Betta Fish Forum banner

What could I put in with my betta in a 5 gallon?

5K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  LisaC144 
#1 ·
I just recently bought a new 5 gallon tank, and I was wondering what I could put in there with him?
I really love cherry barbs and loaches, would cherry barbs be okay?
I'm thinking I'll put my smaller, less aggressive betta in there if I want to put other things in the 5 gallon too haha~
Thanks C:

#2 ·
Really, the only things that are considered okay in a five gallon are shrimp (cherry & ghost, mostly), and ADF, or African Dwarf Frogs.

Anything else would max the bioload and stress out the betta. It could cause fights and probably death for either all/both, or one of the fish.
Bettas are solitary by nature, and prefer to be alone in most cases. Most of the time they don't enjoy "friends", and they get stressed out.

#5 ·
I agree with code red. Actually I wouldn't even put the ADF's in there because they also require at least 2.5 gallons of water just like your betta and considering you will have gravel, decorations, and plants in your tank you won't actually have 5 gallons of water but less. Also being in such close quarters with a very active animal like an ADF could stress your betta.

Shrimp are great.. I've never heard a bad word about them.. also snails are good too but I wouldn't get any sort of apple snail (or mystery snail) because they'll grow too big. Zebra or Nerite snails would work good but only 1 as they will breed.

#8 ·
Yeah I was talking more about the ghost shrimp. They're really cheap here (like 5 for 50c or something like that???). I actually like the fact that the bettas will eat them. Once I get my 10 gallon planted the shrimp will finish off the ecosystem nicely.

Fish poo---> fertilizes Plants---> produce oxygen for the fish, snails, shrimp AND detoxify the nitrites/nitrates----> snails and shrimp eat dead plant matter----> shrimp breed and/or die----> bettas get a good snack off shrimp eggs and dead shrimp and poo some more... and the cycle continues. Its the ideal system.

The snails are really just cuz I like them :D.. but they do help with algae and decaying plant matter as well so they fit into the ecosystem.

#10 ·
I think you would be okay with loaches if you had a bigger tank, but barbs are very nippy from what I've heard.

Ghost shrimp are 99 cents each here. I added 3 to my sorority. My girls were very curious and tried to bite them at first, but they were too quick for them! Now my girls leave them alone.

I really recommend them, if your betta doesn't eat them. They're such characters! One of the shrimp has figured out when feeding time is for my girls, he'll swim up to the top and feel the surface for pellets. It's so cute. :D

#13 ·
Lisa.. I would go with the ghost shrimp.. you can get more and they're less likely to stress your fish. If you get an ADF you will need to have an alternate tank in case your betta decides to nip at your frog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.