Betta Fish Forum banner

Brand new fish tank

2K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  Lonely Dragon 
#1 ·
So I've been wanting to get a new betta and decided to get a larger tank than what I've always used. I've had bettas all through my life but they were always kept in 1 gallon tanks without a filter...or a heater:oops:. So now that I'm older and know they need all this stuff I decided to get a new little fish and give it a happy healthy home.

This is what I plan on getting:

Top fin 5.5 starter kit
fluorescent lightbulb
heater (thinking about a tetra heater)
thermometer
live plants
I already have gravel and decorations.

So I have a few questions and was hoping that all you knowledgable people here could help me.:)

I've been hearing a lot about cycling and bio filtration lately. I know the top fin filter just using carbon cartridges and I was wondering if a filter sponge stuffed behind that would work to house bacteria? And how often am I going to need to do water changes? What percent?

Any ideas on how to baffle the filter besides using a water bottle?

I don't plan on doing a fishless cycle (completely) but I am going to let the tank run for a week before getting the fish.

Lastly, I was going to get a tetra heater just because it's small and inexpensive but if someone had suggestions for a better (adjustable) heater that's still cheap I would love that. Also any suggestions for low light live plants would be greatly appreciated!:-D

PS. This is my first post so sorry if it's in the wrong section.

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad to hear you are doing it this way this time - and I bet your fish will be glad too. :)

So I have a few questions and was hoping that all you knowledgable people here could help me.:)

I've been hearing a lot about cycling and bio filtration lately. I know the top fin filter just using carbon cartridges and I was wondering if a filter sponge stuffed behind that would work to house bacteria?
I'm not knowledgeable about that particular filter, but if there is room, sure, pack it full of sponge. If you like (and if the design of the filter allows you to do this) you can even remove the carbon completely and fill the gap with sponge.

And how often am I going to need to do water changes? What percent?
Whilst it is cycling, you need to get a test kit to dictate that for you. Don't let ammonia or nitrites get above 0.25ppm. After cycling, 25-50% once a week. :)

Any ideas on how to baffle the filter besides using a water bottle?
More filter sponge wrapped around the outflow might work.

I don't plan on doing a fishless cycle (completely) but I am going to let the tank run for a week before getting the fish.
That's somewhat pointless, unless you are actually adding an ammonia source, in which case you may as well go all the way and take the 4-6 weeks you need to do a fishless cycle. Running it for a week just establishes that everything is working, which you'll know within 24 hours anyway.

Lastly, I was going to get a tetra heater just because it's small and inexpensive but if someone had suggestions for a better (adjustable) heater that's still cheap I would love that.
Also can't help you there, but hopefully a US person will be able to. :)

Also any suggestions for low light live plants would be greatly appreciated!:-D
This I can help with! :p Java fern, java moss, anubias, red ludwigia (this stuff is wonderful, I'm managing to grow it with very little light in an unheated jar), ambulia, cabomba, anacharis, pennywort, frogbit, duckweed, wisteria, lacefern and hornwort, to name a few. :)
Avoid semi-aquatics: mondo grass, lucky bamboo, purple waffle, scarlet temple, aluminium, peace lily...anything you aren't sure about, don't buy. :)

PS. This is my first post so sorry if it's in the wrong section.

#3 ·
Thank you Bombalurina!
I thought a 50% weekly water change was enough but I've heard some people say it's needs to be an 80% weekly water change. That sounded a little high to me...
As for letting the tank sit for a week, it's only because I'm not sure if I'll get back to the store until next weekend. It doesn't really have to do with starting a cycle.
Thank you for the plant suggestions too, that really helps!

#4 ·
I have a tetra heater and it works just fine. It keeps the]water at a toasty 78°. I've never had it in a 5 gallon though, so I wouldn't know how well it'd work in a bigger tank. My suggestion? If you get the heater, prewarm the water to 78° and see how well it holds. The heater seems to have an easier time when the water is prewarmed.

#5 ·
I have two 5 gallons and I do about a 40-50% change every week.. but I don't live plants yet but since you are gonna get them you might need a plant substrate if you are planning on getting plants that root in soil I might be wrong about this because I've only done a little research about that.. are you planning on getting driftwood or not?? if you are gonna get DW youbshould get plant substrate to complete the natural look!

#7 ·
Thank you DreamerHorse, I've just heard so many mixed reviews about the tetra heater. Preheating the water is a good idea;-)

jesssan2442 I've never heard of aquatic plants needing a substrate, would gravel be enough to house anubias and java ferns? Would any of the plants Bombalurina listed need special substrate? And no, I didn't plan on using driftwood.

#22 ·
jesssan2442 I've never heard of aquatic plants needing a substrate, would gravel be enough to house anubias and java ferns? Would any of the plants Bombalurina listed need special substrate? And no, I didn't plan on using driftwood.
Anubias and java fern both have the advantage of not even needing substrate - it's easier to simply tie them to something. :) If you do plant them in the gravel, you have to be super careful not to bury the rhizome, or the plant will die (which is why I never plant them because I can never tell if I have buried it or not.

I love java fern. Attached is a picture of my tank, which is absolutely overgrown with the stuff. All of it is either tied to driftwood or growing out of other bits of fern. I do nothing to help it. As you can see, it's super easy. :) There is some anubias in there too, but I suspect it's under the java fern, just like everything else.

Attachments

#9 ·
This is an aqueon filter but it should work for any HOB filter, I dont use the cartridges and just stuff it with foam and I put some at the outflow to slow the water movement some more and then put some tall/bushy plants in front of it.

The sponge will last alot longer then the cartridge and in the long run its ALOT cheaper. If you want carbon, you can get a package of aquaclear carbon and stuff it in there (although you may have to cut the mesh bag open and remove some to make it fit.) Then just reuse the mash bag and replace the carbon every 4 weeks or so. You can buy a tub of carbon for relativly cheap - although I would get the one with bigger chunks of it as oppsed to the finer ground carbon - less of a mess to deal with.

As for heaters, Tetra ones have pretty bad reviews. If you need more variety or cheaper then petshop prices - try ebay and amazon. Top Fin is also supposed to be pretty bad (I have one and no issues but alot of people report they crack in the tank or leach chemicals).

#11 ·
kyle89 when I read your post I thought it said gravel was not a good substrate for most plants :shock: I was so confused...Also in your second post are you talking about the heater or the filter?

Thanks for the picture Tikibirds. I was thinking of ditching the carbon cartridges but I'll atleast use the one that comes with the tank. And I would never buy a top fin heater.

By the way, how do I quote someone?

#12 ·
I have an Aqueon heater in my tank. It's 100 watts, which is kind of over kill for a 10 gallon, but it works and heats it to what it's set to, so it's fine with me. They have a 50 watt one too, at Petsmart, that you could buy. I think it's worth it. It has a lifetime warranty. :)

#13 ·
Click on the first blue button on the bottom of the post that says quote and yes I was talking the tip fin heater. Had it and returned it 2 days later. Aqueon is also another good aquarium supply brand. I I'm looking at a aqueon 10 filter for my tank.

#14 ·
Oh..wow that quote button is obvious. Oops.
Anyway thanks kyle. I think the aqueon heater sounds good, but it'd cost more than the tank...I've heard nothing good about top fin heaters so that's out of the question.

#20 ·
I've got six of these heaters, and every one has worked well, no problems.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Heater-1-ct/10291808

I got the first one back in the very beginning when I didn't know any better, and it always worked well, so I just stuck with the brand. Two of mine have been running for over a year with no issues, so I can vouch for them for at least that long. The only one I've ever managed to kill was one I took out of the tank and forgot it was still plugged in. That one burned out...but I don't believe that can be blamed on the heater. :)

I hope that helps!! Also, if you get the heater at walmart, use it for a bit, and if it stops working, you can always take it back. They've got a very lax return policy, and will take it back even if it's been a few months if you tell them it stopped working. :)

#26 ·
Sorry, no pictures yet...
I had company over the weekend and I need to modify the fish stand a bit so I didn't get a chance to set up the tank.

I do have another question though. I've been thinking about maybe getting a nerite snail for the tank once I find out how agressive my betta is. I have a small space between the hood and filter and was wondering if the snail could escape?

Also, where do you guys prefer for bettas? Petsmart or Petco?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.