Betta Fish Forum banner

At my wits end... what am I doing wrong?

640 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Pataflafla 
#1 ·
my HM has fin rot. :( i've tried everything i can think of - changed tanks from 1 to 2.5 gal, used aq salt, used maracyn 1&2, used tetracycline, used jungle fungus clear - its been 3 months. what am i doing wrong? i've read so many forum & online posts on fin rot i feel like my eyes are crossing! its slow rot, just steadily nibbling away on him.

i'm so frustrated and dont know what else to do. by all accounts this should be something simple to fix... but 3 months... i almost want to cry. i even got a plant that matches his color! he can't die!

2.5 gallon aqueon minibow tank, attached filter, 2 silk plants, half marble substrate, small heater, temp ~77 deg. F, pellets w/ occasional frozen bloodworm. 25% and 50% water changes alternating every other day. he swims around, eats and poops normally. can anybody offer any advice, please??

meet little Stir, my first real pet ever.

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you sure its not just his fin color? His fins look fine to me. But someone with more experience with fin rot should chime in. Just saying he looks normal to me.

#3 ·
its not so much the coloring that bothers me (other than as an indication of rot), its the tears and rip. those little tears weren't there 3 months ago - the edge was pretty much smooth. then one appeared, and little v-shaped clear areas along the tip, and now there are all this little tears (see last picture)!

#6 ·
To me he looks perfectly healthy.

If he's flaring a lot, he might be ripping his tail. It's common with bettas that have a lot of webbing between their rays (More so in veils and halfmoons). Just try and get him to calm down on the flaring, keep the water clean, and feed a high protein diet for fin regrowth.

If you have any plastic plants in with him, run a pantyhose over them. If it snags, then it'll rip fins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.