Betta Fish Forum banner

Can I raise a female betta and a male betta in a 10 gallon tank?

8K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  RussellTheShihTzu 
#1 ·
I have a female betta(Gena) and a male betta(Freddy). I have a 10 gallon aquarium. Gena is in a 1 gallon aquarium. She has no hiding places or "buddies." That's mainly due to lack of space. I want her to be happy and not lonely. There are 7 plastic plants in the 10 gallon aquarium, 1 ceramic cave and a barrel-like structure. All the plants are on one side, the ceramic cave is among them. The barrel-like structure is on the opposite side. Here are some pictures of my fish and the aquariums:

----------

African Dwarf Frog by MacGyver1394, on Flickr
----------

Snail by MacGyver1394, on Flickr
----------

Snail by MacGyver1394, on Flickr
----------

Gena by MacGyver1394, on Flickr
----------

----------

----------

Freddy by MacGyver1394, on Flickr
----------

Aquarium by MacGyver1394, on Flickr
----------

Aquarium by MacGyver1394, on Flickr

If I put Gena in with Freddy for good, will Gena be okay?

On a side note, tomorrow, (Wednesday) I plan on buying 3 or four Ghost shrimp for the 10 gallon aquarium. I have two African Dwarf Frogs. I may even get a few more snails. Will everybody get along fine? Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
The only way you should ever try to put a male and female in the same tank is if it is divided.
You can get dividers for 10 gallons at petstores, or you can make your own: google "DIY Aquarium Divider". Divide it so she gets about a quarter of the tank space and everyone else gets the rest if you are dead set on getting her into that tank.

#4 ·
+1. The only reason males and females should e together is for breeding purposes. The only time I've heard of them in a non-separated, non-breeding tank is when they have been together ALL their life. And Freedy looks SO big! He would most likely kill Gena, or highly un-possible, breed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.