Betta Fish Forum banner

help sushi :(

815 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
I don't post much, more frequently lurk and have learned a lot. I've had little sushi for about 7 months now and she has done great--very happy little fish. She is in 2 gallon and all specs were ok, even though her water was a lil dirty (it was time for her weekly full change-don't worry i also do partial changes in additition to full change...) Tonight I went to do a water change and placed her in the same vase which i use as a temporary tank while I fully clean the real tank.

As soon as I put her in there she sank to the bottom, all fins clamped up and she was laying on her side and barely moving/breathing. she would struggle to the top (looked like convulsions) and gasp air.

I usually let her new water sit for a bit with the condition so the temperature could even out and the condition had some time to work (the only other time I had an issue was when the temp was slightly off and then she struggled. since then I have been very careful about making sure temp was the same and reintroducing her slowly) but tonight she appeared to be dying and rather quickly in the temp tank.

So I've moved her back to the normal now clean tank and she is doing better, but very slightly. her fins are unclamped for starters but she is still far from normal. she stays at the tip of the tank, but moves slightly. still gasps more than she normally does for air. Alternatively she is at the very bottom and when i freak out as she hasn't been up for air in too long and guide her up with the assistance of a net she still twitches/convulses.

What is going on??? can anyone help me save sushi? :( any help would be so greatly appreciated. I love my little fishy and hate seeing her in pain!

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, I did add conditioner. she seems to be doing better with each minute and now is sticking to the top of her tank but no longer appears to be struggling/gasping. I'm hoping she will be ok but not outta the woods yet.

the water in the temp tank which made her sick was the same water she had been in the past couple days. When i do the big change, I usually scoop some of the water from her tank into the vase, and then slowly reintroduce her to new changed water.....but now that i think of it--is is kinda cold here and the vase is more susceptible to that than her tank is...

thank you for answering and for the forum--it is a great resource.

#4 ·
I hope I was able to help. I've had a problem before changing water. Not long ago, I put one of mine back in his tank and he went straight to the bottom and laid there like he was dying. It turned out that the water was cold. I now use warm tap water or room temperature water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.