Betta Fish Forum banner

Lethargy

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Capricorn 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I got my Betta about a month ago or so, and he was very active and happy when I got him. I have him in a small tank, probably like 1 gallon or so, but I'm not exactly sure on the size. But now, he doesn't respond to food at all, and he spends the majority of the day hiding or just hanging around the bottom of the tank. I also think his color may have changed a little bit, but I'm not sure. What could have caused this and how can I fix it? Help?
Thanks!

#2 ·
#3 ·
I was told that water that is too cold can make them lethargic, because they are tropical fish. I have noticed this with my own betta

#4 · (Edited)
Housing
What size is your tank? 1-2 gallon?
What temperature is your tank? room temp?
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? he's alone

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta floating pellet food
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqua Plus Tap Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Color may have changed a little, and his tail isnt all fanned out
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a week or so ago?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? i got him a little over a month ago

#5 ·
You need a heater and more water changes.

Room temperature, unless you're a fish keeper and have a special heated room or something, is too cold for bettas. They are a tropical fish and need a temperature of 78-80 in order to thrive.

For a 1-2 gallon, unfiltered tank, you need to be changing the water completely about every other day. Otherwise, the ammonia that all fish excrete from their lungs builds up in the water and becomes toxic to them.

Clean, fresh, warm water should perk him right up.

#7 ·
My advice, get a 50watt adjustable heater.. they're more expensive than the preset ones, but once you set it to 78-80 you don't have to worry about it. They turn off when the water reaches the right temp.

#9 ·
Not a problem, good luck. :)

#11 ·
Erm, woops, was actually a typo. I have a 50w for my 10gal, that's what I was thinking of.

#15 ·
Sorry to hear that. :c

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.