Betta Fish Forum banner

New 10 gallon betta tank.

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Josh5321 
#1 ·
So i just got this 10 gallon tank all set up about 30 hours ago with gravel, plants, heater,filter,etc.. When i filled the tank initially the water was clear hours later it became sort of cloudy. i assume this is a bacteria boom because its common when setting up new aquariums. unfortunately i do not have a kit to test the water. My Betta is in a crappy 1/2 gallon bowl right now. My question is even though i just established the tank a little over a day ago can i introduce my Betta to the new tank????? Is my Betta hardy enough to live in the tank while it cycles??????

#2 ·
Hello and welcome to FishForum. I wouldn't put him in the tank until its completely cycled. He'll be fine for awhile in the small container as long as the water is changed every few days. I recommend the API freshwater master test kit. The strips aren't accurate.

#5 ·
I know im a pest but i just read this on another website "Therefore, once you have an ammonia source in your tank, it's only a matter of time before the desired bacteria establish a colony in your filter bed. The most common way to do this is to place one or two (emphasis on one or two) hardy and inexpensive fish in your aquarium".

Therfore if im going to cycle the tank i first need a source of ammonia (my Betta)

#7 ·
You can add your betta. I cycled my tank with fish. However, you do run the risk of getting your fish sick/killed. A fishless cycle is recommended.

#8 ·
yeah ive been reading all night and i dont want to risk his life. hes going to live in his 1/2 gallon bowl as you can see in my avatar and i will do frequent water changes while i add ammonia to the 10 gallon tank. i think a fishless cycle will be best.

#9 ·
ugh its getting cold here in new york and i checked the temp in his 1/2 gallon tank today and its 69 degrees. i am very tempted to put him in his new tank and begin the cycle do you think he will be ok as long as i consistently do 25% water changes?

#11 ·
are you adding ammonia into the water? id make sure you clean that out, especially if u used 100%ammonia from a bottle. hed get ammonia burns.

if you didnt use that, and or can wait longer to add him, you can use fish food instead of ammonia as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.