Betta Fish Forum banner

Clamped Fins? More Problems

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  JamieTron 
#1 ·
Hey everyone

My betta which we have had for about 3 weeks seems to have a problem with his fins. A couple days ago, they seemed to be stuck together. Initially he was eating okay but then stopped (he is also looking a bit bloated). I have asked in another forum but I really would like a second opinion if there is anything that I am not doing right or if he is dying or if he will get better. I dont want him to suffer but I dont want to take his chance of healing away. He has not unclamped his fins since this started 5 days ago.

SYMPTOMS
Appearance Changes: Fins are lighter colour than before but other than that normal. Bottom one tip looks as if he has rubbed it against something in the tank or he has bitten pieces of it off. He will not flare for anything.
behavior Changes: cant swim as well. Getting tired from using small side fins to keep him in place and to swim to the top.
Eating Habits: wont eat
Other: He was a very agressive fish and killed 3 other fish in the first couple days. Spending most of his time sitting on the bottom of the tank. Tonight he moved to sitting in his cave but still just sitting.

WATER STATS - When it initally happened he was in a 2.5g tank that was not fully cycled but nothing was in a dangerous range. The new tank that I got cause I felt bad for him is 5g not cycled but there is no registered chemicals in the water

TANK
Size: 5 Gallon
Temp: 78.8
Filtration/Aeration: Whisper Medium filter (new)

HUSBANDRY PRACTICES
Frequency of Tank Cleaning: Currently changing 25% every 3-4 days.
Water Additives: used aquaplus to condition tap water and cycle to help get the tank balanced.
Feeding (food type/frequency): bloodworms (he wasnt eating in the first couple days so everyday we give him 1-2 bloodworms) the second feeding is flakes which he doesnt like as much. I have got other flakes and pellets to try when he is feeling better. I have been trying to feed him a pea as he hasnt pooped in a while. I did not try feed him at all for the last couple days but I did try to get him to eat a pea tonight. He was interested in food but the peas sink so he couldnt catch it. After the first piece sank he once again lost interest in food and went back to hiding.
Tank Mates: None anymore (he killed them all)

TREATMENT
Any treatment so far and when: I have put 1 tbsp aquarium salt, trying to warm water up to 80. Have towel wrapped around tank to give him darkness and to help keep water temp up.

HISTORY
List any past health problems: was very agressive when we first got him he would attack the sides of tank all day until I placed paper on that side to stop the relection.

Pictures (I hope this works)
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k261/BoJangles76/Betta009.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k261/BoJangles76/Betta006.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k261/BoJangles76/Betta004.jpg

TIA for any help you can give me!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Those are very good photos to represent your issue.

The clamped fins are usually a symptom of illness, genetics or environmental stress.

So since he has other signs that indicate he's either ill or stressed, I would maybe lean towards the problem being environmental or illness.

So sudden changes in the environment can cause a fish to go water is called shock due to things such as salinity, temperature, pH, hardness, alkalinity. So did this problem occur when you switched his tank from 2.5 g to 5 g??? Did you acclimate him properly when changing to a new tank? Did you make it a similar temperature as the old one BEFORE you moved him into the new one?

This may help us rule causes out at first. Once you answer this we can try to see if it was environmental cause or illness....then that will help you perhaps treat him easier.

#3 ·
Hi Thanks for the reply!

The problem started a day before moving to the new tank. It was what made me go get a bigger better tank (more plants, heater, light, softer filter, and a cave) I treated the water in the new tank and had it running for 24 hours to get it conditioned further. Before I moved him I checked on the temp (both were exactly the same at 76.8 )

I also checked the new tank for the 3 poisons (Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate just in case - all were 0) and pH (7.5-8.0). Out of curiosity I also checked his old tank (Ammonia under 0.6 - much much lighter than 0.6 but not perfectly clear, Nitrite under .3 -closer to .1 and Nitrate between 5 and 10)

I have slowly increased the temp of his water over a couple days so as not to shock him. It is now 79 and I am still increasing to get to 80.

He has also lost colour in his body it is more greyish than a dark blue.

Thanks

#4 ·
You're welcome :)

Well it sounds like you are keeping his environment in top condition. I would say that perhaps he had an underlying illness when you purchased him or perhaps some of his tank mates could have had something and gave it to him. Is he a large betta? I find the larger bettas form the petstore are normally already old when you purchase them not always though.

Is there anywhere you can try to buy frozen or live fish feed, he may try a shot at eating that. Like daphnia or frozen tubifex or bloodworms?? One of my females won't eat anything but those weird sinking pellets for coridoras and stuff. I have no idea why, but I want to give her a shot with some frozen feed as well.

If he continues to have trouble swimming and can't reach the top of the tank I would suggest lowering the water level to a more accessible level so he can remain getting adequate oxygen. Or you could add an air stone if you feel that lowering the water level would effect the tank temperature and medication treatments. Lowering the water level; however, can also make food more accessible as well if he isn't bothering to swim up for it to at least inspect it (not sure if he is swimming up to the top of the water frequently).

#5 ·
Good news this morning once I took off his towel and turned on his light (for his "daytime") he seems to be happier. I gave him 2 pellets and he is nibbling at them and actually seems interested in stuff in the tank. He is still clamped but less lifeless. I talked to him for about 10 minutes which seemed to perk him up. I tried to get more pictures but he is being camera shy. He doesnt seem to have any problems swimming to the top of the tank and is now spending his time midway. Hopefully this all means he has taken a turn for the better. I am going to get a better heater today cause I can not sit in a house this hot forever. Thanks for the help and I may be back if anything changes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.