Betta Fish Forum banner

Importing bacteria

472 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ao 
#1 ·
I'm sorry for the crappy title, I couldn't think of anything else to call it.

I have a fully cycled 3 gallon tank. Yay! :)
I have a no where close to be cycled 5.5 gallon tank. Boooo! :(

I was to move some bacteria from my 3 into my 5.5 to kinda help things along. I have heard pieces of filter, gravel, decorations, etc but pieces of filter work the best, which is what I would like to use since that's where all the good stuff is.

How would I do this with a regular filter?

And by regular I mean a Tetra Whisper (I think it's the 3i, since it's a 3 gallon tank...It just came with the tank when I got it). The filter cartridge is just your regular cartridge, full of what I'm assuming is carbon? How would I move a chunk of filter from the 3 gallon to the 5.5 without making a giant mess, and potentially making my tank harmful for my fish.

Or would it be easier to just get some gravel in a lingerie bag and put it under the filter in my 5.5?

I think that all made sense, sorry if it didn't. I'm just a scatter brain tonight :)

Thanks!
Lizzy

See less See more
#4 ·
Oh, okay.

I use a Fluval filter in the 5 gallon, so I'll just cut a chunk off of it and put it underneath the filter in the 3. Thanks :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.