Betta Fish Forum banner

My first fish-in cycle

1K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  labloverl 
#1 ·
I'm trying to cycle a 3.5 gallon with a small power filter. I set the tank up and added the fish on 10-4-12.

My first question is how much water do I change? I tested ammonia today and it looked between 0 and .25. So how do I know how much water to change? I haven't tested the other parameters yet, but again, based on the readings, how do I know how much to change?

#4 ·
MyRainboBetta Fish,

Since successful experiments performed last spring by me and a few others, many members have achieved stable cycles in 2.5g tanks. I should have kept a list.

The secret is: lots of filter foam or other media in a high-flow area like the filter to provide area for the colony, as well as plenty of aeration/oxygenation.

LL,

Do a 50% before ammonia reaches 0.25ppm.

If you've used enough seeded media from your other tank, you may not even get to that point.

#6 ·
I have cycled my 3.5 gallon, and I can pass you some tips. :)

I usually did water changes whenever I felt like it needed one, but remember 2 water changes at least per week. I always did 50% changes and remember not to mess with the gravel that much. IME you should add plants on the 2nd week as the water changes will usually take up the ammonia. But remember, that's suggested from me if you want to add plants. Just try to keep the tank dark, have the filter on high if the is Betta not disturbed, and add any media from cycled tanks to yours. Have any other questions? Oh, and I used a sponge filter for the needed surface area and it cycled in 20 days. I don't know why... But it did. I'm sure I told you that in your other thread..

#8 ·
Thanks for the tips LTB. That's so cool that your's cycled in 20 days! My 5 gallon took 27 days and that was with seeded media from my 10 gallon.

Hallyx, Great! It's not much, but then again the 3.5 gallon filter is pretty small. I do have gravel from the 10 gallon in there, along with a fake plant.

#9 ·
Thanks for the tips LTB. That's so cool that your's cycled in 20 days! My 5 gallon took 27 days and that was with seeded media from my 10 gallon.
Yeah, it's weird. Good luck!! (; Oh, and you know when you're supposed to change the water when it's cycled, right? Most people think it's still 2 50% changes but you could always do 1 75% per week.

#16 ·
It currently has one male in it.
I just tested. Ammonia was 0. Nitrate was somewhere between 5, 10, and 20 lol. I'm leaning towards 10 or 20 though. Again, I haven't changed the water for a week.

I was once told that if you didn't clean the test tubes out well enough, you could get a high ammonia reading. Well, mine have accidentally set up with the tested water in them for a while "oops!" and 2 of them are stained yellow.

#17 ·
Probably the nitrate test-tubes. Right? They stain sometimes. A thorough rinsing is all it should take. You don't have to scour them clean.

As long as your ammonia and nitrite are 0.0ppm (or close) AND your nitrate increases between changes, you're cycled. The absolute nitrate reading isn't critical as long as it isn't much above 10ppm.

Sounds like you've got another successful cycle, LL.

#18 ·
The nitrate and ammonia seems to have stained.

Tested today and ammonia is still 0. Nitrate seems to have gone down to 5. I need to test that again. I don't have a recent water change to compare it to though. I've been holding off to see if it would finish the cycle. Should I do a water change?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.