Betta Fish Forum banner

"Monster" Marble HMPK

4K views 44 replies 14 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
My marble HMPK pair spawned this afternoon :)

I got the pair from Monroe who I believe originally imported the pair from thailand. They were very easy breeders :)

The eggs should hopefully hatch Wednesday. Fingers crossed for a big spawn.

Here's a couple pics I borrowed from Monroe since I don't have any good ones of the pair myself. These pics don't do them justice, they are VERY nice looking fish so I should have a good looking batch of kids here in a few weeks :)

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I'm excited to see what I get. I tried a marble HM spawn before but it was my first time out and I lost all the fry to velvet I think.

I was so happy with how well the pair did. I put them in the spawning tank yesterday morning. The female let HERSELF out of the breeder net thing sometime yesterday evening but since they were being cool I just left them. Then by 12pm today they were spawning.

When I got home tonight they had obviously finished so I got the female out. She has a few nips and tears but nothing major, a week or two in her jar and then she'll be good to go back into the sorority.

Also, this is my FIRST short fin spawn :-D I'm curious to see how they grow/develop compared to longfins.

#8 ·
I just got home. The eggs are bunched up in a nice tight ball. They look pretty good IMO. Big Boy (which is what I've been calling the male) is doing an excellent job caring for them.

It may be a little while longer before they hatch. My heater was heating the tank too hot so I unplugged it. I'd planned to fiddle with it but they spawned before I had the chance and right now I don't want to upset the male. The tank is holding at 78* room temperature so hopefully they hatch in the next 24-48 hours.

I'll try to get some more pictures and upload them. It might not be until friday that I have time to upload them. I'm in class and working and Bella's surgery is this Thursday so I've got a lot on my plate and little time for uploading pics right now.

#10 ·
EEEK! This pair spawned?!?! OH EM GEE! I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.... Probably a little TOO excited.... B:

#11 ·
LOL Thanks Fuulie I'm excited about this pair too. I'm hoping to maybe even get a couple fish worthy of showing... that is, if I can afford to show :(

Bella is my dog. She has a tumor that is being removed on Thursday and we are hoping it turns out to be benign.

#12 ·
I wish I could say I'd buy one of the leftovers, but I'm in way over my head as it is trying to keep up with Robert and all my work and classes. :c

I'm sure you'll get some spectacular fish. Look at the parents. They're just so pretty. ;u;

#16 ·
Update: Hatch Day :)

When I checked on the eggs this morning before leaving for class I saw one fry had already hatched and was hanging from the nest. I expect more should be hatched when I get home.

#18 ·
They're completely hatched. Seems like a small brood but that's ok since this was their first time.. I expected some duds even though there were a lot of eggs. I do plan to recondition the pair and spawn again as soon as the male is out of the tank. I'll also be spawning my marble pair I got from Karen so I'll have long and short fins.

#20 ·
I had a scare last night. I went to check on the kids and couldn't find any. I looked and looked. I was so upset because I thought Big boy had eaten them.

But I got out a better flashlight and finally I found them (right in front of my nose lol). I don't have a light on this tank so it's hard to see already and it's a weird angle to get a look into the nest but they're there and there's a good bunch of them.

I'm going to upload some pictures today and try to get some decent shots of the wigglers but no promises.

#22 ·
PIC SPAM***

The fry are free swimming now. I removed the male. He was being a good daddy but I didn't want to risk him snacking on the fry. These suckers are BIG. Normally mine aren't this size until they're about 7 days old. Tonight they're not getting fed and tomorrow they're being fed VE while I set up my brine shrimp hatchery. Due to moving my MW, BW, and WW are all in need of some TLC so I'm trying out just going straight to BBS.

Pics...

Daddy and Kids...

#25 ·
Thanks :) I love his silver eyes. They're so striking in person against his black face. Normally I wouldn't breed for that kind of thing but I really would love it if some of the fry got those eyes.

The female is really gorgeous too. That's not the best pic of her. Eventually I'll have time to snap some photos of the big kids.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.