Betta Fish Forum banner

Filter ate his dorsal fin?

783 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Hopelessaddict101 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi! I'm back from vacation. Anyways, when I got back, Fred's tank was gross. I left the light on by accident (just led lights) and algae grew over them So I did a full change and cleaned it and it was totally fine after, I stuck him in and he had the time of his life. I have never seen him more alert, active, happy. It was really cute because he explored all four corners of the tank and swam around, brushed up against his marimo, etc.

Anyways, about two days later, I noticed his dorsal fin looked like it had been bitten/torn/shredded a bit on the tips. His 'butterfly' was gone on that fin :( He has a deformed dorsal fin for whatever reason, I don't know. He was a petco fish. His dorsal fin is still there, the tips just look like they have been eaten sort of. :( Stringy ends.

I took him out today, he happily swam to the top and surprised me. He allowed himself to be caught really easily! Maybe it's because he's been so happy and active in his new tank (and a little spastic/darty but he's not clamped or burned or anything. No weird scales/fins, not concerned. He's just happy). I took him out and put him into the hospital tank (half gallon) with 1tsp of aq salt and stress coat to prevent any possible fin rot...just as a precautionary measure.

I inspected the 5 gallon for anything that could have ripped his fin, but there was nothing. I don't know what did it. I assume that it COULD have been the filter, as there is a smalll rectangular opening(pictures below) where the water goes in and comes out the top fountain. Has anyone else had this problem? I put a rock on the top fountain to reduce the water turbulence, since his fins are quite heavy, so if anything, I imagine that the suction of the filter would be less intense.

Fred has never been a fin biter.

If it is the filter, is there anything I can do about the opening? I have a five gallon fluval chi, so I don't really know how to take that filter apart...

also, when should I take him out of the hospital? In three days? a week? I will do daily water changes.

He's really sad in the half gallon lol. I also really want this tank to work out. He seems to really enjoy the space.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Pictures:
The ones of him in the big tank are of the first couple of days he was in there, unharmed and happy.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
pictures are not shown. you do use nylon and cover the intake valve that is in the water that would suck in his fin.

#4 ·
use panty hose and cover the hole so the water can still go in but not his dorsal fin. He did not bit his dorsal fin off. They can't reach the dorsal fin or the anal fin. However they can bit their tail fin off but since its his dorsal fin the it is the intake valve for the filter. Use nylon panty hose and stretch it over the holes of the filter so his dorsal fin will heal. Also add some API aquarium salt to his tank to speed up the healing. Depending on the tank size will depend on how much aquarium salt you will need.

#6 ·
I had a similar problem with my girl... but it turns out it wasn't the filter or anything on the tank (I don't keep the filter on 24/7) but it's a fast acting bacteria.. :/ Basically all of her dorsal fin is gone and her back is ripped open.

Because of this I'm so nervous for other fish! So keep an eye on yours :) If concerned treat him with stress zyme for fin growth.

Best of luck <3

#7 ·
I saw your thread about your girl. Very sorry :( <3
Don't worry too much about Fred, although I do appreciate your concern ^_^ His fin was impaled by something(or maybe he just flared and since that fin is deformed, it broke in the middle) and a branch broke shortly after the end was chewed/taken off. D: But it's healing. the branch is just broken and he's totally fine. Back in the hospital with AQ salt and stress coat.

Ooh thanks for the tip, I might go pick up some just to keep on hand.

I feel like I'm using the stress coat more than I need to ugh. I should have bought the big bottle xD
I have been keeping a close eye on Fred and he is totally fine aside from cosmetic issues :)

Thank you!

#8 ·
Thank you!

Sorry, I didn't mean to steal your post! I feel like I did, a little bit! >.< What I mean't to say, is, if you feel like it's not from the tank KEEP AN EYE!! :)

But I am sure he is fine. (He is GORGEOUS by the way!). I hope his fins grow back and he becomes fine again :)

Let us know! xx

#9 ·
No, you didn't at all haha seriously don't worry. I really do appreciate your response. His fins are already growing back ^_^ It's a lot less stringy and it's only been a couple of days. I'm very happy with how it's progressing.
Awww Fred says thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.