Betta Fish Forum banner

Help with first ever tankmates?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  miss c 
#1 ·
Hello!
So I've had my male betta in a 10g tank for about a month now... and was wondering if I could add any other fish? I heard cory catfish were great, and I'd love to have them... How many could I put in a 10g tank without it being horribly overcrowded (i know they're shoaling fish)..

some info about the tank:
10 gallon
cycled
power filter, heater, silk plants
sand bottom
5-6 bulbs that now have 4 inch sprouts on them...

also, what kind of cory catfish should I get?

#2 ·
You can probably fit in 3-4 cories in there. I hear that panda cories and dwarf cories are more sensitive to water quality. You should go with any of the other cories. Bronze cories, julii, albinos, peppered. I believe bronze are one of the more hardier type.

#4 ·
about 3in

#5 · (Edited)
I would go with pygmy cories--as long as you add them to the tank just a few at a time and keep up with proper maintenance, they should thrive. They stay smaller than other varieties, so you can fit more in comfortably. You could put 6-8 pygmies in with your betta if the tank is planted and the filter is decent. It's important to get as large of a group as possible since cories are social schooling fish and do best in groups of 6 or more.

#8 ·
You can try ordering them through your local fish store--most fish stores will put your request in the special order book and get your fish in in a few weeks. Pygmy cories are fairly common, so you shouldn't have much trouble. If you have a local aquarium club or society, those are a great resource for fish that breed fairly easily, like cories. Fish from them would likely be healthier and cheaper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.