Betta Fish Forum banner

Biomax Debate

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  jman828 
#1 ·
So here's the thing, I've always heard to not replace the biomax, but doesn't it become not effective? I know that it still houses BB but does it quit reducing ammonia and nitrite if you don't replace it. Because I've never changed it but I always wonder why it says replace every 3 months. Carbon I change every month and sponge whenever it get gross every 2 or 3 months.

#2 ·
replace every three months is a marketing ploy.... having beneficial bacteria is more efficient at reducing ammonia as anything else. changing it out will only put you into a mini cycle. IMO if your tank is cycled, you don't even need carbon.

#3 ·
Okay well since I bought a new biomax bag I will replace it but then I'll just leave it. And I don't know why but sometimes there is ammonia in my tank that won't leave (but just a very tiny bit). What can i do to eliminate it completely?

#4 ·
Biomax as in the Aquaclear stuff? Those just provide surface area for the BB to grow. They should never be replaced. It's sometimes called Bio-balls. I have one in my 55 gallon that has never been replaced in the 6 years the tank has been running. Carbon and the ammonia-removing inserts are the only Aquaclear inserts that should be periodically replaced. Or alternatively you could use Seachem Purigen. It removes nitrate and ammonia and can be recharged. I don't know if either of the two other Aquaclear inserts can be recharged.

#5 ·
They also reduce and control ammonia and nitrite which I'm having a bit of issues with (which I never have before) so i figured this might be the culprit) so I'm going to replace it this one time and if it changes anything I will change every so often and if not I will never change it again.

#6 ·
AquaClear BioMax Filter Insert - PetSmart These things? These are just surface area for BB to grow. They reduce ammonia and nitrite by providing more space for the bacteria that convert these harmful chemicals into nitrate. These bacteria like high-oxygen environments like that which would be found in a filter. They are made of ceramics and are inert. I don't think they chemically remove ammonia and nitrite.

AquaClear Ammonia Remover Filter Insert - PetSmart This is the ammonia-removed and does need to be replaced periodically. It's basically like carbon, but specifically targets nitrogenous wastes. If ammonia removal is what you are after I would actually use Seachem Purigen instead. It is rechargeable unlike the Aquaclear product. Seachem. Purigen

There are a number of reasons you could be having ammonia and nitrite spikes. Changing your sponge can do it as it provides a ton of surface area for the BB. It shouldn't be changed unless it falls apart. Most of my sponges are years old.

#8 ·
Yes, that one.

Don't replace the sponges or biomax, they have most of tour good bacteria. I tank that has been setup for a while should only use carbon if you put meds in and those need to come out, or if there is a tint and you want it gone. It is a market scam to replace these. Just dip them and gently wash them in old tank water during water changes so they aren't gross.

Also, the name says it BIO, or biological filtration, if just houses good bacteria, carbon would be mechanical and biological.

There will always be a tiny bit of ammonia because right when it is produced the bacteria doesn't instantly eat it.
And there is a little nitrite as well, is that the same idea?

#7 · (Edited)
Don't replace the sponges or biomax, they have most of tour good bacteria. I tank that has been setup for a while should only use carbon if you put meds in and those need to come out, or if there is a tint and you want it gone. It is a market scam to replace these. Just dip them and gently wash them in old tank water during water changes so they aren't gross.

Also, the name says it BIO, or biological filtration, if just houses good bacteria, carbon would be mechanical and biological.

There will always be a tiny bit of ammonia because right when it is produced the bacteria doesn't instantly eat it.

#9 ·
you shouldn't have any ammonia or nitrite in a fully cycled tank. if you replaced the biomax, you may be undergoing a mini cycle since you removed a large amount of the beneficial bacteria and the new biomax has yet to be colonized. nitrite is very poisonous, i would do a water change to remove it and check it everyday until it remains at 0...

#11 ·
No, I have not replaced the biomax, it's just been there lingering a tiny bit for quite a while now.

do you have ammonia in your tap water? that would be the only reason i would expect to see any amount in a cycled tank. what do you use to dechlorinate your water? some dechlorinators, such as prime, neutralize ammonia. if you do have ammonia in your tap water, you may want to get a dechlorinator that does that. i would have added this to my previous post, but it won't let me edit it anymore :p
Nope my water has nothing in it at all. I use prime. In fact the only reason I even use water conditioner at all is because prime detoxifies ammonia. In many of my previous tanks I used no conditioner and the fish lived years and years just fine.

#10 ·
do you have ammonia in your tap water? that would be the only reason i would expect to see any amount in a cycled tank. what do you use to dechlorinate your water? some dechlorinators, such as prime, neutralize ammonia. if you do have ammonia in your tap water, you may want to get a dechlorinator that does that. i would have added this to my previous post, but it won't let me edit it anymore :p

#12 ·
If you are seeing an ammonia and nitrite spike then your tank is likely going through a mini-cycle. Could you give us a little more information about any recent changes in the tank? New fish? Removing plants? Replacing filters? Is it possible your test kit could have expired? Could there now be ammonia/nitrite in your source water?

#13 ·
None of those whatsoever...It's been like that for a while but I just decided to do something about it now. I've been discussing it in a similar thread and the consenses is if it doesn't stop after the thorough 50% change I did today, to permenantly increase the weekly changes from 25% to 40-50% weekly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.