Betta Fish Forum banner

Split tank with male/ female

768 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  FishyFriend1 
#1 ·
I have a ten gallon which I was gonna keep for just my male, but I also have a female which was supposed to go in a sorority...but now it can't happen. Is it okay to get a tank divider and keep them in the same 10 gallon tank? (heated, filtered, cycled, planted)

I've read something about there being hormones in the water and the female will be filled with eggs too often. Is this true? Is it okay for me to put them in the same tank together?

#2 ·
The female WILL want to see the male because of the hormones. They might try so desperatly that one of them will make it past the divider and then... eggs.

I personally wouldn't put the two together. But I guess if you make the divider really high and secure then it might work...

#3 ·
I was going to buy either the Top Fin or Penn Plax divider and keep the water level below the top and try to cover up the sides where they might see each other with plants. I mean if it's going to be harmful I don't want to do it...but if it's just a matter of getting to one another I would hope this divider could withstand the fish nudging it once in a while.

#4 ·
As long as she can't get to him it's fine. You'll get a lot of nests though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.