Betta Fish Forum banner

Solution to ALL divider issues!

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  BettaMommy531rip 
#1 ·
What you do is buy two layers of mesh or plexiglass or acrylic, whatever you want to use as your dividers. Then put them in with a bit of space in between them. Just big enough for a piece of paper to slide in. Then choose a piece of paper (it can be colored, it can have a picture on it, anything you want really) and laminate it, so it doesn't get soaked. You can do this by covering it with clear packing tape, or actually laminating it. Then slide the piece of paper between your two "slices" of divider. That way you can give them a little flare time (great for pictures), then just slide the paper back in and give them chill time. It is great for bettas who constantly flare through the divider and tire themselves out! It also provides a way for you to spruce up your tank with a cute picture or color pop in the divider. This way you don't have to buy clings specially made for the back of an aquarium! I made this up myself!:-D Feel free to ask questions or show pictures of this idea in your tank if you use it!

#3 ·
If you planned to filter the tank you might want to use two very small filters, one on each side, but I learned that a heater will heat the tank evenly all over despite a snug acrylic divider. So that shouldn't be a problem. I suggest always setting this up and monitoring it for a day or two before actually adding fish just to make sure everything is working properly. Otherwise I love the laminated paper idea! I got darker acrylic to tint them from seeing each other but now I wish I had just gotten clear and done this as I found out after that the darker surface shows more reflection. So far Glaedr doesn't care tho :/ we'll see how it progresses.

#8 ·
In my 10g tanks, I have it divided 3 ways with 2 small filters on the end spots and a heater in the middle. I need the water flow to keep even temps in my tanks. That's all I was saying really, I can't really see even water and heat distribution with a big hunk of laminated paper in the middle of the mesh.

#5 ·
I would normally just buy a normal divider, but I ended up liking this better, because instead of buying dark acrylic or something you can add a cute pop of color or picture to the tank which I think serves as a nice decoration as well as a nice divider. :)

#7 ·
Ur welcome! Anyone feel free to use my idea!

#9 ·
I wasn't trying to discredit what you said. Merely adding that I have a ten gal divided with solid acrylic fit snugly and no moving water and the temp is even all over the tank with the heater I'm using. Maybe different heaters work differently, but mine is keeping a steady temp in every corner. I have several thermometers set up in different spots on both sides and they are all reading the exact same temps. That's all.

#11 ·
While a cute ideal, mechanically I wouldn't do it. You loose alot of the benefits of a typical divided tank & then you loose some of having separate tanks as well. Simply put a divider should allow water to flow freely or should not allow any water to pass through at all. This is just going to restrict the water flow negating the stability advantages of a divided tank. Also would require separate filtration & depending on the size tank different heat as well. But because it is not completely water tight then it will not stop disease or other issues from traveling across the tank.

Also as was pointed out above. There is no real problem letting them see each other. I have 6 males that were at one time or another able to see there neighbor & they all flare on occasion for a few minutes, but then stop. I have not had any of them that just flared non stop.

#12 ·
While a cute ideal, mechanically I wouldn't do it. You loose alot of the benefits of a typical divided tank & then you loose some of having separate tanks as well. Simply put a divider should allow water to flow freely or should not allow any water to pass through at all. This is just going to restrict the water flow negating the stability advantages of a divided tank. Also would require separate filtration & depending on the size tank different heat as well. But because it is not completely water tight then it will not stop disease or other issues from traveling across the tank.

Also as was pointed out above. There is no real problem letting them see each other. I have 6 males that were at one time or another able to see there neighbor & they all flare on occasion for a few minutes, but then stop. I have not had any of them that just flared non stop.
I guess you're right, but I have the ability to do it, so I really want to try it out. I would monitor the temp. on each side before I put them in to make sure. I'm not trying to prevent disease because the person I plan to order from has quality healthy fish. Also I am planning to put the fish in 1.5 gallon tanks before I put them in the big tank, just to be safe, also so that I can make sure the tank is doing fine. You don't have to try it, but I really would like to see. As long as people can make it happen I don't see what the issue is. But I see your point of view as well, and I guess it just depends on the fish as well as the person. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.