Betta Fish Forum banner

I've got a tail biter. GAH.

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  metalbetta 
#1 ·
It's Cameron.

His fins were growing back so nicely too! Grr. He took a chunk out of his caudal fin and now it's all wirey and split. It's not terrible, but it doesn't look good.

I took his plants out for the time being to give him room to swim and heal, and I'll be making a pet store run at some point tomorrow to grab the salt to prevent infection and all that jazz...

Anything else I can do to prevent this in the future? (I never have ANY problems with the other three, it's just this guy! FRUSTRATED.:demented:)

#2 ·
Tail biters can be a challenge.....most common causes IMO/E-are pain, usually from poor water quality namely ammonia and injury, boredom and stress.
Sometimes once they start it becomes a habit and all you can do it prevent secondary infections with lots of clean dechlorinated water.

#3 ·
Well I keep up with his water changes, so I'm hoping poor water qual is not the issue...
but I AM planning on getting him a larger tank within the next few weeks because he does have a bit of a glass surfing problem as well. Boredom?
Thanks a lot!

#4 ·
Terence is a tail biter. He gets stressed easitly and cn't be near any other bettas for too long or he will chomp on his tail. Can Cameron see any of your other bettas?

#5 ·
Is he the one that does the right angles in his one gallon?

If he is, that swimming habbit was probably a sign of stress. And since that is not working for him, he is starting to show his stress by biting his tail. I think he needs a bigger space to swim in with more decorations, possibly, in that space to keep him occupied.

#6 ·
I recently switched around Winston and Cameron's places to see if that would curb the glass surfing. It hasn't. But Nina's tank is nearby his and that could easily be the case. I think I'll switch them back. And as I said, once I have the room/can afford it, (within the next few weeks), he will have a larger tank.

Thanks guys, usually I don't have problems with my guys, but when I do you all always help me out. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.