Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2014, 03:57 PM   #721 
hrutan

Yowch, that's quite a mess to clean up.
hrutan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #722 
logisticsguy

George the goldfish gets brain surgery. I learned a couple things to assist me in doing my own surgeries.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/a/2499...sick-goldfish/
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #723 
logisticsguy

The video made me aware of mistakes Ive made when doing my own Dr. Boris Von Quack backyard fish operations. 1. Anesthetics 2. Flowing tank water via tube through mouth and over gills properly. Closing the wound, very difficult I need smaller closing tools and/or skin/scale glue.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:31 PM   #724 
logisticsguy

A few months ago there was some debate as to whether or not fish felt pain or not. If they don't feel pain why would they need anesthetics for surgery? Imho they do certainly feel pain, maybe differently than we do but they do. That debate should be over because all the evidence Ive seen suggests fish indeed do feel pain.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #725 
Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
A few months ago there was some debate as to whether or not fish felt pain or not. If they don't feel pain why would they need anesthetics for surgery? Imho they do certainly feel pain, maybe differently than we do but they do. That debate should be over because all the evidence Ive seen suggests fish indeed do feel pain.
No doubt in my mind that they feel pain, the science is actually catching up and debunking that myth along with the one with lobsters and so on.

On a side note you can set up like a drop acclumating tube to use during fish surgery just yeah not a drop and slow flow if you do not have someone to assist if you have someone to assist a turkey baster or medicine dropper will work. Luckily the few times I have had to do it it was always stuff that could be done quickly I can't imagine doing a surgery for an hour. I wonder if the medical grade superglue the "liquid stitch" would work for closing up wounds
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #726 
logisticsguy

Yes the medical grade liquid stitch would be the way to go I think Stone. If one of my fish gets a brain tumor I don't like their chances of survival with me at the controls. Betta are even smaller so anything more than an external growth or stomach tumor would be way beyond me. We had an egg impacted female turn out ok here after a minor operation so that was lucky on her part. Ive had really healthy fish for awhile so that's been a blessing (knocks on wood).

Next week I will have a big cheap sale on betta. Half moons, male female and baby. All will carry giant gene but who knows how big they will get. Lots of variety and I can ship anywhere in Canada.

I like how the Singapore show has a class just for Giants. I hope the IBC shows in USA and Canada start doing this as well. Totally biased campaigning for class E.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:58 AM   #727 
Stone

Giants over there seem to be a bigger deal than over here, well other than when they first arrived and were winning a lot of the show, I agree they need their own class. I have seen a few stunners on AB in the past few weeks and at the betta shop
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote