Reptile Red eared slider Amphibian

And the last picture in the last post are my snail eggs! I found them under the filter when i was switching the tanks! So here is how im keeping them, and hopefully im doing it right, im gonna research!
Glass

Hand Photography Black hair

Also, the fishums in the new 50 gallon!
Nature Aquarium decor Aquatic plant Green Vegetation

Freshwater aquarium Aquarium Nature Aquatic plant Aquarium lighting

Aquatic plant Vegetation Aquarium Organism Freshwater aquarium

#65 ·
So, been away for a bit, kind of discouraged with my 50 gallon recycling, and my apple snails dying. Turns out, even if all the dollar store plants are fully covered in plastic, rust still happens, and WILL KILL your inverts.
And plus, i added some of my original fry, that are finally grown up, in the big tank, and thats what caused the cycle. Sigh. So, i removed about 200 baby fry [i know, i had no idea there was that many], and moved them to a ten gallon. Then i removed most of my adultish fry, and sold them, 10 dollars for a dozen!! and only kept three males, which are amazingly colored, will take pictures! =]
FINALLY, the tank cleared up, but its not like guppies are going to stop breeding, and i still had cherry babrbs in QT, so i decided to take the pristellas out of the tank and into thier own tank til my petstore can take them in. I added the cherries that were in QT, to the big tank, since we like them better.
So i removed ten fish, and added four, which cuts my bio load down even more than removing the fry.
I will have to do a weekly fry catching, as i have no idea when the females are giving birth, they always look ready to pop!

So, now i have three fry tanks. My boyfriend isnt pleased, since we adopted out my ACF to get rid of a tank, and i set it right back up again. 0.o hope my lps can take these pristella soon!!

#66 ·
Haha, Lyzza. . . I've been wondering about you! I was actually thinking of sending a message earlier, but thought I should check your posts first, of course I haven't had the time. Sounds like things have been up-and-down over there lately. Hopefully everything is sorted out and under control now. You were so all about breeding those guppies. . . I'm sorry, but it makes me laugh! Glad you were able to sell some off, that's wonderful! I had trouble even giving them away. Please keep us posted on how things go over there! Best of luck!

#67 ·
Things really were up an down! Theyve settled down more now, thankfully.
Ive been working alot, and the puppies keep me running!
Im going to be doing a more in detailed update tonight, so get ready! =]=]

#69 ·
Looking at my last post, so much has happened!!
Things are alot more settled down, and im able to enjoy my tanks for the first time in a while, without stressing.
So for my update, ill start with furries first, starting with the puppies!

The puppies are doing great, though there has been problems. They are terrified of leaving the house/yard, and literally are scared shitless by leashes. [Toby fead pooped.] Its been difficult, and since both pups are to disctincgtly different, maggie being outgoing, alpha, though easily scared, shes easier to handle, and more like a 'normal' puppy. Toby on the other hand, is what were calling "a bit autistic". He is wary of everything and everyone, and will twist and squirm and run from you if you try to pick him up, or even go to touch him. He does like to be pet though, only on his terms. My boyfriend and I sit on the floor and talk to each other, and Maggie will come up and crawl in our laps and give kisses, cause shes a real cuddler. Toby will sit in the crate for how ever long he feels he needs to for it to be 'safe'.
Then hell stretch out, and lay half in and half out. Then wiggles out and sits just outside the crate, leaning on it. During this time, if you look at him, hell run back into the crate. Hell get up and quietly move around to your back, and peek at you. Then he nudges you, and if you move, hell run, so you stay still, and hell start licking you. He gets really happy when he licks, so we let him do it, even though its a bad habit, i see it as any love from Toby is good love. If you slowly give him your hand, low to the ground, he might lick you and let you touch him, but never an overhand pet. He really enjoys being pet, as the more you pet him, the more playful, and comfortable he gets. He starts playing with you, and loves his face rubbed and scratched. He actually likes you to play with his feet, and he gives kisses like theres no tomorrow! But make any move to grab him, or restrain him, or sudden movements, and hell bolt, and it all starts over again.
Problem is, my parents dont have the patience to do what me and my boyfriend do. Theyve never dealt with 'special' puppies before, and treat them like regular puppies, and that scares them! Ive tried to get my mom to understand that what she does scares the pups, and she tries to not do things, but sometimes shes so unaware. And my dad is a loud guy who talks with his hands, so that automatically makes them scared of him. Which is horrible, cause te reason we even got a puppy is for my dad, and now we have two, and their scared of him! Hes really down about it, but were helping him every day...
Anyways, heres some puppies in Jackets!
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

Heres the puppies at their saddest. Leash Training.
Cage Degu Animal shelter Canidae Chinchilla

Saddest puppies in the world.

But seriously, they have gotten so BIG! They are both bigger than khodii, toby by a good three inches!

And then Theres Khodii. What a derp. =]

He recently got clipped, so he went from looking like this:

to looking like this:
Dog Vertebrate Mammal Canidae Dog breed

Yeah. Big difference! But the puppies make him so DIRTY, and he needed a clipping before winter.
But Khodii is a cold puppy now...
Nap Sleep Canidae Snout Dog breed

So Khodii should wear a sweater...? XD
Dog Vertebrate Mammal Canidae Dog breed

Khoodii hates it!
Really hates it!!
Dog Vertebrate Canidae Mammal Dog breed

Oh well, well just wait til you grow back into this...
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

And another of him making a silly face..
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Standard Poodle

The rats are great as well, the girls staying the same, the boys getting..fatter...Lol.
Rat Muridae Hamster Mouse Muroidea

I woke them up for pictures. Tehe.
Rat Chinchilla Gerbil Muridae Hamster

Arya pretending to be stealthy..
Mammal Rodent Snout Capybara Hamster
Fawn

Sneaking up on the boys is impossible..theyare always watching and waiting for cuddles!
Degu Chinchilla Rodent Animal shelter Muridae

Tis Little Mouse! Hes still with us til his owner [our friend] can take him back.
Vertebrate Rat Mammal Muridae Rodent

Not so little anymore!!
Cage Bird Hand Parrot Animal shelter

Sandor and Little Mouse are Best Friends!
Rat Muridae Muroidea Rodent Animal shelter

Heres Sandor, worrying about mommies bandage..=] Little rat kisses makes everything better!
Degu Rat Chinchilla Rodent Hamster
Animal shelter Canidae Dog breed Cage Dog crate

Sandor Getting cuddled in a towel..=]
Rat Fur Finger Photo caption

And finally, for all the fuzzy pets, theres Rainbob, my kitty. Hes a big ol grey tomcat who i raised from a kitten, and was supposed to be an indoor cat, but when i moved my mom let him outside. He got the taste for freedom, and now prowls the neighborhood in search of other cats to beat up. Hes still lovable and sticks around our house, but you rarely ever see him. I always hear his tags though. =]
Anyways, he came for a visit one day, and i hadnt seen him since before we lost lilly..So, i took some pictures..=]
Cat Green Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Whiskers

Cat Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Snout Kitten

Cat Felidae Whiskers Small to medium-sized cats Nose

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.