Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta has clamped fins, how to fix it?

756 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  MattsBettas 
#1 · (Edited)
My Betta has had clamped fins every since i got him, and i have no idea why. He had fin rot a couple weeks ago, but his fin rot is gone after i put him in aquarium salt for 5 days. His fins are never straight up, and they never extend, they are just clamped... I got my Betta about 2 months ago.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons. (2.5 gallons divided)
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees F.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None, all he has is another betta at the other side of the tank, the tank is divided.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra mini pellets, i usually crush them because they are too big, hence the name "mini" pretty ironic.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets a day. I feed him 1 pellet in the morning and 2 at night.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner, the brand is Tetra BettaSafe.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins are clamped.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? His behavior hasn't really changed much.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I have no idea.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? His fins have been clamped since i got him. I haven't really been treating his clamped fins. But when he got fin rot, i treated him with aquarium salt.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes, he has gotten fin rot in the past, but his fins have been clamped way before he got fin rot.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Don't know, a little less than a year because of his size. But i got him 2 months ago. But i have no idea how old he is. My guess is a little less than a year.

See less See more
#4 ·
Hate to break it to you, but tetra is not high quality. In fact, it's far from it. Here are the ingredients-

Wheat flour, fish meal, wheat gluten, potato protein, corn starch, soybean oil, corn gluten, shrimp meal, dried yeast, monobasic calcium phosphate, lecithin, algae meal, yeast extract, ascorbic acid (source of vitamin C), inositol, niacin, a-tocopherol-acetate (source of vitamin E), riboflavin-5-phosphate, l-ascorbyl-2-phosphate (stabilized vitamin C), choline chloride, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, pyrodoxine hydrochloride, vitamin A palmitate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, biotin, cyanocobalamin (source of vitamin B12), cholocalciferol (source of vitamin D3), manganese sulfate, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, cobalt nitrate. Color Includes: Bixin, beta-carotene, canthaxanthin. Ethoxyquin as a preservative.

See how flour, fish meal, and gluten are the first three ingredients? All three of those are cheap fillers. Then, the list goes on to include soy, corn, and potato... None of which should be fed to a betta. Cheap food is, well, cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.