Betta Fish Forum banner

Scales and fins ripped off!!!!!

4K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  MSG 
#1 ·
Ok i have a male VT betta. He has long showy fins. I recemtly upgraded his tank a few days ago. i left him for an hour and came back to see 3/4 of his fin sliced off and like...4 scales ripped off! Idk what he could have ripped them on. it was so sudden. all i have in there are fake silk plants and marble rocks! ): i came back another hour later and more of his fins are ripped off! what should i do? please help! im super freaked!

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 79-80F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 5 a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 1-2 a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? stress coat +

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Some scales got ripped off. His fins are also being torn off.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? None
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A couple hours ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? a year?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Take the filter out..bettas and filters in smaller tanks don't mix, I have just noticed the same thing, cuz I have a filter in a 5 gallon but my VT fins are freying and I know that is the reason..it is much better to have a bigger tank, or use a small airstone for oxygen..to airate the water, but I don't see the need for a filter in a 2.5 --not sure why the scales are coming off, but it could also be biting, in any case shut off the filter for a couple days, and use some clean warm water with 100% water changes for the first 72 hrs, and see if there is any regrowth..if not use some AQ salt 1tsp per gallon. and try to premix the water and salt and water conditioner, or stress coat that will help regrow the fins..

#9 ·
You need to use a little desk light or the light that came with the tank before you take a picture.

I think LL wants to see a picture of the ENTIRE tank. There's definitely something in your tank that's causing the missing scales off the top of his head. When my girls look like that it's because another betta is ripping scales off.

#10 ·
You need to use a little desk light or the light that came with the tank before you take a picture.

I think LL wants to see a picture of the ENTIRE tank. There's definitely something in your tank that's causing the missing scales off the top of his head. When my girls look like that it's because another betta is ripping scales off.
okay. feel really stupid. i was freaking out and didn't mention anything about this. his tank yesterday got busted. it was leaking. that could factor in. i quickly put him in a divided tank with another betta. i wish i could edit my first post. i seriously wasn't thinking. he will only be in there for about 2 more days and i changed the water yesterday and today. he is on the filter side but i stuffed it with sponge. i meant to mention this. lemme go get a picture. he WAS in a 2.5 gallon tank. will be in one very soon again.

#12 ·
His scales aren't falling off by themselves, mr betta is ripping them off rubbing into something. I have that plastic TWIZZLER plant on the right, but I didn't put it in the tank because I thought the edges were too sharp.

The only way to really tell is to watch him for a while. Make sure you stay far enough away from the tank so he doesn't think you're going to feed him.

I would recommend reading a book/magazine across the room and looking up every 10 minutes to observe him.

#14 ·
I have no idea, because I still can't really tell what your betta's WHOLE tank looks like.

A really active betta has a higher chance of ripping his fins. Mine doesn't do anything. Just sits all day long posing, flexing his fins every so often, he yawns a LOT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.