Betta Fish Forum banner

betta almond leaves

1K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  jschristian44 
#1 · (Edited)
is my water supposed to look this way? it's ugly...

See less See more
#4 ·
It's controversial whether it makes them healthier... it does simulate their natural habitat and many (including myself) see improvement in their betta's overall health when using it. Here's a site generally discussing IAL and what many believe. In the end you'll have to make your own decision about its beneficial properties.

http://www.indianalmondleaves.com/aquariums.php

#6 ·
A couple of my girls had clamped fins and the beginnings of fin rot.. after a couple days in super concentrated IAL water they recovered completely! I keep IAL in their tanks all the time now. If you want to make it look better then I suggest decorating with a natural feed to it (driftwood, lots of plants). Then the brown water looks like it should be there.

#7 ·
do i still need to use water conditioner along with it or can i just forget about that all together?

im gonna be using them as infursia for my new fry once they come and after 2 weeks start feeding them the live baby bring shrimp, then onto bloodworms/pellets.

#8 ·
yea im eventually going to clean up the tank, but right now its the breeding tank for the fry so im gonna start getting it ready for that. but i am gonna eventually be putting substrate/live plants in it once the fry are all grown. i will probably have like a couple female betta in there and maybe some crabs/snails and some tetra in there. along with my squidward house which i can't wait to see. im gonna be putting the live plants in there for the breeding though. infusia from that as well right?

#10 ·
yep thank you. it's my first time but i've been doing tons of research. somehow missed cycling of the tank, but finally figured that out. i am gonna be adding live plants and then put a piece of shrimp in there. only thing i cant find out is when to test the water, since i think i have a limited amount of test supplies. i know you need to watch for spikes/falls of ph levels and nitrite/nitrate but when do you know? i think ill leave the shrimp in there for like 5 days, then test the levels and if they are at zero then i should be good right? then a few days later test the nitrate and see if it eventually goes back down to zero? well anyways, yeah i figured almond leaves weren't enough to feed so im gonna get some live plants.

#11 ·
and that site said the leaves do make infusia. but yeah i just found out that that color is fine with me. it produces more of a stream type water that these fish live in and it's fine with me as long as it's healthy. besides, looks mean nothing. i found out in more than one occasion in life. had a cute girlfriend she was mean. had nice looking water, it was mean to my fish. had nice looking headphones but my ugly ones sounded way better.

#12 ·
Oh no, cycling takes a lot longer than a few days...it takes about a month to do, though if you add live plants it should help speed up the proccess. If you have a petstore, a lot of them will also test the water for you if you bring them a small sample.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.