Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta Entertainment

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  morla 
#1 ·
Hi! I have always wondered this, but what do bettas do to keep thereselves busy?

#6 ·
Aden has two big shrimps and a snail to amuse him, plus a little jungle of plants. I also got him one o fthose zoomed betta logs-- someone tore the packing on one trying to get a loot at it and it was discounted so :p He loves it.

He also loves to invesitage dry erase marks on his tank (I bought a dry erase marker to mark down the next water change date on the tank it's self, or write myself reminders.) He's a lot more interested in it than I expected. xD

#8 ·
For a 2 gallon I'd say go for a ghost shrimp, much lighter bioload. I have to warn you, I started out with several ghosts, and only the way who were about as bit as Aden survived-- simply because he couldn't bite them in half, I think. So if you get a shrimp, try to get one that's big enough for it to be hard for you fish to fit it into it's mouth.

#9 ·
Has anyone ever heard of people putting those little hard plastic balls in thier betta tanks? I have, I wonder if they actually mess with it. It's supposed to give them something to touch and move around on the top of the water I guess.

#10 ·
On the topic of betta toys I have a plastic floating lily pad (the base is plastic, the actual plant itself is silk I believe) that I push around with my finger sometimes; Kaze will watch it move and follow it around. Quite sweet.

I also had an outbreak of copepods (aquatic microfauna) and Kaze hunts those through the gravel during the day, as well as randomly pecking at the front of the tank or flaring at me if I press my finger to the glass.

#11 ·
They love chasing lasers and rub off markers. Mine loved bubble nests so much he built one overnight instead of sleeping.

#13 ·
It was completely accidental; they hitch hiked in from one of the plants I nabbed from our downstairs aquarium. They were extremely numerous and quite bothersome at first but now that their numbers have naturally decreased I don't mind them so much.

#15 ·
I have both MTS and ramshorn snails in with my guys. I just threw a few ramshorns in when I got a diatom bloom. They reproduced and now I see them once in a while. I have MTS (Malasyian Trumpet Snails) to aerate the substrate as my tanks are planted and I don't like disturbing the substrate. But my betta tanks are divided 10 gals. Snails have a heavier bioload than most people imagine, so they shouldn't be added to anything smaller than a 5 gal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.