Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta Newbie - Advice needed

3K views 33 replies 9 participants last post by  ANHEL123 
#1 ·
Hello! I am so excited to be part of the community. I just ordered a tank, a small heater, anda betta leaf hammock and I should have everything by Saturday.

I am going to find my forever fish friend on Saturday and pick up anything else needed. I guess a small thermometer and water conditioner. What else would you recommend?

Also, I am interested in a live plant. The tank is two gallons and has an LED light. I am a little freaked out by possible bugs and parasites that could come with it though....

Is there anything else that I should know? How should I select a fish? If you could go back and talk to yourself when you were just getting into the betta hobby, what would you say?

#2 ·
Live plants are the best, I've never had a problem with parasites or bugs. Although silk works well too. Any decorations you may get need to pass the pantyhose test - take a pair of pantyhose and rub it all over the decoration, if it snags even a tiny bit, it's too rough for your Betta.
I strongly recommend an in tank thermometer because as I've learned from experience, the ones you stick on the outside of the tank are extremely unreliable (I have one right next to an internal thermometer at this very moment the stick on one reads 72 while the internal one reads 76 - which is what that tank's heater is set at).
Also Bettas LOVE hiding places, so make sure you have lots and lots of places for him/her to hide.

#4 ·
For 2 gall i would not recommend the filter.
When you go to the store try to check your betta for any visual sign of the disease.
When you bring new betta home try to acclimate him to your water source for about 2 hrs in case the water is a lot of different than in the store.
I would keep betta in the tank without gravel and decorations first in case he might be sick and you don't want to end up with disinfection. Its easy to disinfect the tank but now easy to disinfect the gravel and decor.
Yes when you buy live plants make sure they don't cell them from the tank where they have fish. Live plants can carry ich.
And for 2 gall i would really not recommend filter. For 2 gall i would do 2-50% and 1-100 water changes. I personally do full water changes only for my 2.5 gall and for 5 gall.
Read that

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=142066&highlight=betta+fish+check+list

Best food

http://www.petco.com/product/116563...ne-_-1483889&gclid=CIzknYST_LkCFctQOgodtV0AVg

http://www.bigalspets.com/betta-formula-1-mm-semi-floating-pellets-50-g.html

Do you need instructions on acclimation?

Also see the video in my post #10 of this link

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?p=2036738

#5 ·
Thank you so much! I took a picture of the checklist on that thread. Also watching the video. I will buy the food at petco.

As far as acclimation goes, I am planning on not putting anything in the tank in case he is sick, like you said. I have read he needs to acclimate to the water temp. I have done that with other fish in bags, but not sure what to do with him in a cup.

#6 ·
I also had only acclimated fish in bags, not cups.
You could move him from the cup to the bag...that is an option.

We put our new Betta into our tank last Sunday - not even a week yet!
He was in a cup....here is what I did...

Floated cup in tank for 20 minutes (trying to warm him up because I could tell that cup water was cooler than my tank).
After that - I took out a little cup water, and put in a little tank water - all this while leaving the cup floating in the tank.
First time I did that I gave him about 10 minutes with the 'new' bit of water.
Then I took out some cup water and added that amount of tank water back into the cup....I repeated this several times and would let him hang out at least 5 minutes between taking out/adding in.
Every time I'd take out his cup water - I'd put it down the sink.
**I used new never-used, hot-water rinsed Solo cups for this process. One Solo cup was for dipping tank water, one for dipping out the old cup water.

The whole process - all the time with the cup floating in the tank - took about an hour.

We were putting him into a 5 gallon filtered tank with a heater - brand new set up.

When I cut him loose into the tank I also added half of the container of Dr Tim's One & Only (shout out to Hallyx for that suggestion - Dr Tims is my new favorite product).

So far - so good. All is well and daily water test results show everything at zero. Sweet.
Fish seems happy, eating well...acting fine...

I had the tank up and running a little over 24 hours when we brought the fish home too - make sure you do that so you know your heater is ok and all that.
I use Prime as my water conditioner.
I also have a thermometer in the tank - the kind that sinks and you just shove it into some gravel.
I got the Prime, heater, Dr Tims and some other stuff from Foster & Smith - I had enough for free shipping - they even put the Dr Tim's in cold packs - even with the free shipping.

Good luck!

#7 ·
Exactly you can do it in a bag, or the way SalsaMom suggested .

Make sure you check the betta hammock it might contain a thin wire down the stem of the plant which can rust,and pollute your water. You can easily fix this problem by pulling the wire out before placing it in the tank. :) But i think they have new version of the betta hammock which don't have this wire any more.

Definitely check the heater in a bucket of the water for at least 24 hrs to make sure it not defective and don't leach anything in to the water. There were a few problems before that happened to a few people.

And let us know about new betta!

#9 ·
Dr Tim's One & Only is a beneficial bacteria starter.
I got a bottle from Foster & Smith and used half of it in the 5 gallon we set up just over a week ago.
So far the new Betta is happy in there and my ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all staying at zero during my daily water tests - which is great.

I put half the bottle in at the same time I added the new fish.
Made the water cloudy for about an hour and after that it was fine.

I used it in an attempt to jump start the cycle so to speak and hopefully avoid lots of water changes the first few weeks, while reducing stress due to water quality for the fish.

I still test daily (this is day 8 of the fish being in there) - but so far it's accomplished my goal and made the Betta tank easier for me and healthier for the fish too.

#10 ·
If you not going to cycle your tank you don't need to use beneficial bacteria though. Did you decided if you want to cycle your tank?
Also take the sample of your tap water to the pet store to check for the ammonia. A lot of people seems to have this problem. The store will do it for you for free. And ask them for the actual reading too, instead of them telling that water is fine. Also if there is ammonia in your tap water buy water conditioner Prime. It's the best recommended if you have any problem with your water.

#13 ·
My tank has a filter. I am not opposed to cycling the water but I am not sure what it is. I have read about it but it confuses me.
I don't think you mentioned the size of your tank... some people say it's too difficult to maintain a cycle in a tank smaller than 5 gallons.
Cycling confused me too until I actually did it and understood it. Basically, when your tank is running, your fish waste (ammonia) needs to be turned into something less harmful. So beneficial bacteria in your tank will eat up the ammonia. It will live mostly in your filter media but also on the surfaces of your tank (glass, gravel, plants). So in order to build up the beneficial bacteria, you need to give it food, which is ammonia. You can cycle with your fish in it using your fish's waste as the food for the bacteria, or you can do it fishless and use straight ammonia. There are bottles of beneficial bacteria that you can buy to jump-start your cycle (the one-and-done stuff others were talking about). When I cycled my 5 gallon tank I cycled it with my fish in it- I just checked the ammonia levels every day and when the ammonia levels got up to about .25, I did a 50% water change. So if you cycle you definitely need a test kit. So when you cycle you can do a lot less water changes (like 25% once a week instead of two or three a week depending on your tank size).
If you ever set up another tank, you can use the filter or filter media from your cycled tank in your new tank and you will have an almost instant cycle.

#14 ·
Thank you for the clarification on cycling. My tank is 3 gallons so I think it's too small to do that. But I am planning on getting a bigger tank at some point and I will look into that. Thank you for the info about the shrimp as well. I will read the thread.

I have Stewart in the tank (globe style tank) with the heater only. I am going to make sure he is healthy before adding everything else. Do any of you guys keep plants?? I am looking for low light fully submersible plants if you guys have any recommendations.

#15 ·
Do any of you guys keep plants?? I am looking for low light fully submersible plants if you guys have any recommendations.
Yes, I have a lot of plants in my 55 gallon tank. Some low-medium light plants that I've done okay with are hornwort (floating plant), green myrio (floating or planted plant), anubias, and Amazon sword. I've never had java fern, but people say that it is a good low-light plant. I think the rest of the plants I have are medium-light plants.

#16 ·
I wanted to update you all on my tank and fish :)

This is Stewart and he is very happy in his new tank. I planted amazon sword plants and added a moss ball. The temp has been around 80-82. He loves his betta hammock!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/courrttanne/10319747245/
I did have a shrimp (Rover) but today I found him dead. I'm so sad.

Other than Rover, everything is going well so far. I am scared I am missing something or doing something wrong. I hope it continues to go well..

#17 ·
Wow your betta is so gorgeous!!! Sorry about shrimp:(
I would do a water change since you had a dead shrimp. Did you just get him recently? I am wondering if he was sick. Hopefully nothing contagious that he can give to your betta.
Just next time if you put any live creature in the tank quarantine it to make sure it's not sick.

#19 ·
Beautiful betta. He looks a lot like my Big Bob. It's hard to believe that these guys have personalities but they really do. Little Bob is very timid but Big Bob is curious and eats off my finger.
About the names: my first betta I named Bob. When I picked up my second one my 3 year old grandson was with me and I asked him what we should name him, and he said Big Bob. I told him I already had a Bob and he said that we could call him Little Bob. That's what the kids call them so I guess I'm stuck with it. Sorry Bruce, you are now Big Bob instead.

#22 ·
You guys are awesome! Love the names and the story behind them galtgirl!

I did have the shrimp seperated for a while, but next time I guys I will wait longer? I am actually thinking he wasn't sick, because he showed no signs. I am worried that Stewart killed him. I will try with the shrimp one more time to see if Stewart is a shrimp murderer (lol).

I did a water change and everything is going well so far. The temp is staying between 80-82--my bowl heater is perfect. When I was growing up our bettas did not get a heater because we didn't know any better. But I'm glad Stewart has one.

The water is testing pretty well. The nitrates are at zero, which is good right? The pH was a little high at 7.5, so I put in a touch more water conditioner. The plants seem to be doing okay, except I can't keep the all of the roots under in the sand. The moss ball looks happy too.

Do you guys have moss balls? It helps with waste correct?

And thank you hollyk. Just a nervous new betta mom. You guys are all so great. Thank you for all o your help!

#24 ·
Oh man. I read 79-82 is optimal and prevents diseases? It made sense to me because our water used to stay below 78 when we kept betas before and they kept getting sick an dying.

Blahhh. There is so much info out there?

Its bumped down to 79 now, and since its getting colder it probably will not go over 80 anymore

#25 ·
good:) I don't think that your bettas died because of the temperature. 78* is good temperature , even 76* is perfect. Its many different opinion on that though. I am talking from my personal experience and from reading many post on this forum:) But you know bettas just like any other animals or human can get sick no matter how right /good care you give them.

#26 ·
So Stewart is doing well! He is eating and swimming around and enjoying the tank.

I did notice a possible spot on his tail. Its in about the middle of his tail, and just looks like kind of grey and white. Its so small I have to really look at it. I read all the diseases betas can get in the forum and it doesn't match any of the descriptions. Maybe it is nothing? He isn't showing any symptoms... maybe I am paranoid...

#27 ·
can you post close picture of it?
Just keep close eye on it and make sure its not getting bigger or fuzzy, fluffy . He still in 3 gall tank? Make sure you rinse the filter and check the water parameters. For 3 gall you need to do 2-50% weekly water changes with the gravel vacuum.

#28 ·
I also suggest Anubia for a plant. They are fairly slow growing so they won't overcrowd your tank either, and Betta (especially males with heavy finnage) love resting on top of the leaves.

I bought some live food for mine, black worms (as treats), and they absolutely loved it. Black worms are fairly easy to keep too. You just leave them in a container with some water inside your fridge, no need to feed. Mine are still alive after 2-3 weeks now. They are mislabeled as "blood worms" at some stores.

My local fish store suggested BettaPrime, which inhibits ammonia for a non-cycled tank. That way when we're a little behind on water changes it won't harm the fish too much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.