Betta Fish Forum banner

Is there a tank size too big for one betta?

643 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Bluewind 
#1 ·
I know male bettas are prone to fight, but I think that at some point it would be too big for a single betta. Also, isn't there a point that 2+ male bettas could live in the same tank. I suppose this question is, what would satisfy a male's territory requirements?

Moreover, if you think 2+ males being together is always a bad idea, wouldn't there be a size that you could keep a male and some females?

#2 · (Edited)
As bettas have a laberanth organ and therefore must ocasionally breath air, there is most definitly a depht that is too much of a workout to swim (depending on the corosponding current). 2 males will be a bad idea 98% of the time even with larger tanks. The only time I have ever heard of it working was when the 2 males in question were siblings raised together with the dad in method because that method has a trackrecord of making adult males a bit less hostile.

The male/female mix is also a bad idea. Not only will there be babies for you to take care of (are you ready to HAVE to feed something 2x or more a day for a few months and do massive daily PWCs? also poop. lots and lots of poop), the female can turn on the male and kill him even if he is dosile.
Posted via Mobile Device

#3 ·
I thought that too, but I was also wondering if a tank size was too large for a betta. I know that my betta was kinda shocked at how big his 10gal was when I moved him from a 1gal to his 10gal.

#4 ·
I added some more above hun. ;)

A 10 gal is fine. Adding plants is a great help because it breaks up the line of sight (thus making it look less massive to him), absorbs amonia (so far less spikes), and gives him something to lay on. Mine loves the plants in his :)
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 ·
lol! That would be a sight. Although, it's more of a depth thing. I would cap it at 1.5-2 feet deep. That's why breeders work so well for them. Besides, the deeper the tank, the more of a pain it is to clean! Havin to stick your arm in all the way up to your shoulder is not fun! :mad: XD

So how long have you been fishkeeping? Do you know about cycling? Given any thought to tankmates?
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
I know about cycling, but I also thought a single male in a 55gal would look silly. I've had bettas for about 2 1/2 years now. My university only allows me to keep my betta in a 10gal. So as long as the depth is 1.5-2 feet, the number of gallons doesn't matter? Wouldn't the betta just end up staying in the area where you fed it?

#8 ·
I think at that point people tend to do a community type tank than just betta. Like cories and such. There are plenty of fish that can get along with an even tempered betta if you happen to find one.

The problem is larger tanks is some bettas get nervous with all the extra space if it isn't adequately filled with decor and plants. Wide, open space in nature can get an animal killed so that avoidance and dislike is instinct.

Theoretically you probably could keep two males in a large, shallow tank though I would bet outdoor ponds would be best at that point, with plenty of cover. Even then it's risky. Splitting tanks or having many small tanks is a bit easier. If you had a shallow enough tank you could split it many, many ways.

#10 ·
If you have the tank decorated properly, they will explore every last inch of their tank. Wouldn't you?

For example, I had 1 little Betta fry somehow get into my 25 gal (I think it happened when I moved a plant over). I couldn't catch the little wiggle butt, so I eventually gave up and chalked it up to a loss. I didn't see it for a few days and went on feeding the only other inhabitants of the tank at the time, 2 loaches (now I have 6). After three or four days, there it is, just a swimmin around near the surface! It must have been sharing food with the loaches. 3 weeks later, it's still in that big ol' tank and I've seen it swimming every inch of the tank and through every piece of decore. They are such little messes! XD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.