Betta Fish Forum banner

Howdy, I'm Mouce

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Oldfishlady 
#1 ·
I'm 24, male, and from Houston, Tx. This will be my first aquarium, and I've decided I would like to keep a female Betta so I've been doing some research.

I have a 5 gallon tank with filter, hood, and light and will be going next weekend to pickup my substrate, food, water treatment/test kit, heater, plant, thermometer, and some form of decoration that can be used as a hiding hole. I'm undecided on if i want to go strictly with fake plants or if i want to attempt to do a Java fern, but am leaning towards at least one live plant - the advantages seem to be too good to ignore - however with this being my first foray into fish keeping I don't know how live plants will change the difficulty of upkeep. I'm planning on keeping my tank at 78*F and mainly feeding it pellets but occasionally using freeze-dried bloodworms.

My reasoning behind having a female is that if I'm successful in keeping her i'd like to upgrade to a 10-20 gallon tank and start a sorority, moving her into the bigger tank and using my current one as an isolation tank. I'm also considering getting her a tank mate in the form of a snail to help with any algae.

Is there anything i'm overlooking?, this forum has been an amazing resource!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello there, Mouce, and welcome! I'm quite new at this myself, so I'm afraid I won't be able to help with your questions, but this forum has been extremely helpful to me and has always been able to answer my questions quickly and thoroughly.
Enjoy your stay and feel free to post a new thread with any specific questions you may have to get better answers. :)

#3 ·
Hello, and welcome to the forum. :) You seem to have everything ready, have you heard of cycling? It's major in your tank's health, and your betta's. Java fern is a very good beginner plant- low light, doesn't need CO2. Others I suggest are java moss and anubias. Remember to QT them just in case for snails!

Sororities are cool, my tank is currently cycling for a sorority with catfish. Good luck, and happy fish-keeping! :D

#4 ·
I agree! Cycling is extremely important, please let us know if you need info about it. Oh, and of course, welcome! :-D

#5 ·
Sounds good and yes do read up on cycling your tank you can do a fish in cycle but you have to be careful and do the water changes and you need to buy a test kit, the one most use is the API freshwater Master Kit. I did a 5 gallon fish in cycle but was very careful and tested everyday the levels of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. You will need to do 2 50 percent water changes per week till your tank has cycled an then you cut down to one. A gravel vacuum is very nice to have and do not cost not much I paid like 7 dollars for mine and would not trade it for anything. Also live plants are good while doing a cycle they use the ammonia in the water as food. Hornwort and Ancharis are what I have and they are good beginner plants. I will find the sticky on cycling for you and post it. Good luck and nice to have you on the forum !

#9 ·
It is fairly easy I cycled mine fish in for the first time ever, first fish ever. I was nervous at times but used Prime water conditioner helped ease my mind cause it detoxifies ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for 48 hours giving you plenty of time between water changes. My betta Perseus did great never bothered him at all and he enjoyed all the water changes he still does enjoy his once a week 50 perfect water change with the gravel cleaning and when I am done he loves to swim around all over making sure everything it where it should be..lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.