Betta Fish Forum banner

How can you tell if your Betta's are good for breeding?

3K views 58 replies 12 participants last post by  LadyVictorian 
#1 ·
I've read alot about how people say you shouldn't breed Betta's from Pet Stores, is this completely true?

& how do you tell if your Betta's [both male & female] are of good quality to breed?

Like, for an example, Richard, my SDet is multicolored [as you can see by the pics below] - does this make him a bad choice for breeding because of all his colors? Is there a way I can tell what the main colors of his parents were just by looking at him? [sorry I dont understand how the coloring combos work no matter how much i try to]

And finally at what age do you think its time to stop breeding a Betta? I've read 2 years & the younger the better?

Sorry for the kinda crap quality pics, trying to get a good one of his coloring sucks when he wont stay still lol.

& as you can see, his color changes alot with the flash of the camera & the angle he is at. But he is obviously mainly blue, red & a pinky/purple color with clearish edges around his fins. Idk why he looks so green with the flash?

See less See more
#2 ·
Usually it is recommended that the bettas be under 2, sounds right as some are ready at 3mos!
The only problem with pet store fish is you have no family tree so strange things might pop up and a lot of them seem to have poor conformation...body lines.
It is not all about the color but body lines and fins as well. For instance, it is recommended that your breeders are at least half moon because that is what you are aiming for and you'll get more HM in the spawn if you start with fish that have 180degree caudal...so your SDelta will produce few HM babies.
The pink and purple on your gorgeous boy are more than likely derived from blue on top of red since red layer is under blue/green iridescence layer...that is how most if not all "purple/lavender" bettas are made as of now...hard color to come by.

But, in the end, I have to agree with what Sena and Creat have said in similar threads: you have to start somewhere and many breeders probably began with less than perfect fish! In fact, there is no "perfect" fish! It is the enthusiasm you bring. Find the best fish you can, have a goal, and enjoy the process!

#3 ·
I would like to breed him, I have a female HM on order from one of my local stores. I asked for a green one, but the man said there's no guarantee thats what she will be, they get theirs from a breeder.

I just get a bit hesitant about asking because some people seem to get really snappy on here about people doing "the wrong thing".

Its just something I'd like to try. I've been reading a lot about it, I know everything I need to have [food for the fry seems to be the only thing I cant find locally] - if it works, it works, if it doesnt, its not going to stress me out. Id just simply like to give it ago without people being negative.

#5 ·
That's how I feel about it. There is a lot of stressing "the right and only way" around here...in my opinion, betta owners are like any other obsessive pet owner: each one will have a different idea of what's right and that is it.
For awhile, I was one of those "it has to at least 2.5gallons" people...then I began breeding and I ordered a bunch of bettas from thailand, and guess what: I had no space for them and they started being put in vases (good thing my husband buys me a lot of flowers :). At first, the boys in vases were going to be temporary, but as I began moving them around(to spawning tank) I noticed how some really dig being in the vase, feel secure I guess. So, I got larger vases, silk plants, and heaters. I don't feel bad because each fish is different and I place accordingly...Sam, my super red HM, adores his 5gallon tank so much he built a 5x2" bubble nest that is one inch high out of water!
So, I am all for what works for you! I can totally see a green HM female with your boy...he has a really active iridescence layer ( top layer out of 4). If you can't get green from LPS, try aquabid. There are a few USA breeders that have been selling green or platinum juvies...I got the most beautiful true green female HM from one and 3 white platinums with lots of iridescence from another...you can PM me later if interested in their names...don't know off top of my head :)

#6 ·
Choc....pros is waiting for female.
Pros: forgot to tell you...aquabid has many sellers of live food...I recommend banana worms and vinegar eels....fishyy..I believe is his name, sells some really nice grindal and white worm cultures that are huge (you could feed day they get to you!) Your adults should be conditioned..live and/or frozen food works best...had best results with the grindals and white worms...recently had 3 consecutive spawns!

#7 ·
It's a bad idea to breed pet store bettas and you should not order more bettas than you have room for that is hoarding. The administrator said 2.5 gallon minimum.

#47 ·
Definitely have to disagree.. many winners from different shows have been spawns (different generations) from pet store breeders. It tends to be recommended for first time breeders, and it easily ends up creating wonderful looking fish. And as for the 2.5 gallon quote, that is an opinion for the most part, many people will disagree with that statement (me included) and wish it was removed as it gives people a reason to make others feel bad for using gallon size tanks.

Thialand Breeders breed for mass not quality.
Depends.. many American breeders are the same way. You are looking at businesses that do that, but the millions of ordinary people breed for quality there just as they do elsewhere in the world. My breeding female came from parents from there, and her parents were not mass bred. :)

Pet store Bettas are harder to get rid of it is like breeding Puppy mill dogs.
As mentioned before, personal opinion of yours.. when you breed your own fish, they are not pet store bettas anymore. There are some tail types (such as VT) that are not as popular when it comes to selling on sites such as Aquabid or Ebay, but are welcomed by pet stores. Your statement really doesn't make sense all that much to me, so I really can't respond.

You may have to order the BBS online, not a whole lot of stores carry them as they tend to be refrigerated. They can get costly though. I think for my first set up I have spent a total of around $600 give or take, if not more.. and that is to breed only one pair of bettas.

#8 ·
I have a 3 gallon tank for the female already & my males all have 5.5 gallon tanks. I have plenty of room for her in my room & plenty of room in one of our spare bedrooms for breeding. I dont hoard, my mother has instilled in me not to do that...

My Betta's all get fed Wardley's Betta Pellets & Blood Worms. I live in Australia so I dont know if I can use that AquaBid site?

#9 ·
I am pretty sure you need a 10 gallon for breeding a lagre tank to hold females tons of containers for males and you should use more protien for breeding.

#10 ·
Yeah I know I've made a complete list of all the things I require if I decided to breed - its like 2 pages long lol.
Like I said, I would like to, doesnt mean I will though. Im just trying to get all the info I can beforehand.

#14 ·
Choc: it was an accident that I was without room for the bettas I ordered because my divided 20g long sprung a leak (my 2.5 year old daughter swung a metal flashlight at it and smashed the glass) and that tank was being set up for the bettas I ordered ...they arrived before I could replace and cycle another tank. You always seem to jump to worst idea possible. You just told prosthetic that she had to make sure she had purchased enough "containers" for the males....do you honestly think any breeder is going to make those containers 2.5gallons...its not practical at all!

Prosthetic: a 10gallon breeding and spawning tank is recommended by a lot breeders. Some uses a smaller spawning tank and then move the babies up accordingly. I use Kritter keepers, the largest size or a Rubbermaid type container and then move the babies up.
You can use aquabid, probably have to order from Thailand as most USA breeders don't ship overseas. I have no idea about the vinegar eels, banana worm cultures, etc...

#15 ·
I never said they had to be 2.5 they are breeding and you cant keep males together so they need to be held in something you owe me an apology I was building a small list on supplies. Most pet store Bettas are from thialand but each boz has like 100.

#16 ·
Choc: I was answering your very first post to this thread where you said I was hoarding because I didn't have room for bettas I ordered and you made comment about admin saying 2.5g...I was reminding you that breeders cannot realistically have 2.5g or larger tanks for all their fish and that it is water quality and happiness that count more! Honestly, I think you owe me an apology for "hoarding" comment...but I understand it was just a caring thought for the bettas and I am trying to be civil and mature about it.
I also understand you were making a short shopping list and I agreed with it. Maybe if you used some punctuation it would seem less like you were attacking other members of this forum. Without punctuation it is sometimes difficult to interpret your thoughts and your comments seem to be a verbal attack in my head...kind of someone using caps lock or bold faced font.

Prosthetic: I am sorry for hijacking your thread. I will answer any questions you come up with or you can PM me.

#17 ·
I was reffering to the person who ordered more fish off the internet than they can care for and decided to start keeping them in flower vases.

#18 ·
I know most pet store bettas come from Thailand but that is where majority of betta breeders, who have been doing it for years, are. You have to be careful which breeders you buy from and you have to really know what to look for in way of conformation and fins...and color :)....but you can get some really nice ones.
Usually the pet stores get the culls from Thailand ...the ones that don't have the best conformation, etc...then aquabid gets the last set of culls probably, leaving breeder with only the best couple of bettas from each spawn.
At least that is how I interpret the system.

#21 ·
Nothing wrong with spawning pet shop Betta-A Betta either meets standards or it doesn't-the only difference with a pet shop Betta is knowing its genetic and often you won't know this with some breeders either-depends on how well they keep records and how willing they are to share.

It also depends on your goals-if you want to show-look for a Betta that meets the IBC standards as close as you can with mate that complements them.

If you just want to see if it is something you would like to learn to do...That is fine too..IMO......You have to start someplace-you can only read and research so much-at some point you have to get your feet wet so to speak. As with most things it can be a trial and error issue-especially with living creatures.

What is important is to be responsible and have a plan.

Lots and lots of different methods to not just keep this species-but to spawn and rear fry successfully.

You can spend a ton of money or very little-you can go high tech or low tech.

When I cupped my males for grow out-I used pint and quart canning jars-but now I am able to keep all the males and females together long term (this was one of my goals)and so I only cup short term to condition for spawning.

Personally I have found that the natural method to work best for me-For others they like the standard method and the standard method is often the best method to try when its your first time spawning this species.

Live foods are best, however, you can still rear fry on processed, cooked egg yolk and frozen foods-Its done everyday by some breeders. Its finding what works for you, what you have on hand...etc......

Not really a right or wrong way to spawn-its finding what works for you and your breeders and this can changes from spawn to spawn-even with the same breeders sometimes too.....They are living creatures after all....lol....

Most important.....have fun...that is what this hobby is all about after all....

#22 ·
Some actually do breed for quality ...you have to pick the ones that belong to betta breeding organizations and that readily show, many even belong to IBC. I am not trying to say Thai breeders are the best but some do know what they are doing and some actually care about the betta. Nicebettas.com is a smaller breeder that cares about her bettas. She has offerings on aquabid every couple of months and sells off website as well....some breeders have 6 + bettas everyday on aquabid!

#25 ·
I am assuming you are basing that statement on personal experience for your area. In my area-the unique Betta that I breed/rear are what sell best-most of the buyers have zero interest in showing or even know what the IBC standard is. What they want, is a cool looking healthy Betta. My pure HM and HMDT line isn't nearly as accepted-they sell-but not like my unique Bettas-I can't breed them fast enough to meet the demand and I am NOT anything like a puppy mill.....

#27 ·
Can you please explain the natural method as I would like to do something less clinical than the standard method. It just might coax some of my bettas who seem reluctant to pass on their genetics! Thank you.
I use 5-10gal full to the top with water-soil based heavy planted mature tanks.
These systems are as close to a natural ecosystem that can be created in a closed system.
They have lots of common snails-like pond, ranshorn and trumpets, lots of Red cherry shrimp and the 10gal will also have a young BN pleco-I have to change it out about every 4-6 months since it will out grow the tank. (I also breed BN plecos so I always have a steady supply)
Every thing has a job in the system-they also naturally create an environment that support fry. Mainly food-lots and lot of microorganisms for free range fry food.

Lights stay on a 12h/day photoperiod-even with eggs/fry in the nest, female isn't always removed and often the male is left long term. Breeders fed before, during and after spawning

The natural method is more about the system itself and more or less doing everything opposite of what everything you read about spawning this species.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.