Betta Fish Forum banner

can you breed vt wiht ct

3K views 36 replies 8 participants last post by  rb500 
#1 ·
i just bought an amazing ct female and i think she would be perfect to breedwitha one of my vt's is that possible? what would the turn out be?

#2 · (Edited)
Well first we have to look at the genes of both tail types.

Veil tail, is a dominant gene meaning if you cross it to lets say a halfmoon all the fry would come out to be veil tail (but may carry the halfmoon gene, key word:maybe).

Crowtail, is also a dominant gene just like above your gonna get all crowntail fry.

So to rephrase the question: What would crossing two dominant genes look like, and effect the gene pool?

#3 ·
lol, so it is possible and i am i right in thinking you dont advise it?

#4 ·
No I think it would be an interesting combonation and think you should try it. I'm just trying to figure out what mixing two dominant genes will do. Well spawn them and lets find out ;P

#6 ·
Well I'd get to it! Your last spawn wanted to kill each other (but didn't, thank god) so you have an empty spawning tank just saying "spawn, spawn, spawn!!!" ;P

#7 ·
yep today im setting up the spawing tank and gonna get to it. I am sooooo excited!!!!

#11 ·
Yes, I am interested in genes and punit squares and all that, I have always wondered what crossing two dominents would do.

#12 ·
well im planning on doing it if my boy will ever build a nest. hes got some bubbles lining the tank but not a nest

#13 · (Edited)
Ok, good luck!
And i did some research, and if you combine two dominent traits, the fry will show a mixture of the two, or display signs of both. If both of your fish are pure, (meaning they have two dominent traits in their genotype) Then all the fry wil be like this. If one has a recessive gene, then 50% will still be this way, while the other 50% carry on that trait. If both parents have the same recessive trait, then 25% of the fry will have and display that recessive trait. (Like if both parents have a recessive halfmoon, then 25% will be halfmoon)So if you decide to breed two of the 'trait carriers' together, then 25% of their fry will show this. If each parent has a recessive trait, but they are different, then 25% will display a mixture of both recessive traits.

I know it is confusing lol. I wish I could draw out some punnet squares to make it easier.

#14 ·
Any luck with thebreeding?

#15 ·
he is taking forreeevveerr building a new nest. its bearly the size of like a quarter now. so probably in like 3 -4 more days he will ahve a good size. but hopefully a lot sooner

#18 ·
You can release her now, as long as he has a good head start on his nest :)

#19 ·
oh fantastic im gonna go do that right this second. its double since last time i posted any ways :D

#21 ·
im not sure but i think my male is extremely agressive and i think i may give my girls to good of hiding spots. but she is soooo ready, lol and now shes helping build the nest :D

#23 ·
im really really hoping ive got some great pics already

#24 ·
so shes been in with him for almost two hours now and still no spawn shes not torn up either. and the nest has grown alot. about how long does it on average take for them to spawn?

#25 ·
Anywhere from an hour to a week. Within 48 hours is the usual amount of time :)

#27 ·
There's a name for a HM CT mix but not a VT CT mix.

#30 ·
No a combtail is a crowntail with shorter fringes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.