Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta fish instant death

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  DragonFish 
#1 ·
Hello Im new here. I just got a betta fish with all its accessories a week ago. It was a normal fish no abnormal habits. So today I decided to change the water and I put conditioner in it, but when I put my fish back in after a while, it instantly froze and sunk to the bottom and died. I think the water was too hot for it which caused it to die. Did it just fry to death? :(
Please no mean comments I'm new and still learning.

#2 ·
Hey there Sharrrky, and welcome to the forum! :)
Its alright, we were all new once! You've come to a great place to learn too, we have a very friendly community over all and many very experienced keepers always willing and happy to help with any questions or concerns you might have concerning our favorite little finned companions!

I'm very, very sorry to hear about your loss. D: It is possible that he may have gone into shock for some reason. Could you possibly share a little about your setup? Size? Usual temp/temp of the fresh water(approximately)? What Kind of water conditioner you use? How did you acclimate him after the water change?
A little more info would be very helpful so I and others can help so that you're next betta experience is a much more enjoyable one. :)

#3 ·
Well my aquarium is a LED 2.5 gallon aquarium, no heater or filter. I did 100% water change. I use Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner. I feed it BettaFood. I had a half moon male Betta fish. When I changed the water I put a little hotter water than usual because I don't have a heater and my room is quite cold. And I think the temperature shocked him and caused instant death :(

#6 ·
It's Okay Sharrrky, everybody makes mistakes. I just became a member yesterday and I realized how bad a fishkeeper I really was. but I am learning from my mistakes, and you will too. good luck with your next Betta,
Saphira

#7 ·
betta fish water temperatures should be around 80F which is lower than body temperature, whilst not cold, it should feel slightly cool to the touch. if it feels warm or hot, then you will easily have a dead fishie on your hands :(.

Additionally sometimes it's a good idea to let hot tap water run a bit before using it, so any minerals that have been sitting in the pipes are flushed out. I'm sorry for your loss D:

#8 ·
It does sound like you probably did shock him....A very sad loss....but at the same time, a good learning experience, especially since(assuming)that that is what brought you here.

When adding a fish into a new environment or after preforming a 100% change, you need to properly acclimate your betta by floating his container in the new water for about twenty minutes or so. Then, pour a little of his old water out, add a bit of fresh water, wait fifteen minutes or so, then repeat. Repeat once or twice more, then you can gently pour your fish back in.

You have a great tank size there, perfect for a single betta. A filter isn't needed since thats a little small to try cycling, especially for a beginner, but you will want to pick up a heater before you get your next betta. Bettas are tropical fish and need a stable temp year round of 78-82 degrees F.....so you had the right idea wanting to warm up the water a little bit, but as you discovered that particular method is a little risky, and isn't stable either as the water will eventually cool causing stressful temp fluctuations.
You'll want to look for a fully submersible, adjustable heater with a thermostat. about 25 watts should do it. Elite, Hydor, Aqueon, and the Petco brand are all good brands. Stay clear of those pad-like heaters, the Tetra brand heaters, and pretty much anything non-adjustable.....those tend to be unreliable and don't stably heat.
If you're stuck on a budget, Amazon has some nice heater prices and if you're willing to wait a couple of weeks I can give you the link to a $6 heater on ebay that works fantastically for smaller tanks. :)

#11 ·
Marina makes a preset heater for smaller tanks. The 10w is the one you would want. However, adjustable heaters are better. Just remember that if you do a 100% water change, to acclimate him to the new water's temperature (as you discovered, very painful results), or if you do a 50% water change, then make sure your new water is fairly close to the tank's temperatures - slightly colder is better than warmer (for reasons you have already discovered), but not too much colder. My fish will tolerate room temperature water when I do a 50% water change, but she doesn't like water warmer than what she is used to.

#12 ·
When I do water changes, I make sure the water is the same temp of the old water and after putting conditioner in the tank, I dump them in. Never had a death from it yet. >.>

#14 ·
What tank do you have?

You could get away with a 1 gallon provided its heated and you are able to keep up with the necessary water changes(at least 2 50%s and 1 100% per week). Is not the end of the world. It wouldn't hurt to however(and I personally would recommend you do) to, in the future at least, look into upgrading. IME/O most bettas with the exception of special cases(large finned males/blind or disabled fish)really do better and appreciate something in the 2.5-5+ gallon range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.