Betta Fish Forum banner

Jack Skellington's somewhat photo shoot

1K views 28 replies 3 participants last post by  BettaLover223 
#1 ·
He is just so cute! I've only had him for a day but yet everytime I enter my dorm room he greets me and follows me when I move around :) such a sweetheart I am so glad I bought him from Walmart. Best decision I've made in a while:p

#4 ·
Ahh, I know how that is...I'm pretty sure several of mine would if they could as well. xD Bettas have such a personality, often just like little underwater puppies. Such fantastic companions. <3

Oh yes, such am amazing find at Walmart! He even looks fairly healthy, and such beautiful finage!

Ah, don't you just love when a fish clicks with you like that? How you just pick up their little cup and just KNOW? Its one of my favorite things about this hobby. <3

#5 ·
Ahh, I know how that is...I'm pretty sure several of mine would if they could as well. xD Bettas have such a personality, often just like little underwater puppies. Such fantastic companions. <3

Oh yes, such am amazing find at Walmart! He even looks fairly healthy, and such beautiful finage!

Ah, don't you just love when a fish clicks with you like that? How you just pick up their little cup and just KNOW? Its one of my favorite things about this hobby. <3
My other two back at home don't like me as much as he likes (I mean loves) me. He always watches me which I've never had a fish do so I feel kind of weird haha. I was very suprised to find such a find at wal mart. He was in really crappy water (pardon the pun).

I looked for a while at the others and they didn't seem very lively or exotic. I wanted something that you didn't see very often and I found Jack. I knew if I didn't get him someone else would who would put him in those tiny bowls and I could let him go.

#6 ·
Oh yes, I definitely have a few like that.....Dice, Nine, Sebastian, and Ciel are most certainly more cat-like then puppy like, though Ciel gets rather upset and nips his tail if I leave for more then a couple of days, and especially if someone else is left to feed him. xD I'm quite certain the other six however would be various breeds of dogs if they were mammals, all piling on me to sleep at night and curling around my feet during the day xD

When I first got into keeping though, my third betta was very special. He was a copper marble delta and my baby until the end, I SWEAR if he had little legs or paws he would have NEVER left my side, regardless if he had to be in the water or not. He sadly passed away suddenly while I was away from home....but I'll never forget him, he was just that special.
I also had a Cellophane VT who was like thats couple years back, but he was struck by a mystery disease and lived only a month with me.
Out of the goodness knows how many bettas I've had, those two will always stick out in my memory as being particularly puppy-like.

Thankfully my Walmart doesn't carry fish, nor have I lived near one that did....but I'm quite familiar for their terrible reputation as far as care goes of course, and I know they usually don't have the most variety....so you certainly found yourself a gem there! I probably couldn't have passed him up myself either. ;)

#7 ·
Oh yes, I definitely have a few like that.....Dice, Nine, Sebastian, and Ciel are most certainly more cat-like then puppy like, though Ciel gets rather upset and nips his tail if I leave for more then a couple of days, and especially if someone else is left to feed him. xD I'm quite certain the other six however would be various breeds of dogs if they were mammals, all piling on me to sleep at night and curling around my feet during the day xD

When I first got into keeping though, my third betta was very special. He was a copper marble delta and my baby until the end, I SWEAR if he had little legs or paws he would have NEVER left my side, regardless if he had to be in the water or not. He sadly passed away suddenly while I was away from home....but I'll never forget him, he was just that special.
I also had a Cellophane VT who was like thats couple years back, but he was struck by a mystery disease and lived only a month with me.
Out of the goodness knows how many bettas I've had, those two will always stick out in my memory as being particularly puppy-like.

Thankfully my Walmart doesn't carry fish, nor have I lived near one that did....but I'm quite familiar for their terrible reputation as far as care goes of course, and I know they usually don't have the most variety....so you certainly found yourself a gem there! I probably couldn't have passed him up myself either. ;)
Oh yeah I was shocked with most of the conditions of the fish there, but Jack wasn't bad at all from what I noticed. Just a lot of crap and food in his but the water wasn't murky yet either. I'm sorry to hear that I remember I had a fish named Oki (japanese for sea) for almost a year and I loved him because he was a gift from my best friend then he mysteriously died.

I got two other fish waiting for me at home though. One is a dragon scale delta tail (I recently learned that I thought he was half moon) and I can't figure out his color so I call it copper red and the other is a royal red/blue crowntail who I rescued from petsmart when I saw most of his tail was gone and he was in a horrid cup.

But I saw later that he had blue eyes, so you never know what gem you'll pick up :) Though I will say that Jack is by far my favorite boy he has the most personality. I just caught him sitting on the plant I had gotten him so now I know he really loves it

#8 ·
Oh yes, after all the horror stories I feel quite lucky that my Walmart doesn't carry fish and that I've thankfully never been in a Walmart that I can remember that did have bettas. There is a Meijer here though that carrys fish, however their tanks are very clean, their fish always appear healthy, and they even have live plants. They have bettas, but only a handful of various VTs in cups larger then Petco, and it looks as if their water gets changed quite often. Its quite nice actually.
Ahh, its alright, but thank you. ^-^ Its coming up on three years since both passed, so its been a long time....I still miss them though.

Awww, they sound adorable, especially your dragon! I kind of have a soft spot for Dragons. xD <3
Oh most definitely, especially in those terrible blue Petsmart cups. I just picked up what I assumed was just a simple red dragon, but he came out with this very interesting teal iridescence to him that was completely hidden by the blue water. You never know what you'll get there!
Awwww, how cute! I bet hes so grateful for being out of those terrible conditions, I find that ironically sometimes rescues tend to even be a little more attentive and personable. I like to think that in some little fishy way they're grateful. ;)

#9 ·
Oh yes, after all the horror stories I feel quite lucky that my Walmart doesn't carry fish and that I've thankfully never been in a Walmart that I can remember that did have bettas. There is a Meijer here though that carrys fish, however their tanks are very clean, their fish always appear healthy, and they even have live plants. They have bettas, but only a handful of various VTs in cups larger then Petco, and it looks as if their water gets changed quite often. Its quite nice actually.
Ahh, its alright, but thank you. ^-^ Its coming up on three years since both passed, so its been a long time....I still miss them though.

Awww, they sound adorable, especially your dragon! I kind of have a soft spot for Dragons. xD <3
Oh most definitely, especially in those terrible blue Petsmart cups. I just picked up what I assumed was just a simple red dragon, but he came out with this very interesting teal iridescence to him that was completely hidden by the blue water. You never know what you'll get there!
Awwww, how cute! I bet hes so grateful for being out of those terrible conditions, I find that ironically sometimes rescues tend to even be a little more attentive and personable. I like to think that in some little fishy way they're grateful. ;)
Yeah the walmart nearby my college does but by my house they don't sell them thank god. Yeah, my dragon, Dragon haha, but he doesn't act very grateful haha but Blaze the rescue does.

#11 ·
Good, because they are definitely not qualified enough to take care of fish. I remember one time in wyoming I looked at their fish section and i saw a dead gold fish in their sink. It wasn't in a cup or in water at all, it was pathetic. I was so disgusted with Walmart I considered complaining.

Yeah, I spoil my fish like crazy because I just love fish :)

#12 ·
I remember as a small child going into Walmart and insisting to go looking at the fish(I've always kind of been into fish)....but that was a good 15 years ago. xD I can't exactly remember what sort of conditions the fish were kept in, or if there were bettas though. I've heard the horror stories, seen the pictures, and even a couple of videos though. :/ It really is absolutely disgusting, I feel quite priviged my Walmart doesn't carry fish.

Oh goodness my fish are spoiled little buggers. xD At the moment they're all I've got along with my lizard, so they kind of all get spoiled to death, lol.

#13 ·
I remember as a small child going into Walmart and insisting to go looking at the fish(I've always kind of been into fish)....but that was a good 15 years ago. xD I can't exactly remember what sort of conditions the fish were kept in, or if there were bettas though. I've heard the horror stories, seen the pictures, and even a couple of videos though. :/ It really is absolutely disgusting, I feel quite priviged my Walmart doesn't carry fish.

Oh goodness my fish are spoiled little buggers. xD At the moment they're all I've got along with my lizard, so they kind of all get spoiled to death, lol.
Yeah, I've heard horror stories about them too that's why I was hesitant to go get a fish there but around here my options are limited so I can't be picky.

I agree, my fish are spoiled. I mean they not have the biggest tanks or the prettiest, but they aren't in a cup like thehy originally were and have plenty of space to swim. But, as soon as I have enough money, everyone is getting upgraded.

Once on here, people started telling me how I was horrible person and that I didn't deserve to have fish and shouldn't buy anymore because they thought i wasn't treating my bettas well though I treat them quite well. So when people ask me how big my tanks are, I never answer the question because I know they are going to launch into a huge lecture and make me feel stupid

#16 ·
Yeah....generally I don't like the idea of buying from a place where they keep their bettas/fish in poor conditions, but in the end if the fish is one that happens to click with me, I'm going to bring it home no matter what. If I only had a Walmart to go to to to get my fish....well I'd get my fish there and probably endlessly complain about their conditions. xDD

Well, I mean.....you plan to upgrade, so I can't see how thats all that bad. Smaller tanks are a little more upkeep and all that, but if you keep up with it and are able to keep your fish clean and warm I don't necessarily see the problem.
What do you have? 1-ish gallons? And you plan on upgrading in the future? That sounds perfectly fine to me. All of my boys have just about 2.5 gallons each, and everyones perfectly happy. I'm not saying bigger wouldn't be fantastic, but I love my setups and I'm not having any problems so I'm not changing anytime soon. My 10 gallon is actually divided into four sections, which I might probably catch a little flak for, but each fish still has plenty of swimming room and I'm a little more of an experienced keeper so its not like I don't know what I'm doing. xD

#17 ·
My fish are as follows, Buddy is in a 5g, Bella is in a 5.5g, Bali in a 2.5, Beau, Bandit, and Brady all have 1g bowls...I am planning on 2.5s to replace the 1gs when I am able..in the meantime I just do a lot of water changes lol! Right now I am saving to buy heaters for them all. I live in the South, so have not needed them yet..but, that will be my next big fish purchases. I only began in June, so still a newbie. However, I have not had any of my fish get sick or have problems, so I'm doing pretty well learning.

#21 ·
Yeah....generally I don't like the idea of buying from a place where they keep their bettas/fish in poor conditions, but in the end if the fish is one that happens to click with me, I'm going to bring it home no matter what. If I only had a Walmart to go to to to get my fish....well I'd get my fish there and probably endlessly complain about their conditions. xDD

Well, I mean.....you plan to upgrade, so I can't see how thats all that bad. Smaller tanks are a little more upkeep and all that, but if you keep up with it and are able to keep your fish clean and warm I don't necessarily see the problem.
What do you have? 1-ish gallons? And you plan on upgrading in the future? That sounds perfectly fine to me. All of my boys have just about 2.5 gallons each, and everyones perfectly happy. I'm not saying bigger wouldn't be fantastic, but I love my setups and I'm not having any problems so I'm not changing anytime soon. My 10 gallon is actually divided into four sections, which I might probably catch a little flak for, but each fish still has plenty of swimming room and I'm a little more of an experienced keeper so its not like I don't know what I'm doing. xD
Yeah all three are in 1.5 gallons right now, but they still have plenty of room to swim and explore. The only issues I've had with fish is when I started, I didn't realize about water conditioner but otherwise they've been doing well unless they don't eat and I can't figure out the problem. I mean this weekend I am planning on going and gettting at least Jack a new tank because I would love for him to have that hideout in his tank so he can hide.

Besides, I think keeping them a little smaller is easier to clean, but that's my opinion. I mean, I'm not saying I'm not upgrading all of them, but I'm going to do it one at a time, starting with Jack since he's the closest to me and the others are at my parent's home (still my home haha)

#19 ·
I don't see anything wrong with those setups at all.
Its one thing if you're a beginner keeping your fish in something less then a gallon and doing like....weekly partial water changes(yes, it happens, I know :/)but when you understand and are willing to make the proper water changes, and especially if you have future plans of upgrading, I don't at all see the problem. xD
I'm jealous you live in the south by the way. ;P Sigh, how I miss the warm Texas winters....here in Illinois we get the scorching hot, humid summers and the freezing cold winters. >.< Not fun at all....

#22 ·
Thanks, yeah, my 1g bowls get 100% changes twice a week. I love that they are very easy to keep clean actually, though I also love the 2.5 that Bali has for that same reason, it's a good size and easy to maintain!
I am a New England girl myself, and still love how hot is stays down here! I don't miss Winter!

#24 ·
I used to have a tank that was....1.77 gallons I think exactly. Before I dropped it in the tub during a water change and cracked it, I'd had that thing for 5 years and that tank was the best tank I'd ever had. Not only had it survived three moves and five years, but it was a nice size to sit next to my computer, had a little light, was light and easy to make the appropriate amount of water changes, held heat rather well, and I'd always had very healthy and happy fish in there. I really miss that thing....

Most people make the general argument of going with 2.5+ mainly just to get the point across to beginners who may not be quite as experienced or prepared to care for a smaller tank, which can be a little more work but fish keeping really isn't quite so black and white. There are a few general guidelines to follow, yes, but how one keeps their fish down to the detail varies per keeper. If a 1.5 gallon is a little easier for you to keep up with, then thats whats right for you and your situation. ;)

Upgrading is definitely fun though, with all the extra room to decorate and whatnot. xD

#25 ·
I used to have a tank that was....1.77 gallons I think exactly. Before I dropped it in the tub during a water change and cracked it, I'd had that thing for 5 years and that tank was the best tank I'd ever had. Not only had it survived three moves and five years, but it was a nice size to sit next to my computer, had a little light, was light and easy to make the appropriate amount of water changes, held heat rather well, and I'd always had very healthy and happy fish in there. I really miss that thing....

Most people make the general argument of going with 2.5+ mainly just to get the point across to beginners who may not be quite as experienced or prepared to care for a smaller tank, which can be a little more work but fish keeping really isn't quite so black and white. There are a few general guidelines to follow, yes, but how one keeps their fish down to the detail varies per keeper. If a 1.5 gallon is a little easier for you to keep up with, then thats whats right for you and your situation. ;)

Upgrading is definitely fun though, with all the extra room to decorate and whatnot. xD
When people tell me my tank is too small, I just say, "well i don't think they're miserable compared to living in a vase with a plant on top." Which is true, I wish when I was younger I could've known better about my mom keeping them in vases with plants :( she told me they could live off the roots but I was too young to know better.

But the setup for each fish is same but different and they never have any issues with it. Well, except Dragon but that's because he had jumped out of the water to get the pellet I was holding. That devil is very agressive when feeding, I am shocked haha. The other two are very gentle with their food.

#26 ·
Oh yes, I've been in many a classroom where they have those....personally I never had bettas as a child though. I generally had 10-ish gallon tanks with various minnows I caught with my little net while fishing with my dad. xD I had goldfish too at some point I think....
That was a good 10+ years ago though.

Haha, what naughty little thing!! xD I don't have any jumpers now, thankfully, but I've had a couple. Such enthusiastic little guys....

#28 ·
Oh yes, I've been in many a classroom where they have those....personally I never had bettas as a child though. I generally had 10-ish gallon tanks with various minnows I caught with my little net while fishing with my dad. xD I had goldfish too at some point I think....
That was a good 10+ years ago though.

Haha, what naughty little thing!! xD I don't have any jumpers now, thankfully, but I've had a couple. Such enthusiastic little guys....
I know they have such cute personalities! I was talking to a person at walmart who takes care of bettas and she has one at home and she says hers makes the biggest bubble nests. My rescue does but at times it gets too big so I got to pop them and he gets mad then depressed but gets over it later.

I had a lot of goldfish and I really don't like them. They are probably one of the dumbest creatures on the planet.

#27 ·
I'm 51 years young..and never had any fish! I bought my first Betta in June, and I'm so glad when I got home with him I looked up how to care for him..that's how I found ya'll here!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.