Betta Fish Forum banner

To divide a tank or not?

863 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  katydidmischief 
#1 ·
That is indeed the question *wink* Hello everyone! I would like to hear your thoughts about dividing a 10 gal tank to house two bettas. Or the other option is to give my little guy Raz a bigger tank all to himself (10 gal). Either way he would get a bigger tank since the one he is in right now is a 2.5 gal tank. Hmmm decisions...decisions. Also I should note he is still being very extremely picky on what he eats or doesn't eat so not sure a bigger tank will be good for him right now. I guess if you have any light to shine on my dilemma please I am all ears! :)

Thanks in advance! :-D

#2 ·
I have one of my boys in a 10 gallon all by himself, and he loves it. I suppose it would come down to whether you wanted to cut down on tanks in your house - you could have one tank with 2 fish in it, or 2 tanks. I've never tried dividing and have heard some horror stories about it... But one of the members here, BettaNewbie, put 2 dividers in her 10 gallon, and placed the filter and heater between them. I think that would cut down on the chance of one jumping the divider or them being able to see each other and getting stressed.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum!!!! Dividing a ten gallon would be a wonderful idea!!! I think that Raz is not eating because he is still a bit stressed out from the move into his new home(or like you said, he is just picky).

#4 · (Edited)
I just divided my first 5 gal and was so excited...a week later I hate it...im constantly paranoid they're stressing about one another with the flaring and im worried someones going to get sick and spread it...the tank looks great, caring for the tank is super easy but I just bought them their own seperate 2 gals which I cant wait to move them to so I can stop stressing and start enjoying. Thats just my experience tho and im sure others love it :) perhaps if I had divided a larger tank id enjoy it more but good luck with whatever you chose :)

This is a pic of it...

#9 ·
Thank you...the dividers were easy to make, and the space in between really helps cut down on stress, and if one happens to jump the divider they land in the middle lol...Bali did this last week. I had to add a piece of mesh over the top to deter him..but, it's a great tank, and I like not having as many now.

Oh, and if this helps...I didn't glue the dividers in, just made them really snug..so, if I ever want to convert it back to a regular 10g I can very easily!

#7 ·
my fiance had two bettas in a divided 10 gallon, with two more 3 gallon tanks, one on each side. the two in the 10g were much more aggressive, and would spend most of their time at the divider flaring at each other, so we moved them to the two 3g's and put the fish from them (much more laid back guys) in the 10g, and so far it's worked out wonderfully. you just have to find the right fish with the right personality to make it work.

#8 ·
Wow thank you all for responding. I have a lot to think about for sure. I still have not made up my mind yet. I guess I will work on cycling the tank first that should give me enough time to think. lol! ;)

Friendlyfishies You divided tank is beautiful! I understand what you mean about stressing out about those things. I'm pretty sure I would be the same way. You did a great job though. :)

Bettanewbie60 Wow your tank looks awesome! I like how you added a double divider. No way they are slipping through or seeing each other much. Great job as well! :)

aqua001 Thanks for the welcome! Yeah he is really picky and not wanting anything I give him. *sigh* I hope he starts to eat again. *fingers crossed*

toad I was thinking I might give Raz his own 10 gal tank. That is always a good option. Thanks. ;)

homegrown terror that is a good thought! I know that Raz likes to flare at his reflection when I turn on the light. Not sure if he is aggressive though. Seem pretty mellow for the most part. Even at the pet store he was pretty mellow. I hope mellow is a good thing. Well another thing I will have to consider. Thank you!

#10 ·
My thing i don't like 2 bettas in one tank only because if one get sick it will get other fish sick too-then you have 2 sick fish. I like to keep them separate. And i hate to cycle.

But if you will decide to have 2 bettas in the tank make sure new betta is healthy , so just quarantine it for a week . The same you should do with live plants.

#11 ·
I had previously had bad experiences with divided tanks, but I live in an apartment that's less than 250sqft, so when I brought home my Milton, I had to split a 10gal since fitting another 5.5gal into my tiny space just wouldn't have worked. Personally, it's not my favorite, but they don't flare at each other that I've seen and they're both healthy. If I could have separate tanks for them, I would.

If you'd like to keep two guys in one tank, it's a quick, space-saving solution. If you've got the space for more tanks or just giving Raz the 10 to himself, that's probably the best option. :)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.