Betta Fish Forum banner

aqua culture brand 5 gallon fish tank

5K views 45 replies 7 participants last post by  rockstar26 
#1 ·
alright, so i am spoiling the heck out of my boy... i just ran to wally world and purchased a 5 gallon tank for him instead of the 1.5 gallon that i just put him in yesterday!!

My question though, the filter is an AQUA-Tech 5-15 Power Filter... I'm wondering if the flow from the filter will be to strong and hurt the fish?

#2 ·
No way!

Whoa. I JUST bought and set the SAME THING up. Like... an hour ago. I asked that same question in a thread below. It does seem a little intense. I'm going to dump my fish in there and see how he does and if its obviously too much I'll just... go with out for a while and then get a new one when I can.

#3 ·
ha i just bought mine about an hour ago too LOL... i haven't set it up yet though..... i may do so in a lil bit :)

#4 ·
Quick tip.

Careful when you "pop out" the piece where the filter is supposed to go. Because they use the same hood for different models or whatever, if you got the smallest model of filter like I did, if you pop the WHOLE thing out it will be slightly too large for the filter. You can see there are kind of two spereate pieces to pop out. Just pop out the larger one and leave the smaller one.

Not that it's a big deal, just a small hole in your hood. You might have a larger filter anyway. But, yeah. Start with just one pop out piece and leave the other in unless your filter doesn't fit.

:)

#6 ·
are you already putting yours together? i'm going to get off my butt and put mine together in a few minutes!! i'm excited to decorate the tank LOL

#15 ·
Well, if you are considering the kit, I am finding (upon further observation. haha) that the filter that came with it does appear to be a bit too much for my little betta. He can handle it allright and swim through flow (and sucking area) of it ok, but when it is on, he seems to prefer to just hang out away from the filter more than explore the whole tank.

Otherwise, everything else is still going fine. (again, I still don't have a thermometer and can't vouch for the heater. it is at least functioning, though)

#8 ·
i just set mine up, so far so good.... i purchased the heater that is recommended for the tank as well.... now of only i could figure out if the heater is actually working!!! i have a thermometer yet it doesnt seem to me like the temp is getting warmer... who knows maybe im just impatient LOL

#10 ·
Oh, ok. I misread. You just got the tank. I got the whole kit. So ignore that part about the hood, haha. As you probably already realized.

And I've still only had it for less than 24 hours, but it's been good. The tank is fine, seemingly (I also read some reviews online before I got it) So you should be great if that's all you're getting.

If you're getting the whole kit, well, all of that seems fine too. Obviously, its not the highest quality in the world, but it all works. The filter does seem to maybe be a LITTLE too strong for a Betta, but tolerable, I think.

I'll keep you posted if anything goes wrong with the whole thing. I can't vouch for the heater that it came with yet as I haven't gotten a thermometer.

#11 ·
I purchased the whole kit as well... =) i had to purchase the heater seperate though.... I also then realized after my last posting (when i took out those darn directions!) that the heater has to run for 24 hours to reach the correct temp for the betta....

woohoo, excited! i have a thermometer that suction cups to the inside of the tank, but its aggravating me, so i may just go buy the thermometer sticker kind!!

about to post photos of the tank in a moment too!!

#12 ·
Cosmo's new tank, still need more greenary, to the left is the heater... you think a small plant will be safe near it? The buddha head has holes and stuff like cave.... Can't wait for Cosmo to try it out!

Here's what I got to see when I came home today :)

#14 ·
i haven't even put him in the new tank yet, won't do so probably till tomorrow, currently he's in his 1.5 gallon that i started him in sunday.....

#27 ·
This brand/kit I think is exclusively marketed at WalMart. The one I got even said marketed by walmart somewhere on the box and everything I found at petsmart was significantly more expensive (of course, it's probably higher quality too..)

But, yeah. Just thought I would let you know. :) It cost something like 28 dollars at walmart while the cheapest 5 gallon kit at petco was 40 +.

#17 ·
If you want to ease the filters flow, Stuff the little end that goes into your tank with sponge, Then replace it, You will need to clean the small sponge regularly to keep it clean and the water flowing thru it,
That is what I did for my filters that my bettas are in.. also works great as a fry saver/

Here's a pic, I pulled the sponge out just a tad so you could see what I was referring too..

Bicycle handlebar Muffler

#20 ·
If you want to ease the filters flow, Stuff the little end that goes into your tank with sponge, Then replace it, You will need to clean the small sponge regularly to keep it clean and the water flowing thru it,
That is what I did for my filters that my bettas are in.. also works great as a fry saver/

Here's a pic, I pulled the sponge out just a tad so you could see what I was referring too..

View attachment 1686
Absolutely genius. Thanks for the tip. Is there a special kind of sponge that is best to use? I might just scrap the filter thing all together after reading all the cons listed by you guys, but if I don't, I'll definitely do the sponge trick. Thanks!

#18 ·
not sure about everyone elses target stores, but mine only seems to carry a couple brands of fish food and thats it!

#19 ·
where do you get this "sponge"?

#21 ·
I bought mine at a fish store, or Walmart I believe has some, White or black, color doesn't matter as long as it's fish safe. Just snip off the size you need and use a tooth pick to gently push it in the filter cap

#22 ·
thanks for the suggestion chicklet :)

i went out to petco today to purchase the sponge, i almost came home with another betta!! i may go back in the next few days and look into another one... they're addictive!

i just got cosmo set up in his new 5 gallon tank... i redid his tank decoration yet again LOL....

#23 ·
Cosmo is now in his tank, I put in the sponge like you suggested, I'm not sure if it still seems to strong or not? However Cosmo seems to be swimming near it and almost as if he's trying to fight it? Is this ok or do you think it's to strong still? Should I "x" out the filter and go buy one of those bubble stones? If I do that I still need a pump correct? Is there any specific brand I should look for? I'm starting to stress out thinking he's going to get hurt : (

Also he seems to just kinda of chill out by the heater.. If his fins touch it will it hurt him?

#24 · (Edited)
The filter is always a good idea for anything 5 gallons and upwards.

A low water level will also make a stronger out pouring current,
Make sure the tank is topped off with water as high as possible,

Don't worry about the heater burning him, Its safe,
He might be feeling a tad chilly and likes the extra heat the closeness provides

#25 ·

So should I fill it up to the black rim of the top of the tank?

#26 · (Edited)
Looks pretty high, If your afraid the current is still to strong you can try stuffing extra sponge in the the actually filter hanging on the back of the tank,
I keep extra sponges stuffed in mine for future tanks, It may also aid in slowing the flow more,

The sponge you put in the nozzle end was stuffed full? Needs to be stuffed in there fairly tight Covering all the hole openings...
That in itself should have slowed to flow down drastically..

Took all mine from a killer current to this
Water Tree Glass Plant Transparent material

#28 ·
Ok, so I stuffed the tip of the filter as well as the back and i honestly dont think it's slowed anything down... ugh I'm so lost...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.